• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magical Express to end in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t even know what you’re trying to say.

Disney is still charging you for DME. There is no line item discount thats going to occur starting in 2022 and Ive got a bridge to sell you if you think its not clear they arent going to continue to charge.

Disney is still charging you for DME. There is no line item discount thats going to occur starting in 2022 and Ive got a bridge to sell you if you think its not clear they arent going to continue to charge.
There also wasn’t a line item charge for DME either. It was a perk. I really doubt that Disney was explicitly factoring it in to the room cost. It was a perk. Perks come and go.

Are you also mad because they’re still “charging” for 60 day fastpasses even though FP+ has been suspended?

Disagreement isn't trolling. The question of whether Disney is still charging for DME isn't cut and dry. From one perspective, they're not charging for a service they no longer offer. You could look at it from the perspective that Disney isn't charging people for perks, they're just using perks to get people to book at their hotels. Would you consider Disney to be charging guests for the extra fastpass window even though fastpasses aren't being offered right now?

Disney isn't going to lower rack rate room prices. Most people don't pay rack rate anyways. It's all about what kinds of discounts they offer, especially now. If hotel numbers are still bad after COVID is in the past, you'll see very good discounts come out.

Someone who nit picks, argues with everything, whether it makes sense over and over and over and over again is a
TROLL, to me. I love discussions and we have some great ones on here with many differing views. But to consistently irritate and argue tells me that he must love to argue. Great if he wants to, but I have used my ignore button so I don't care anymore.
[/QUOTE]
i don't see any trolling.

And people still go to WDW because there is not a lot of alternatives for the tween and below population.

Not really sure how you can say this? There are tonnes of theme parks all around the country, small ones, big ones, nice ones.... that are perfect for that age group. There are plenty of beautiful zoos and aquariums coast to coast. There are water parks, great mini-golf, beaches, Great Wolf lodges etc... So, there is most definitely not a lack of alternatives. The only real thing Disney has going for it (as far as being an "option for tweens and younger"), is that it's "Disney" - it offers that storytelling connection, bringing the stories to life. That's what makes it stand out.

But I most definitely think that post-Covid, for those whose dollars are tight, where they might have considered going to Disney before, they'll now explore the many other more affordable options instead.

And people still go to WDW because there is not a lot of alternatives for the tween and below population.

Try RV’ing first couple of days kids will hate it, after that if you go to some of the amazing national parks kids will be begging to extend the trip. Lots to see if you just look, Make sure you have a goto telescope and binoculars as well.

Not really sure how you can say this? There are tonnes of theme parks all around the country, small ones, big ones, nice ones.... that are perfect for that age group. There are plenty of beautiful zoos and aquariums coast to coast. There are water parks, great mini-golf, beaches, Great Wolf lodges etc... So, there is most definitely not a lack of alternatives. The only real thing Disney has going for it (as far as being an "option for tweens and younger"), is that it's "Disney" - it offers that storytelling connection, bringing the stories to life. That's what makes it stand out.

But I most definitely think that post-Covid, for those whose dollars are tight, where they might have considered going to Disney before, they'll now explore the many other more affordable options instead.

Or like us where I’m a pilot we traded the DVC dream for the dream of owning a plane. So many places reachable only by jeep or small plane. So much beauty in the world if one only looks for it.

speaks to how expensive Disney has become when operating a plane outside of fuel cost is cheaper than owning a few hundred dvc points we owned 800. Planes like mine have a annual inspection and maintenance which usually runs 600-2500 depending which is still far less than MF’s

And yes there are still some TSA hassles but none of them involve pat downs or removal of shoes. And some expensive FAA mandates like ADS-B but that really increased airway safety as now all planes are broadcasting altitude,airspeed,heading,climb/descent plus realtime satellite weather is available. Clouds are pretty on the ground but you want avoid them if at all possible in the air.

And I miss visiting Disney, but at least now I dont need to think about when I visit what has been removed like entertainer/meal/show/ride. Which is sad as in the pre Iger days there was always something new even if it was nothing more than a new dish at a favorite dining spot.

When we go somewhere in the plane we see new things often things we never imagined.

Last edited:

Try RV’ing first couple of days kids will hate it, after that if you go to some of the amazing national parks kids will be begging to extend the trip. Lots to see if you just look, Make sure you have a goto telescope and binoculars as well.

Our kids would LOVE to do an RV trip! They keep asking why we can't buy one and just take off and hit the road. They don't seem to understand things like budgets and lack of money, LOL. But we keep going to the RV shows to walk through them and drool.... C'mon lotto ticket! lol.

People still go to WDW because they like WDW. That’s just the reality. It’s not because they are forced to or there aren’t other options.

In the 30+ years I’ve gone to WDW, perks have come and gone. Attractions and experiences have come and gone, things taken away, things added. Every trip we ask ourselves - did we have fun? The answer is ALWAYS yes and we can’t wait to do it again. Over the past 5 years, we’ve had some of the most magical experiences at WDW. Lifelong memories. So, yeah. We’ll keep going. The feelings we have after our trips are worth every penny.

We don’t get caught up in the minutia of this line item that line item blah blah. And I say this as someone who has used DME every single time we’ve flown to Orlando since it launched in 2005. I’m sad it will be gone. It was an awesome service that made our lives easier with little kids. But it is absolutely not a deal breaker for us going to WDW.

Last edited:
Our kids would LOVE to do an RV trip! They keep asking why we can't buy one and just take off and hit the road. They don't seem to understand things like budgets and lack of money, LOL. But we keep going to the RV shows to walk through them and drool.... C'mon lotto ticket! lol.

They are available for rent and thats a great way to do an RV trip without the overhead of owning one

Why - why would you think that Disney wouldn't do this ? I just don't understand? If you've been listening to investor calls for the past few years almost every call goes the same: "We've increased profits due to two factors: decreased operating costs (cuts) and increased prices" - This has been Disney's MO for years. Cut what they are offering while increasing prices. Or, charge for something you were already paying for (Resort Parking) and increase prices further.
So this may be a good situation for the "we will agree to disagree" comment. Operating costs consist of much more than DME. I could list the hundreds of operating costs associated with the resorts and parks (found on a website), but that would seriously bore you. But here is an example: the energy associated with operating the parks and resorts (operating costs) is a huge dollar spend and Disney over the years has reduced that cost by utilizing new technologies. They have done that across all kinds of operating costs. It doesn't mean they will charge you for something that they are not being provided.

This is probably something we will agree to disagree on.

[WQUOTE="DisFanDad, post: 62712037, member: 584928"]
Why - why would you think that Disney wouldn't do this ? I just don't understand? If you've been listening to investor calls for the past few years almost every call goes the same: "We've increased profits due to two factors: decreased operating costs (cuts) and increased prices" - This has been Disney's MO for years. Cut what they are offering while increasing prices. Or, charge for something you were already paying for (Resort Parking) and increase prices further.

Why doesn't he understand? A troll, or just likes to get on sites and argue for the sake of arguing? Sounds like it to me!
I just use the "good ole" ignore button:)
[/QUOTE]
LOL, so you are resorting to name calling now? It takes two people to argue. And how am I the troll when I am the one with the optimistic/positive position? My opinion is that Disney wouldn't rip people off by charging them for something not being provided...and that makes me a troll? So apparently if someone doesn't just pile on with more negativity towards Disney then that person is a "troll"? That stance just shows how negative and toxic some of these threads have become.

LOL, so you are resorting to name calling now? It takes two people to argue. And how am I the troll when I am the one with the optimistic/positive position? My opinion is that Disney wouldn't rip people off by charging them for something not being provided...and that makes me a troll? So apparently if someone doesn't just pile on with more negativity towards Disney then that person is a "troll"? That stance just shows how negative and toxic some of these threads have become.

It's not negativity as much as accepting reality. There's a big difference, but optimists typically fail to realize that.

Why doesn't he understand? A troll, or just likes to get on sites and argue for the sake of arguing? Sounds like it to me!
I just use the "good ole" ignore button:)
Disagreement isn't trolling. The question of whether Disney is still charging for DME isn't cut and dry. From one perspective, they're not charging for a service they no longer offer. You could look at it from the perspective that Disney isn't charging people for perks, they're just using perks to get people to book at their hotels. Would you consider Disney to be charging guests for the extra fastpass window even though fastpasses aren't being offered right now?

Disney isn't going to lower rack rate room prices. Most people don't pay rack rate anyways. It's all about what kinds of discounts they offer, especially now. If hotel numbers are still bad after COVID is in the past, you'll see very good discounts come out.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you. Heaven forbid that someone has a different opinion. And, as everyone on this site knows, the cost for DME was being passed on to the resort guests. So why would it be out of bounds to think that Disney wouldn't charge for the DME if it was being discontinued? Not sure why that is such a "trolling" opinion. If your cable/phone/internet were all bundled and the carrier discontinued providing one of those three services, wouldn't you expect the cost of that service to be taken out of your bill? Yes, you would. But apparently if you state that Disney will do the same it is trolling.

If your cable/phone/internet were all bundled and the carrier discontinued providing one of those three services, wouldn't you expect the cost of that service to be taken out of your bill? Yes, you would. But apparently if you state that Disney will do the same it is trolling.

The difference is, we're all trying to tell you Disney is NOT going to take that cost out of our bill - because they never have, and they never will - that would be foolish for them. The 2022 rates show that they have not done so. Yet you refuse to listen to that. THAT is why you're being called a troll by some.

It's not negativity as much as accepting reality. There's a big difference, but optimists typically fail to realize that.
You may be right. The funny thing is that, in general, I'm not an unabashed optimist. I actually am a realist. I work in the medical device industry and, probably because of that, I have become much more "data driven". Rather than re-hash my opinion on DME, I will just try to let this die out. Again, we'll agree to disagree...and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I do agree with other opinions you have had and respect a lot of your opinions. Just know, I really wasn't trolling. I was simply disagreeing. :)

You may be right. The funny thing is that, in general, I'm not an unabashed optimist. I actually am a realist. I work in the medical device industry and, probably because of that, I have become much more "data driven". Rather than re-hash my opinion on DME, I will just try to let this die out. Again, we'll agree to disagree...and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I do agree with other opinions you have had and respect a lot of your opinions. Just know, I really wasn't trolling. I was simply disagreeing. :)

To be fair, I never accused you of being a troll ;) That was someone else. I may have thought you a bit of a naive-optimist perhaps in this particular case, lol, but not a troll. Also, for the record, as another realist, I think we always have a certain area where we are willing to forgo reality a bit, and cling to our hopes and dreams instead. :)

To be fair, I never accused you of being a troll ;) That was someone else. I may have thought you a bit of a naive-optimist perhaps in this particular case, lol, but not a troll. Also, for the record, as another realist, I think we always have a certain area where we are willing to forgo reality a bit, and cling to our hopes and dreams instead. :)
LOL! It's all good...I know you weren't the one who used that term. I think you hit the nail on the head with that last sentence. This is Disney!! It's all about magic and dreams, right? It's not about $$. Now THERE is some naive optimism for you, lol!

Last edited:
LOL! It's all good...I know you weren't the one who used that term. I think you hit the nail on the head with that last sentence. This is Disney!! It's all about magic and dreams, right? It's not about $$. Now THERE is some naive optimism for you, lol!

You know, I got the Disney Life magazine special for Christmas, and it's been eye-opening. All those of us who have complained about corporate greed, and how Disney would be rolling in his grave...

Turns out, probably not so much. Now, while he certainly was more willing to spend money on the parks, and keep prices more affordable for the guest than the current management does, Disney himself was just as shrewd, at times cold-hearted of an employer as currently management. He had no qualms at all in paying his employees pittance, while he and others raked in the cash. It was a bit painful to have that image I had of him ruined. I had really wanted to see him as the warm, caring, benevolent employer who treated employees fairly etc...one not concerned with profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter