Major competition coming for the Disney Wish?

When you are so rich that you think that $6K is "not that far apart". LOL
I don't sail concierge either, but to put it in perspective, Royal was 20% cheaper in that example. If you went by the "DCL vs RCCL Comparison" videos on YT, they always claim Disney is double what Royal costs. So while I also can't afford either of those price tags, KevinFL's point still stands. In this case, they were a lot closer together than people tend to think.

I don't sail concierge either, but to put it in perspective, Royal was 20% cheaper in that example. If you went by the "DCL vs RCCL Comparison" videos on YT, they always claim Disney is double what Royal costs. So while I also can't afford either of those price tags, KevinFL's point still stands. In this case, they were a lot closer together than people tend to think.
It was a joke man.

Yes thank you BrokeMack it is the percentage spread that is not so different as it used to always be touted as. After we booked the RCL Concierge at that price tag we did have a good bit of buyer's remorse realizing it was almost another DCL summer concierge sailing we could have done.

Lilsia, it is no doubt crazy the prices these concierge cabins go for. What is amazing is they sell out and there are multiple cruise lines each with many ships and many cabins in that class on each ship and they are all sailing year round with repeated sailings and they are selling these things out. Look for a DCL Concierge cabin between now and December and you will find most are all sold out. The first time I did Concierge I never thought I would spend that much on a cruise. For us it has become a go to family vacation with the kids we enjoy the ease of it all and the family environment that DCL has. We try to avoid the peak months when the rates are that absurd but for those down weeks in the summer when kids are out of school and out of sports or camp you sometimes get desperate and the cruise lines have you right where they want you 😂

I hate the nickel and diming of other cruise lines. I also watch the Shiplife and he recently went on a Carnival cruise that cost him quite a bit for what you get, IMO. Personally, I would never sail Carnival especially not after all of the issues in the last few years.
For me, I don't think that the ship fosters that "Disney magic" as you are saying, but the cruisers do. The whole ship feels more like family experience. Everyone is connected through their love of Disney and they seem to be nicer to each other.
tbh the Mardi Gras looks pretty darn good. And I don't think J books things right when they come out, and sometimes he'll book pretty late. So I do think that he sometimes gets hosed on the price. But he's generally upfront about how much he paid (or if it was a sponsored cruise) and sometimes he makes mention about when he bought the cruise.

I mean, I’m doing a Norwegian Fjords cruise on Royal next year and it was about 60% of what Disney cost for the same cruise, with better ports. Royal highly varies depending on itinerary and ship and Disney varies more depending on date. When I sailed Oasis in 2015 it was not that far off what I would pay for the Fantasy, but this was in September so not peak season.

tbh the Mardi Gras looks pretty darn good. And I don't think J books things right when they come out, and sometimes he'll book pretty late. So I do think that he sometimes gets hosed on the price. But he's generally upfront about how much he paid (or if it was a sponsored cruise) and sometimes he makes mention about when he bought the cruise.
We really liked the Mardi Gras, so much so that we will sail her again next year.

I mean, I’m doing a Norwegian Fjords cruise on Royal next year and it was about 60% of what Disney cost for the same cruise, with better ports. Royal highly varies depending on itinerary and ship and Disney varies more depending on date. When I sailed Oasis in 2015 it was not that far off what I would pay for the Fantasy, but this was in September so not peak season.
Yeah, that's why I've had issues trying to convince family to sail DCL with us. YouTubers make it sound like Disney is always twice as expensive. Sometimes it is, but depending on the ship and season, Royal often costs as much (before adding in the things DCL includes that RCCL up-charges for). People have to do the work to compare apples to apples.

Disney is in its own lane. Period. I don't think I've seen them react to another ship coming on line from another company. They just keep doing their thing.

I am sure some people will jump and try that ship. Personally, I wouldn't. You're talking a bigger ship on that short itinerary that you don't have enough time to see the ship anyways.

I've compared back and forth prices between various cruise lines yes Disney is more expensive but its not as sticker shock as most people see. Plus for us its the kids clubs that really have it for us. That ship I think I read has like 5.7k passangers where the Wish only has 4k. More people, huge ship, short itenerary, its going to be a no from me.

I'd also argue that the Wish isn't the best ship in Port Canaveral either tho...

Disney is in its own lane. Period. I don't think I've seen them react to another ship coming on line from another company. They just keep doing their thing.

I am sure some people will jump and try that ship. Personally, I wouldn't. You're talking a bigger ship on that short itinerary that you don't have enough time to see the ship anyways.

I've compared back and forth prices between various cruise lines yes Disney is more expensive but its not as sticker shock as most people see. Plus for us its the kids clubs that really have it for us. That ship I think I read has like 5.7k passangers where the Wish only has 4k. More people, huge ship, short itenerary, its going to be a no from me.

I'd also argue that the Wish isn't the best ship in Port Canaveral either tho...

I will say with royal a 3/4 night don't seem to feel as short overall with how they do the first day. You can be on the ship as early as 10:30am, they don't close everything down for the safety drill and they don't cover up pools for a sailaway party. We just did one and the first day we did more on Royal then we ever could on Disney. Neither is right or wrong just more you do get more time in a way.

Yeah, that's why I've had issues trying to convince family to sail DCL with us. YouTubers make it sound like Disney is always twice as expensive. Sometimes it is, but depending on the ship and season, Royal often costs as much (before adding in the things DCL includes that RCCL up-charges for). People have to do the work to compare apples to apples.
Hit the nail on the head. Do your research, and explore other options so that you can be fully confident that you're making the right choices for you and your group.

I will say with royal a 3/4 night don't seem to feel as short overall with how they do the first day. You can be on the ship as early as 10:30am, they don't close everything down for the safety drill and they don't cover up pools for a sailaway party. We just did one and the first day we did more on Royal then we ever could on Disney. Neither is right or wrong just more you do get more time in a way.
3/4 nights will never feel long enough for me. :)

Hit the nail on the head. Do your research, and explore other options so that you can be fully confident that you're making the right choices for you and your group.

3/4 nights will never feel long enough for me. :)

With royal 4 nights was more than enough..but I think its because there is less of the other stuff to do . Not as many trivias/towel folding, crafts, drawing etc. You can only do slides, flowrider, rock wall so much.

It's kind of funny because the daytime activities you mention aren't things I'm interested in doing. I may do some random upcharge things (drink tastings, sushi lessons etc) but I'm good with doing slides, rock wall or just falling asleep by the pool and enjoying that sea air. (We'll see what Princess has to offer me this winter.)

I actually did some skating on my last Royal cruise. I was a little rusty at the time but it was fun (ended up doing a bit of outdoor skating during the pandemic, so less rusty now).

I've sailed with a few different companies and 3/4 are always super short feeling.

I’d consider this ship over Disney for sure. The reality for our family now that we have kids is we are priced out of DCL except for once every few years. More frequent/spur of the moment trips have to be Royal for us.

We are paying nearly $3500 for a 4 night cruise on the wish in October and to me that is just flat out insane. I question it every day lol

I am trying to see how other cruise lines nickel and dime more.. The only thing I see "free" on DCL is the soft drinks and room service. Anything else special is an upcharge too on DCL. MSC recently in europe has great crafts sessions on sea day for free. Though the smoke with bad in some places...

DCL is horrible with extra tipping pressure IMO. That is what I love about other lines, no pressure to give more.

Royal definitely nick and dimes but you can avoid those things for the most part if you want. I do think a lot of things are cheaper on DCL once you get on. For example a Jack and Coke costs me like $8 on Disney vs $12ish on Royal. That adds up but I assume Royal does it to try to get you on the drink package

I am trying to see how other cruise lines nickel and dime more.. The only thing I see "free" on DCL is the soft drinks and room service. Anything else special is an upcharge too on DCL. MSC recently in europe has great crafts sessions on sea day for free. Though the smoke with bad in some places...

DCL is horrible with extra tipping pressure IMO. That is what I love about other lines, no pressure to give more.

I didn't like how RCCL does sales on everything, It was exhausting checking all the time to see if a price went down on a drink package, internet, excursion etc. We did a peak week cruise and in the end everything cost more (excursion, drink packages, etc) then had we been on a less full ship.

I tend to interpret n+d as more of the push to buy those upcharge items instead of the upcharge itself. I mean yes, there's the not-included soda package, but that doesn't add up to a 20% difference in cost, and many people learn to live without soft drinks for a few days.

But when you get on board, and can't recognize and avoid, you will encounter a lot of people pushing various packages to you.

And there's also the fact that prices are variable on the Cruise Planner. Not to a ridiculous degree, mind you, but enough that you need to monitor the planner for price changes that benefit you.

I didn't like how RCCL does sales on everything, It was exhausting checking all the time to see if a price went down on a drink package, internet, excursion etc. We did a peak week cruise and in the end everything cost more (excursion, drink packages, etc) then had we been on a less full ship.
I also think Royal doesn’t emphasize quality of the food or service in main dining to get you to pay for upgraded dining options. On the Allure we noticed huge differences in free and paid dining options

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter