making things from scratch?

Its especially good to do this in hot weather - I use the dough cycle on my breadmaker (as I have a medium one to fit my small kitchen but need a large loaf for my hungry family:rolleyes1) plop it in the loaf pan and in 40 mins its risen enough to go in the oven:goodvibes I find cut bread from the shop goes mouldy too quickly in summer while home-made bread doesn't have that problem - partly because it gets eaten quicker:rotfl2:

I make spreadable butter. It is easy and much cheaper than buying Land o Lakes in a tub.

1 cup butter softened (completely)
3/4 cup canola oil
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a mixer bowl. Beat at low speed until combined; then beat at high speed for 2 minutes. We love it.

I do this with 1/2 C of olive oil.

Does anyone know how to make freezer strawberry jam? My grandma used to make it and it was great!

I do this with 1/2 C of olive oil.

Does anyone know how to make freezer strawberry jam? My grandma used to make it and it was great!
I don't. But my Mom does. Next time I talk to her I'll get her recipe.

Strawberry Freezer Jam

2 cups crushed strawberries
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (bottled actually better)
4 cups sugar
1 pouch CERTO fruit Pectin

Measure the EXACT amounts. Stir sugar into prepared fruit. Mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes, stir occasionally.

Stir pectin into lemon juice in small bowl.

Stir pectin mixture into prepared fruit. Stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved an no longer grainy, about 3 minutes (a few sugar crystals may remain).

Pour into prepared containers, leaving 1/2" headspace at top for expansion; cover.

Let stand at room temperature 24 hours until set. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks. Otherwise store in freezer for up to a year. Thaw in refrigerator.

:stir: You can get more recipes from The
BALL® website, http://www.freshpreserving.com/. Check out their recipe section under Freezing, and their discussion boards under Jam & Jelly Making. They have many recipes for different freezer jams.

Also from http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/search/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=cat&type_of_meal=13&scatid=158&idtext=Jams%2FJellies%2FPreserves|Freezer%20Jams%2FJellies
They also have many recipes for freezer jams.

~Homemade Oreo Cookies~

2 pkg Duncan Hines chocolate cake mix
4 eggs
2/3 c. oil

Icing:
1/2 c. cream cheese
2 c. icing sugar
1/8 c. margarine
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix the first 3 ings. together; form into small balls. Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 deg. Flatten cookies slightly with the bottom of a flat glass that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cool completely. Fill with white icing.

I cut this recipe in half.

What is icing sugar? Where do I found it?? Thanks.

I like huckleberries, but find a whole pie too rich.
Instead, I add between 1/2 and 1 cup to an apple pie
when I bake it. They give it a nice rosy color and
add great flavor. :)

Holy cow! This thread is a blast from the past. Thanks for bumping it up. My DMil recently showed me how to make homemade pot pie squares for PA Dutch Chicken Pot Pie. Now, me and my DMom are getting together and we're going to make a big batch of the Pot Pie squares that we will allow to dry to use at a later time. Plus, we are going to make bread dough and pizza dough that we will freeze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter