Marathon Weekend 2017!

I am a long time lurker of this thread but have not posted until now. My husband and I were supposed to leave tomorrow to run Goofy but I received news a short while ago that my dad passed away. I thought while I was on hold trying to cancel flights and resorts someone here might know the best email or phone number to use to see if anything can be done with our race registration.
Thanks
Kristan

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. Here we are with our biggest worries of the weather and travel being delayed. It all seems silly now. :(

@kris24 So sorry for your loss.

Finished at expo. So glad for early access I was finished just as they were letting everyone else in.

Waiting currently for other set of groceries to be brought up by bell services and then off to Magic Kingdom.

For all my fellow weather worriers we now have possible thunderstorms to worry about on Saturday.

Well I won't be there until after 2 so I'm hoping the afternoon dies down the crowds a bit and not too much merch is gone. I'm interested in a dopey magnet, pins and a jacket. It's not the end of the world if any of those items are sold out.

Agree with @Keels that your best bet is to get to the corrals first thing (walk to corrals should start around 4-4:15am) and warm-up inside corral A without crossing the start line. There is some room in there but it would end up being several circles. And the earlier you get there the less people there will be. If I were to take a guess based on past years (I've been in C) I'd say it's about 20-40m long at best. But @Pleglech has started in marathon corral A before so he might be able to give you the most accurate description of space and possibility of warming-up beyond the start line.

Just saw this, sorry.
There's really no room to warm up in corral A. There is a designated space to warm up on the opposite side of the road. That will be to your left if you're facing the start. And it really isn't that hard to squeeze to the front of the corral after warming up (my experience has been that the MIDDLE of the corral is most crowded, but people are really hesitant to move up to the line).
If you have an elite bib, I think you can warm up outside the corral to the right (I think using the ramp from DVC way), but no guarantees there.

Expo is a complete madhouse - these new hours are compressing the time available for the general public to pick up their stuff prior to the 5K - complete mistake by Rundisney all to squeeze out a couple extra bucks

Last edited:
I am a long time lurker of this thread but have not posted until now. My husband and I were supposed to leave tomorrow to run Goofy but I received news a short while ago that my dad passed away. I thought while I was on hold trying to cancel flights and resorts someone here might know the best email or phone number to use to see if anything can be done with our race registration.
Thanks
Kristan

Very sorry for your loss. Definitely makes my travel troubles seem trivial.

Thanks
Kristan

I am so sorry for the loss in your family.

This is nuts. I am actually thinking about leaving and coming back later!

Did get some shoes though :teeth:

I think I'm glad we aren't going to be there until tomorrow if it's that crazy. YAY on new shoes.

That Dooney is cute, but not really runDisney themed right?

This is nuts. I am actually thinking about leaving and coming back later!

Did get some shoes though :teeth:

I did leave, with not feeling the best and the line that long to get in the expo... No thanks.. Nothing worth that much to me

I think I'm glad we aren't going to be there until tomorrow if it's that crazy. YAY on new shoes.

I would disagree the characters have medals around their necks and some of them are running.

This is my 4th marathon weekend and I've never seen it like this. Maybe I've just come at the right times in the past...

My exact reaction when I saw the Dooney: "meh." :confused3
New Balance? Which ones?
Yes! Was originally just going to get Haunted Mansion but grabbed the Space Mointain ones too. :angel:
I did leave, with not feeling the best and the line that long to get in the expo... No thanks.. Nothing worth that much to me
Yeah, I am quickly letting go of the idea of getting any merch. I'm in the freaking bib line!!

Thanks for all the Expo reports. I just got in and am eating lunch at POFQ. No need to rush over there. I'll take my time and let the initial rush die down.

Just read that they're letting non-race retreat people into the expo at 11 - not noon as published. This is second-hand from Facebook so take it with a grain of salt...may the odds be ever in your favor. :eek:

Really loved race retreat early access!! Mateojr and I were finished shortly after 11am. Only purchase was a runDisney Mickey plush, but entirely worth the race retreat cost under our circumstances.

Mateojr says "I love the Mickey plush and the race expo was fun!"

Expo is a complete madhouse - these new hours are compressing the time available for the general public to pick up their stuff prior to the 5K - complete mistake by Rundisney all to squeeze out a couple extra bucks

They let non-Race Retreat people in around 11:30 for Official Merch - I know this because I snuck back in right before our "access expired" at 11:15 and had time to get a beer and watch the masses flood towards the Official Merch tent.

I feel like my $$$ spent on VIP Race Retreat was WELL worth it.

And the pre-purchase jacket is perfect!

It's on!!!! Well, at least the expo is almost on.View attachment 213314 View attachment 213315

That's not great but I remember standing in that line at about that point during at least one other marathon weekend, so I don't know that it's unprecedented.

I like some of the marathon shorts I've seen but I won't be upset if I don't get anything.

View attachment 213316
It looks very COLD on marathon morning! Especially with the wind chill!

Yup. I am looking for cheap warm gloves at walmart so I have some to chuck during the race.

They let non-Race Retreat people in around 11:30 for Official Merch - I know this because I snuck back in right before our "access expired" at 11:15 and had time to get a beer and watch the masses flood towards the Official Merch tent.

I feel like my $$$ spent on VIP Race Retreat was WELL worth it.

And the pre-purchase jacket is perfect!

Are you able to post a pic of the jacket? I ordered one for Tink so I like to stalk what the other races are offering. No worries though (off to stalk Instagram too)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter