Marathon Weekend 2016

Unfortunately i have to go with TA that I bought Dopey bib.

I thought you might say that but I would still question it. Disney rates are Disney rates. They shouldn't be that much higher. I mean they are $109/night higher on Beach Club and $55/night higher on POR, that's crazy.

I thought you might say that but I would still question it. Disney rates are Disney rates. They shouldn't be that much higher. I mean they are $109/night higher on Beach Club and $55/night higher on POR, that's crazy.

Can you tell me which provider was offering you the prices?

My provider doesn't sell bibs. But I went through MEI Travel. However, I was looking into a bib from Goofy through a travel provider before I decided on the marathon by itself. I was questioning the provider on prices. At the time the prices weren't released for 2016 yet so she couldn't give me definite prices. But she did tell me that there would be no mark-up on prices. Her prices would be whatever Disney prices were. That was through Heart of the Valley Travel. Who are you going through?

Looking for some insight. i was reading on a runners blog (not on DIS) about how this runner had to arrive super early to Epcot for the marathon in order to purchase a Mickey Marathon Pennant. Does anyone know if these are sold at the expo or are they only at Epcot before the race and if so where? I did not see a location selling merchandise last year. Of course I was a nervous wreck and was fairly tunnel visioned at the time! If they are sold there any suggestions on how early I would need to arrive? Thanks!

Looking for some insight. i was reading on a runners blog (not on DIS) about how this runner had to arrive super early to Epcot for the marathon in order to purchase a Mickey Marathon Pennant. Does anyone know if these are sold at the expo or are they only at Epcot before the race and if so where? I did not see a location selling merchandise last year. Of course I was a nervous wreck and was fairly tunnel visioned at the time! If they are sold there any suggestions on how early I would need to arrive? Thanks!

I don't believe there is any special merchandise sold in the merchandise tent before the race that isn't also sold at the expo but I am not 100% on that. It could be that the pennant was sold out at the expo when they went and they would have more at the tent or that they just forgot to get it before hand. The only thing I've seen at Epcot that wasn't available at the expo was a finisher shirt but that was after the race, not before. They had blank shirts or you could have your finishing time and name screened onto the back. This was 2011 though so a lot could have changed since then.

The pennants aren't technically merchandise - they're signage from the race weekend that's left over and can be sold to the public at the end of the race weekend. So there aren't vast supplies, only what's been used for the races. That's why you have to be there super early - to beat anyone else hoping to snag one! I know folks were able to get them in the merchandise tent at the final race of the weekends over the past few races.

The pennants aren't technically merchandise - they're signage from the race weekend that's left over and can be sold to the public at the end of the race weekend. So there aren't vast supplies, only what's been used for the races. That's why you have to be there super early - to beat anyone else hoping to snag one! I know folks were able to get them in the merchandise tent at the final race of the weekends over the past few races.
Wow thanks for the tip. I didn't realize they sold the signs.

Hi everyone! :wave2: I've been mostly a lurker on the boards, but I had to join in this thread because I signed up for my first marathon! I just moved to Florida for grad school, and I had been going back and forth for months on whether I wanted to try to take on the Disney marathon. Well, it turns out I just couldn't talk myself out of it! I registered on Saturday, and today is my first training run. I have a solid running background with 4 half marathons and a handful of other races, including TOT in 2014, but I'm nervous about those 15+ mile training runs. I can't wait for January to get here!

Hi everyone! :wave2: I've been mostly a lurker on the boards, but I had to join in this thread because I signed up for my first marathon! I just moved to Florida for grad school, and I had been going back and forth for months on whether I wanted to try to take on the Disney marathon. Well, it turns out I just couldn't talk myself out of it! I registered on Saturday, and today is my first training run. I have a solid running background with 4 half marathons and a handful of other races, including TOT in 2014, but I'm nervous about those 15+ mile training runs. I can't wait for January to get here!

Congrats on making the decision to do your first marathon. The training runs aren't something to be nervous about, they are just training runs. If you are having a bad day that day you take it slow. And the training runs are so important to being able to make it through the race itself. Just make the best of them and know that someone else on this thread may just be doing a long run the same time you are. :-) The race is a different story, but I get nervous before every race, even a 10K.

Having said all of that, I am nervous about my run tomorrow. I have plantar fasciitis, and tendonitis in both Achilles, and it is all acting up after my 11 mile long run yesterday. I have 6 miles scheduled tomorrow and it is going to HURT. :crutches: The worst part is I really can't afford to take any time off because I have a marathon in October and I am now behind on my training because I had to take it easy for a couple weeks. I had all these plans for my time at Disney and as of right now I am just hoping to be able to walk while I am there.

Hello All, I'm Danno, from Nashville. I did Goofy's from 2007-11, then quit and have been away from disney races since 2012 for no really good reason, but I guess I got a little nostalgic about it and decided to do the races this year. and have decided to do them again this year. The boards I used to check n on all are very slow or are gone, so I intend to hang out here a little more….reading about how other peopple are doing with their training is very motovation, and makes the process fun. I look forward to getting to know you folks!

Thanks. That helps make the blog I read make sense.

Welcome SplashRider! You have picked a great race to go the marathon distance. Good luck with your training plan and have a great race.

Congrats on making the decision to do your first marathon. The training runs aren't something to be nervous about, they are just training runs. If you are having a bad day that day you take it slow. And the training runs are so important to being able to make it through the race itself. Just make the best of them and know that someone else on this thread may just be doing a long run the same time you are. :-) The race is a different story, but I get nervous before every race, even a 10K.

Having said all of that, I am nervous about my run tomorrow. I have plantar fasciitis, and tendonitis in both Achilles, and it is all acting up after my 11 mile long run yesterday. I have 6 miles scheduled tomorrow and it is going to HURT. :crutches: The worst part is I really can't afford to take any time off because I have a marathon in October and I am now behind on my training because I had to take it easy for a couple weeks. I had all these plans for my time at Disney and as of right now I am just hoping to be able to walk while I am there.

I don't have experience with plantar fasciitis but I have been working through tendinitis in my right Achilles' tendon. I backed off my milage and followed a exercise plan that was painful at first but noticed quick improvement. I was able to begin picking up milage and pace by getting off the streets and running on trails and our the local high school track. It has been a little over a month and my Achilles is not bothering my runs at all. My doctor set it up and even though I had to back off my training plan for an October Marathon I think I will be able to catch up and on my goal pace.

My doctor was the key to the whole thing. Well, and people on this thread pushing me to take the injury seriously. Be careful with the injuries!

Interesting. I didn't know they sold off the fixtures after the races.

Welcome to the discussion! I did my first marathon at Disney this past year, and this coming year I'm doing Goofy. Disney is a wonderful race to do your first marathon - so much to see, so much going on, terrific spectator and cast member support, and the other runners are very friendly. I had an absolute blast. I wouldn't worry too much about the long training runs. A half-marathon race is more taxing than a 20 mile training run - at least that is my experience. Good luck!

Yeah, I didn't know about them selling the signage, either, until I saw someone walking back to his car with one! So I'm not even certain it was a *purchase* - could be they give them away.

Hahahahaha, what am I thinking?! Of COURSE they *sell* them! ;)

Yeah, I didn't know about them selling the signage, either, until I saw someone walking back to his car with one! So I'm not even certain it was a *purchase* - could be they give them away.

Hahahahaha, what am I thinking?! Of COURSE they *sell* them! ;)

Or they could have "liberated" it. I had a few friends "liberate" a life sized Sam Adams cutout from a local event just last weekend.

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope your run wasn't too painful today!

Welcome SplashRider! You have picked a great race to go the marathon distance. Good luck with your training plan and have a great race.

Thanks!

Welcome to the discussion! I did my first marathon at Disney this past year, and this coming year I'm doing Goofy. Disney is a wonderful race to do your first marathon - so much to see, so much going on, terrific spectator and cast member support, and the other runners are very friendly. I had an absolute blast. I wouldn't worry too much about the long training runs. A half-marathon race is more taxing than a 20 mile training run - at least that is my experience. Good luck!

Thanks, that's encouraging about the 20 mile training runs being less taxing than a half marathon. I think a lot of my nerves are a result of the unknown, but I've run a half before, so it helps to have some to relate it to that I know I can handle.

I don't have experience with plantar fasciitis but I have been working through tendinitis in my right Achilles' tendon. I backed off my milage and followed a exercise plan that was painful at first but noticed quick improvement. I was able to begin picking up milage and pace by getting off the streets and running on trails and our the local high school track. It has been a little over a month and my Achilles is not bothering my runs at all. My doctor set it up and even though I had to back off my training plan for an October Marathon I think I will be able to catch up and on my goal pace.

My doctor was the key to the whole thing. Well, and people on this thread pushing me to take the injury seriously. Be careful with the injuries!

I remember you asking about the injury a couple months ago. (Could it really be that long ago already). I am glad it has gotten better for you. My situation is a bit interesting. My Achilles tendonitis gets worse if I take a couple days off. The more I run the better it gets. Of course, plantar fasciitis is the opposite. That one gets worse the more I run. I have been to the doctor for both and in both cases I am told I can't do any damage by running more. So, I will keep running. I am backing off my goal of qualifying for Boston this October, I am just running for the fun of it right now. When I thought I might not be able to run for a few weeks I was bummed out. So I will take what I can get. Now I just ice everything down after every run and do my stretches. I will do some more mileage on my bike too when things hurt really bad.

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope your run wasn't too painful today!

Thanks, that's encouraging about the 20 mile training runs being less taxing than a half marathon. I think a lot of my nerves are a result of the unknown, but I've run a half before, so it helps to have some to relate it to that I know I can handle.

My run was brutal. One of the worst I have had. Every step hurt. But, I did it and I have 8 miles of hills scheduled for tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. You don't need encouragement, you know you can do this race or you wouldn't have signed up. It's OK to be scared of the unknown but you will be fine. I am trying to put a picture on here for you but it won't upload. I'll keep trying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter