making things from scratch?

Yesterday my DS(18) called me and said "Mom......you know how you make the world's greatest salsa......?" ( I KNEW I was in trouble.....) I said "yes......"

he said "well Danny thinks HIS Mom's salsa is the best so we are going to have a taste-test" "Can you have it ready tomorrow night so we can swap?"

Needless to say....IT WAS ON!

I basically use tomatoes(seeded and as ripe as I can get 'em)
cilantro
lime juice
onion
garlic
salt&pepper
jalapeno pepper

let macerate(my favorite word.... :rolleyes1 ) for 30 minutes and serve!

And the winner is.........?????

I found a homemade oreos recipe on the internet. Wow are they good! My kids love them and they're easy to make.

I know this isn't good for you, but I love the kettle corn they sell at the fairs. Anyone have a good recipe for it? TIA!

~Homemade Oreo Cookies~

2 pkg Duncan Hines chocolate cake mix
4 eggs
2/3 c. oil

Icing:
1/2 c. cream cheese
2 c. icing sugar
1/8 c. margarine
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix the first 3 ings. together; form into small balls. Bake 8-10 minutes at 350 deg. Flatten cookies slightly with the bottom of a flat glass that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cool completely. Fill with white icing.

I cut this recipe in half.

Assuming all 20 lbs are frozen together? If so, that's a lot of work!! ;)

Since you have the puree and have never made jelly, I'd go for a jamjelly! Usually with jelly you need to strain, 'coz you just want the juice & with jam, you use slightly crushed or whole fruit. HTH!

Basic Recipe'

5 cups berry puree
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 cups sugar
1 pack pectin

Mix puree, sugar and lemon juice together. Bring it to a full boil. Remove from heat & add sugar smoothly & quickly. Return to heat and bring to a full, rolling boil. Boil for 1 min, stirring constantly. Skim foam and ladle into jars. Process hot water bath for 10 mins, 1/4" head space.

BTW, you can add a teaspoon butter when you add the sugar to cut down on foam.

If you've never processed any jars for canning of anything, let me know; fairly simple really! :goodvibes
Hey I just read your post. Thanks so much. This seems real easy.

I know this isn't good for you, but I love the kettle corn they sell at the fairs. Anyone have a good recipe for it? TIA!

Not Kettle Corn, but one of our favorite popcorn treats...

We call it goopy popcorn

1/2 c. sugar
1/4 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 stick butter
popped popcorn- not sure how much, I just fill a big bowl with popped popcorn (maybe 1/2 cup kernals?)

Mix sugar, Karo, and butter in small saucepan. Cook over low-med until almost bubbly. Pour mixture over popcorn and stir gently. Dig in.

I feel proud of myself grating my own cheese, lol!!! You guys are giving me ideas! :)

I pipe my marshmallows out from a pastry bag. Depending on the tips, you could pipe out snowmen, snowflakes, etc. Tinting with food coloring is also an option. One christmas, I made up jars of cocoa as gifts and included my marshmallows in an attached bag. Cute, thoughtful, and inexpensive gifts.

Amy

very cute IDEA! :hug:

Best buttercream frosting. VERY fluffy and no greasy film left on the roof of your mouth

INGREDIENTS
2 cups butter, softened
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, Whip the butter on high speed, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl. Whip until double in volume. This takes a very long time, approximately 10 minutes.
While still whipping, drizzle in the heavy cream. Continue whipping until the mixture is stiff, approximately 2 to 4 minutes.
Add 1/2 of the confectioners sugar and whip until smooth. At this point, you can taste the frosting and determine if you would like to add more sugar to sweeten to taste.
Thickly frosts top and sides of two 9 inch cakes

Oh my goodness...... That sounds delish!!! :hug: As soon as I can find the time to bake a cake AND resist eating too much of it.....I am going to use this recipe!
I think that it would be really super in a fruit filled cake.

Not Kettle Corn, but one of our favorite popcorn treats...

We call it goopy popcorn

1/2 c. sugar
1/4 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 stick butter
popped popcorn- not sure how much, I just fill a big bowl with popped popcorn (maybe 1/2 cup kernals?)

Mix sugar, Karo, and butter in small saucepan. Cook over low-med until almost bubbly. Pour mixture over popcorn and stir gently. Dig in.

I've been dying for a popcorn ball all afternoon...haven't had one in years. I saw this recipe and had to try it. I just got done with it. We love it!

I sprayed pam in a large glass bowl to add the popcorn and bubbly sugar mixture and sprinkled salt on the completed dish for the sweet and salty taste. Yummy

I pipe my marshmallows out from a pastry bag. Depending on the tips, you could pipe out snowmen, snowflakes, etc. Tinting with food coloring is also an option. One christmas, I made up jars of cocoa as gifts and included my marshmallows in an attached bag. Cute, thoughtful, and inexpensive gifts.

Amy

Do you have a marshmallow recipe you would be willing to share?

It's been a while and I'm curious to see if there are any more ideas out there!:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter