Marathon Weekend 2017!

Why would you think I would know that?!...

....LOL J/K. Nope, no Dooneys yet. :upsidedow I feel like they almost forgot about them last year since they were delayed, you'd think they'd have their *bleep* together this time...

You're my go-to Dooney girl!! Does rD ever really have it together? I mean, how do you print tons of merch with inaugural misspelled?

When do you guys start tapering and how do you do it exactly?
I'll start tapering next Monday:
Dec. 19-25: yoga, run 4.5, cross-train, run 5, rest, run 10, yoga
Dec. 26- Jan. 1: run 4, Ballet, run 3, yoga, rest, run 6, yoga
Jan. 2-4: rest, run 2, rest

I was wondering if anyone can share any advice about driving to the park on marathon morning, both for runners and spectators. Anyone know what time I should plan to arrive?
I can only speak to driving/parking as a race participant, not as a spectator... I alwyas drive and like to leave my resort within 15 minutes of when the race buses start running. So if buses start at 3am, I'm out the door by 3:15. That usually gets me to the parking lot within 5-15 minutes with little or no traffic and then I have enough time to relax, meet up with my running group, use the porta-potties and do some warm-up exercises.

Today's Sundays are for Disney: What is your favorite running memory or most memorable race?
Most memorable race has to be the Dark Side 5K this year - I alwyas joke about aiming for a "PR in FUN!" at rD races, but I'm not sure this one will ever be beat! Had a blast "running" with a big group of crazy friends, indulged my inner SW geek, and all around had an amazing time.

Sorry if this has been covered but a quick question...

Are there places to warm up before the marathon begins? I heard that the walk to corrals is long. Could I run to the corral or is it just too crowded? I usually do a 1-2 mile warm up with some strides thrown in.
I've seen folks doing striders in the parking lot before moving to corrals - there are places there open enough to manage. The walk to corrals is tough unless you're willing to run in the grass, which I don't recommend. BUT if you head to the corrals before the calls to begin, you should have a lot more room to work with.

Anyone know if we can run the 2016 Marathon course given the construction at Studios?
Nope - half of that section is now gone!

Sorry if this has been covered but a quick question...

Are there places to warm up before the marathon begins? I heard that the walk to corrals is long. Could I run to the corral or is it just too crowded? I usually do a 1-2 mile warm up with some strides thrown in.

There is an area to warm up on the opposite side of the road from corral A/B

No, the backlot and streets of America are completely gone.

That's what I thought. I think runDisney may have gotten wide to people pulling the course certifications from USATF. It looks like the dark side course this year was certified in October but wasn't made effective till the day before the race weekend started.

I haven't received any emails from RunDisney regarding marathon weekend. I checked the active website and my half marathon and race retreat is showing up under my name. Is it normal to not get any information by now? It's my first Disney race and I have no idea what to expect or what to do - at least from Disney! You guys have provided me with lots of great information! Thanks!

I haven't received any emails from RunDisney regarding marathon weekend. I checked the active website and my half marathon and race retreat is showing up under my name. Is it normal to not get any information by now? It's my first Disney race and I have no idea what to expect or what to do - at least from Disney! You guys have provided me with lots of great information! Thanks!
YES! There is more info here in this thread...seriously. :rolleyes2

Yes, same here!! I am very Type A and was starting to panic a little, lol!

I can only speak to driving/parking as a race participant, not as a spectator... I alwyas drive and like to leave my resort within 15 minutes of when the race buses start running. So if buses start at 3am, I'm out the door by 3:15. That usually gets me to the parking lot within 5-15 minutes with little or no traffic and then I have enough time to relax, meet up with my running group, use the porta-potties and do some warm-up...

Okay, thanks! So planning to arrive by 3:30ish should do it? I'll be driving over from Winter Park (north east Orlando) so it's a bit of a hike. Good thing I'm used to getting up in the middle of the night with my baby!!

Last edited:
Okay, thanks! So planning to arrive by 3:30ish should do it? I'll be driving over from Winter Park (north east Orlando) so it's a bit of a hike. Good thing I'm used to getting up in the middle of the night with my baby!!
Yep! :thumbsup2 You can probably even leave a little later - plenty of folks do. But you do run the risk of getting tied up in parking lot traffic.

Why would you think I would know that?!...

....LOL J/K. Nope, no Dooneys yet. :upsidedow I feel like they almost forgot about them last year since they were delayed, you'd think they'd have their *bleep* together this time...

I've been obsessively checking too! Seems late to release them. But I forgot about the delay last year. Come on rD!!! We want bags, lol!

I've been obsessively checking too! Seems late to release them. But I forgot about the delay last year. Come on rD!!! We want bags, lol!
I think Princess is the biggest-selling weekend for the race dooneys, so I expect them to be on top of it then. For January it seems like they order more than they sell and the extras end up at the outlets! :confused3

So disappointed not to see waiver news today. Boo. :( Currently very concerned about falling, given all the ice and snow. Have low heels for holiday parties, but it's still risky for the next 19 days! Purposefully arriving at WDW on NYE so that I can wear my tennies to DHS for Jingle Bam instead of tackling snow and ice in heels and dress.

Was initially planning value stay for the first four nights before transfer to BWI, but our little one needs resort downtime and I was seriously reconsidering four nights value under those circumstances. So now it's value for just two nights, then AKL for two, then BWI for five. That cheered me up while waiting for waivers. Yay!!!

So disappointed not to see waiver news today. Boo. :(

You said it. This time last year looking at the event guide and goody bag were all that got me through a boring night at work. Oh well. Tonight I am off to an easy holiday lights 3 miler, and I am already warning everyone, I will be taking it super slow and easy tonight. heh heh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter