Marathon Weekend 2017!

RACE - Dopey
NAME - Keels
DIS'er name - Keels
Costume/Clothing - Dalmatian/It's a Surprise!/Minnie/VIP Plaid
Corral - H
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Late Arriver (also, I have Race Retreat)
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - Middle
Expected Pace - N/A (only going for time in the 10K)

Last edited:
Between the map and the launguage Curiouser&curiouser! found, I think it's gone. And I think @Barca33Runner is 100% correct as to why.

People are gonna be pissed!

It looks like maybe the route is slightly different for the full though, so do you think they are running people through it on the full and not the half? I did find the half course to be sooooo much more crowded going through MK than the marathon was.

And, yes, people will be pissed, but it truly is insanely crowded going through there.

Others have noted that the route does not head through the Castle on the map. I have no knowledge of whether running through the Castle has been cut, but this is starting to look intentional. I'm guessing they may have realized that the bottleneck is just too much for that many people in such a short time frame. It won't remove anything from the race for me, I've always thought it was a huge hazard, but I can see how it would be disappointing for others.
Yep.
I've usually been in the earlier corrals, so I haven't experienced the bottlenecks, but I've heard stories and seen pics. That is always a huge priority for me in Disney races--get through the castle before it gets too crowded! THEN I can relax a bit, slow down, and wait in the longer photo lines.
I actually think it's a good thing, in terms of safety, to not have runners going through the castle.

Thanks DopeyBadger

RACE - Half Marathon
NAME - Ryan
DIS'er name - Iamtrike
Costume/Clothing - Panchito (6'2 guy in a fuscia jacket and Sombrero so I should blend in )
Corral - C
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Probably Early
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - Usually in the front half
Expected Pace - 9mm

RACE -
Marathon
NAME - Ryan
DIS'er name - Iamtrike
Costume/Clothing - Dapper Ran (I'll be turquise, there will be others)
Corral - C
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Probably Early
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - Middleish
Expected Pace - Between 9 and 10.

Yep.
I've usually been in the earlier corrals, so I haven't experienced the bottlenecks, but I've heard stories and seen pics. That is always a huge priority for me in Disney races--get through the castle before it gets too crowded! THEN I can relax a bit, slow down, and wait in the longer photo lines.
I actually think it's a good thing, in terms of safety, to not have runners going through the castle.

I've seen two relatively dangerous looking spills while on the course over the last five years. One was in the Castle and the other was coming down the ramp on the other side. I think it's a good thing they are removing it, there should still be plenty of opportunity for good Castle pictures, but it's still going to seem like a bait and switch to many people so I don't think it will go down well for them.

Yep.

In my first Disney race (2015 Princess), I was in Corral P. The bottleneck was crazy going through the castle; my group and I were slowed and then stopped by the carousel due to the number of people there. It also didn't help that the frozen characters were on the castle that year! Safety wise I think this is great for the last few corrals, but even in the that crowd it was still neat to think "I'm run-walking through the castle". So my thoughts are mixed on this likely change to the castle.

I've seen two relatively dangerous looking spills while on the course over the last five years. One was in the Castle and the other was coming down the ramp on the other side. I think it's a good thing they are removing it, there should still be plenty of opportunity for good Castle pictures, but it's still going to seem like a bait and switch to many people so I don't think it will go down well for them.

And it being an anniversary year too. Yup that might be messy

Because I have nothing better to do (well work but yeah):
Number of people assigned to each corral for the Marathon (Dopey + Goofy + Marathon) =

A - 512
B - 497
C - 1002
D - 996
E - 999
F - 1495
G - 1494
H - 1991
I - 1990
J - 1989
K - 1993
L - 1994
M - 997
N - 1494
O - 1795
P - 1761

Please tell me if I did something wrong, because #MATH. I was just trying to figure out my corral (M) then wondered why it seemed like so fewer people than all the others. So I had to add them all. :crazy2:

RACE - 5k
NAME - Melanie
DIS'er name - MommaoffherRocker
Costume/Clothing - Mickey,red sparkle skirt, black shirt, yellow shoes and ears
Corral -
Early Bird or Late Arriver -
early
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - middle
Expected Pace - 12-13

RACE- 10k
NAME- Melanie
DIS'er NAME- MommaoffherRocker
Costume/Clothing- TBD
Corral-
Early Bird
Middle of Corral
Expected Pace-13-14

RACE- Half
NAME- Melanie w/ DH Mike
DIS'er Name- MommaoffherRocker
Costume/Clothing- TBD
Corral- M
Early Bird
Middle of Corral
Expected Pace-14

RACE- Marathon
NAME- Melanie
DIS'er Name- MommaoffherRocker
Costume/Clothing- Purple Shirt that says "It's kind of fun to do the impossible" and yellow sparkle skirt
Corral- M
Early Bird
Front or Middle of Corral
Expected Pace 14-15

One thing that slightly resembles math:

For the Half Marathon, I was in corral I last year and this year. 2016 PoT requirement for that corral was 3:09. This year it is 2:39! And it seems like there are similar number of HM-only bibs in the corrals, though I don't quite have the data to back that up. Also not sure how the PoT changes for this year affected this.

Yeah there historical runDisney marketing has heavily focused on running through the Castle so I definitely see some people being frustrated by that.
The pathway to sleepy hollow from the back of castle is also not really wide so I still see this being a big choke point.
The There has also always been a big photo op in front of the castle. I don't see a good spot for that picture this year.

RACE - 5k
NAME - Chris
DIS'er name - surfde22
Costume/Clothing - running clothes
Corral - B????
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early Bird
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - Front-ish
Expected Pace - 7:00-8:00

RACE - 10k
NAME - Chris
DIS'er name - surfde22
Corral - B????
Expected Pace - 7:00-8:00

RACE - Half Marathon
NAME - Chris
DIS'er name - surfde22
Corral - F
Expected Pace - 8:00-9:00

RACE - Marathon
NAME - Chris
DIS'er name - surfde22
Costume/Clothing - running clothes with Dopey theme (Purple headband, green shirt, blue short)
Corral - F
Expected Pace - 8:00-9:00

I'm starting in I. This is the most confusing happy moment ever since if I'm reading the chart right I think my PoT should land me in L. I'm not complaining I'm just confused.

What did you put down as POT and what did you choose for expected finish time during registration? I'm wondering whether you chose a slower "expected finish time" than your POT would suggest and thus they slotted you back to what you put down as expected finish time. Just a guess though.

What did you put down as POT and what did you choose for expected finish time during registration? I'm wondering whether you chose a slower "expected finish time" than your POT would suggest and thus they slotted you back to what you put down as expected finish time. Just a guess though.

If you just doubled my 1/2 it would put me about a 5 hr full, but I put down 5:30 and they put me in the 5:30

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter