Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FOUR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm sure someone else has probably answered this question, but my inlaws are thinking about going on the trip with us, would they be able to stay at GKTW with us? I know they have to pay for everything else, I was just curious if that was allowed.

Here is Miss K's photo with Selena!!

DSC_0037.jpg
Love that picture w ith Katelyn and Selena!! I wish that was me (if it wasn't for that security guard when I met the Jonas Brothers).

Welcome everyone!!! It's great to have some newbies around!!

Getting so impatient waiting for dates for Emily's MAW/GKTW trip. How long does it usually take to find out? We were told it would be possible to go the first or second week of December.

Meanwhile, Emily had to spend a couple of days in the hospital 2 weeks ago. While there, my husband's boss bough her and Erin Cinderella dresses to wear when they visit BBB at Disney! That was a much needed lift for her and got us anxious to get this trip planned!

Owen made his wish in March and we requested the first week of December. We just got dates two weeks ago!! Each chapter is so different and it just depends on how busy the Wish Manager is. If you do end up going the first week of December.. we will see you there!! :)

Thanks for the Welcome! I posted in the pre-trip report section but have no idea how to link to it lol. Im kinda clueless when it comes to this stuff! I gave some brief info about our family there, should I just start again here? I am loving all the info!!!!

Welcome. Copy the URL of your Pre Trip Report.. then create a link in your signature. I think there are specific instructions on this thread.. Page 1. Just scroll down past the wish links. That sounded totally confusing! Sorry.

Hello Everyone! My name is Vanessa, we just found out on Saturday that our daughter has been medically approved for a Wish. And of course she wishes for a trip to meet the princesses at Disney.

A little background about us. My husband Sean & I have been married almost 8 years and together almost 11. We met when we were both station in Japan back in 2000. I was in the Air Force & he was in the Navy.

I got stationed in California in 2003, we got married in April 2004 & Keira was born in May 2005.

I got stationed in Alaska in 2006, so we were off again, our son joined us in February 2008.

I got out in June of 2009 & we moved to Michigan to be near my husband's family.

April 8, 2010 we found out that our daughter who was 4 at the time had cancer. A large mass in her belly, 10cm to be exact. It was surrounding her kidney. She'd been complaining that her stomach was bothering her on & off for I guess about a 5 weeks, it actually started the week we took a quick one day trip to Disney while we were visiting family in Florida. We thought it was constipaption, gave her meds and it seemed to help, took her to the doc and they said the same thing, took her back and they asked to get blood work & a chest x-ray. That night she seemed to be feeling worse, my DH took her to the ER at the University of Michigan hospital & I stayed home with our 2 year old son.

Turns out it was a Wilms tumor, she had a 9 1/2 hour surgery the next day to remove the tumor & her kidney. They started 18 weeks of chemo the following week. It all went great, she didn't loose her hair or anything like that. She was stage 2.

Fast forward to May 12, 2011, another mass was found in her liver. It was only 3 months since her last scans & they were clear, so we were shocked. She did 16 days of radiation, we're still working through chemo, she's been bald now for about 2 months, but she loves it. LOL! We had scans done last week and the tumor has gone from 8cm to around 2cm. She still has great odds, 80% cure/survival rate, she's doing great through the chemo. We should be hearing about surgery soon & if we stay on course, 1st week of December she'll be done with treatment.

I honestly never considered make a wish, I always thought it was for dying children. A family friend nominated Keira, her son had cancer & he did an Alaskan Cruise for his wish. I'm so thrilled she gets to do something amazing like this after everything she's been through.

We'll keep your daughter in our prayers. What a fighter!! You'll have to start a Pre Trip Report to keep us posted!!

I certainly will, I guess I just do that in the pre trip area? I'm so excited my girl gets to do something amazing like this! She deserves it! & my son will be turning 4 in February, so he'll actually understand all the excitement!

Welcome everyone!!! It's great to have some newbies around!!

We'll keep your daughter in our prayers. What a fighter!! You'll have to start a Pre Trip Report to keep us posted!!

:welcome: to all of our new Wish trippers out there!!! This board is sooo helpful!! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!! I guarantee someone will have an answer for you!! ;)

We had some more serious Big Give action this weekend!! Head on over to our pre-trippie to see what the Fairie-Godmothers left us!!

Hello everyone! I am back!! :)

I am sorry for my long hiatus from the DIS. I hope to explain a bit about why I have been gone so long - it is a mixture of several things and I hope you will not mind if I catch you guys up on my world real quick - then I hope to jump back in here. I have a LOT of catching up to do on this thread!

Several major things have happened in the past few months that have affected my world in real life and have just taken up my time and thought space to the point where I just didn't have the time or mental/emotional energy to DIS.

First of all, Lauren is settled at college! :yay: :woohoo: Helping get her settled in was quite an accomplishment for her parents and me. :laundy::laundy::laundy: Lauren has hired 4 wonderful ladies who are splitting 14 eight hour shifts a week to take care of her. This is paid by the State Independent Living Waiver and if Lauren did not have it, she could not live on campus at school. But it literally took an act of "congress" - we had to get a Legislative Review in order for it to be approved in time for her to get to school. Then we had dorm stuff to buy and all the regular "college" stuff to do, too. It was a busy few months!

Now that Lauren is settled in, her Mom and I are splitting "night shifts." The state does not pay for anyone to stay with Lauren at night - and her family can't afford to pay a nurse all night - so her Mom and I split sleeping at the dorm. It really isn't hard - in fact, I am here right now just playing on the computer and watching TV. It is kinda fun to be a small part of dorm life and the only really hard part is finding a place for my dog, Muffin, to spend the night - but I have lots of friends that are playing "foster Mom" to Muffin and she is happy to be hanging out with bunches of people, I suppose - lots more fun than hanging out at my place all the time. :upsidedow

But the main reason I have not been on the DIS is that my time and energy has been wrapped up in a federal case. Literally a Federal Case. :sad2: Through one of my jobs, I basically came across some records that suggested a terrible crime was being continually committed against people who could not really stand up for themselves. For the last few months I have spent countless hours meeting with lawyers, pouring over reports, creating spreadsheet after spreadsheet to provide details that will help describe the issue and prosecute this person and meeting with federal investigators myself. This has resulted in (finally) the defendant being put in jail. This week I had to give testimony regarding the issue to a Federal Grand Jury. Now that I have testified and since they are in jail, I feel ok sharing this much with you guys.

For obvious reasons, I could not go "public" with this on the DIS. My life is pretty transparent here on the DIS and many people here know me in real life - I consider many of you to be dear friends of mine :hug: - but while the person was still out there and not realizing that they were about to get in major trouble, I simply could not post anything about it on the DIS. There was a real flight risk, which is why the person is sitting in jail with no hope for release any time soon. :mad: I hope you guys understand.

I will still be a little vague until this person has been indicted for their crime - but that could take quite some time. Now that I am confident that they have been caught and are not going to be getting out of jail for some time, I feel comfortable saying this much on the DIS. Many people in my area know about it now, it is no longer a major secret, but in fairness to the defendant and the people who are still unaware of this person's crimes against them, I will still be vague here.

I will ask you, PLEASE, if you are my Facebook friend - please do not post about this on my Facebook page at all. Please, please. There are FB friends of mine that are still not aware of this. I almost did not post this here because I really don't want posts on Facebook suggesting anything is going on in my world. These people don't come on the DIS, but out of respect for them, I hope that my friends here will refrain from mentioning any of this on my FB page. I am not mentioning anything on there, either.

This person will very, very likely eventually be indicted and this will become public knowledge at some point. I won't mind sharing more details at that time, but for now, I hope this is enough to sort of explain where I have been.

I have enjoyed living life on the DIS - and I am glad to be back! :love: Even my real life friends have either been "in" on this whole thing and have been one of very few confidants or have found me to be too busy to spend much time with them and not really having any idea what is "wrong" with me. I have friends in real life that are wondering where I have been for the past few months, too.

Anyway! I am back! I hope that you guys will forgive my long absence!

Now I have a LOT of reading to catch up on. I will be updating all the threads that I can find with dates and seeking out new wish trip reports to post on the first page here...this may take me a few days, honestly. If you want to be in the "front" of the line, feel free to post any links or dates here and I will check here first! :)

I have missed you guys!!! :hug::hug::hug::hug:

:dance3::dance3::dance3::yay::yay::yay::woohoo::woohoo: So glad youre black and Lauren is settled in! Hooray for you for doing the right thing!

Remember me? I already went on my Wish trip, maroo! Can you believe it? An you still have me on the "Anxiously awaiting dates" list..:laughing:

I'm starting my TR: already has Days 1 and 2 posted.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2791041

My dd and I just signed up for our first 5K......a Fundraiser for GKTW!!!:cool1:

For those interested: you can sign up to run/walk at the GKTW site. You can also donate. You can also sponsor us if you like :) (I would love to raise over our goal) You can also pray, because this is one of the craziest things I have ever done :rotfl:

My dd and I just signed up for our first 5K......a Fundraiser for GKTW!!!:cool1:

For those interested: you can sign up to run/walk at the GKTW site. You can also donate. You can also sponsor us if you like :) (I would love to raise over our goal) You can also pray, because this is one of the craziest things I have ever done :rotfl:

Would you please post the link for your sponsor page. :goodvibes

I just had an urgent prayer request from a former Wish Family for friends whose baby has the same Cardiac Defect Lisa was born with. This family needs LOTS of prayers please!

Cool - when is it? You girls are gonna have so much fun -lol!! And for GKTW is AWESOME!!!!!!! WAY TO GO C AND M!!!!:wizard:

Preston is feeling better today. He went to the physical therapist today. After having a sprain and problems after a deep muscle massage at the therapists, it has taken 5 weeks to get back to being able to walk again with a limp. The therapist said he didn't understand what was going on, but after seeing him attempt his exercises and checking his range of motion, he feels like we need to start back at basically ground zero. He is actually losing ground on his strength and range of motion. Please keep him in your thoughts. He wants to try to build up to being able to walk at Disney and not use a wheelchair. Synovial:flower3:

MAW is working on the details of Lindsay's trip to Disney/Universal the week of Christmas. We are not staying at GKTW...I "think" we are staying on Disney propert but not sure about where we will stay while at Universal. Does anyone have info on Universals policy for Handicapped customers? Linds is in a wheelchair and has issues with stamina so we are trying to try and do as much as we can in a short amount of time each day. Thanks for any advice!

We are onto the next stage, whatever that means, but woot!

A form was lost and we had to send that back before the next step. It is in now so we are one step closer.

Preston is feeling better today. He went to the physical therapist today. After having a sprain and problems after a deep muscle massage at the therapists, it has taken 5 weeks to get back to being able to walk again with a limp. The therapist said he didn't understand what was going on, but after seeing him attempt his exercises and checking his range of motion, he feels like we need to start back at basically ground zero. He is actually losing ground on his strength and range of motion. Please keep him in your thoughts. He wants to try to build up to being able to walk at Disney and not use a wheelchair. Synovial:flower3:

I am glad at least that Preston is feeling better, hopefully that will translate in the ability to work hard bringing back strength! Gabbie has made great strides in that area, but continues to wear out quickly....we will be bringing her stroller for sure

The countdown for Gabbie's trip??? 1 MONTH!! :jumping2:

WOW...your trip is coming up quickly! When will you meet with your wish volunteers? What special things do you have planned?

I'm not sure when we will be meeting, kinda starting to worry:confused3. My son is most excited about seeing the Christmas lights and Animal Kingdom. No matter what, it will be wonderful to finally have a family vacation!!:love:

Welcome to all the new people!!!

I wish that I was able to be on, but everytime I am about to settle, something happens with my Em and we are back in the hospital. So her pre-trip pretty much stopped. Sorry....

On the flip side to that we are at 10 days until we leave tor Disney!!!!!! We are so happy and my husband and could not have relized how much we needed this trip when we first started this Make-a-Wish adventure. Since May Em have been told she has 2 other pretty big issues.

Before we leave I hope someone can help me with 2 questions. Are we supposed to tip at BBB?
We live in Fla. We only have 1.5 hour drive the most. What time can we go to GKTW, do we call ahead of time?
Thanks!

Em's wish party is on Saturday, and we are all so happy, doing last minute shopping and just have a smile on all our faces!:)

Thanks again!!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/emilywallace

We are doing the dance over here!!! NO!! Not the potty dance!! We are down to ....

:cool1::banana::banana::yay::woohoo::dance3::cheer2::banana::banana::banana:

AND...we had LOTS & LOTS of Big Give action today!! Stop by our PTR to see what the Fairy Godmothers sent today!!

I am glad at least that Preston is feeling better, hopefully that will translate in the ability to work hard bringing back strength! Gabbie has made great strides in that area, but continues to wear out quickly....we will be bringing her stroller for sure

The countdown for Gabbie's trip??? 1 MONTH!! :jumping2:

congratulations on your trip. Looks like you will be heading down just a couple of weeks before us. October is a wonderful time to go. I just read your pre-trip report, the best time to go to the parks is as soon as they open up in the mornings. I was there at 8:00 when they opened the gates and it was probably only about 150-200 people with us. We were able to ride everything and be done by 12:00 with rides. People started coming in at 11:00. Hope you have a good time! Synovial

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter