Marathon Weekend 2017!

Well the weekend is over and I'm back home now. I'll write a full TR in my journal, but needless to say it was a good weekend for me. It was my goal to PR all 4 runs and the two challenges. However, because of the cancelled HM it kind of put that goal on a break for another year. However, I was still able to walk away with 3 official PRs on the weekend.

5k - 21:02
10k - 43:25 (104th overall, 16th division)
M - 3:20:52 (197th overall, 40th division)

Also, per @opusone's Dopey rankings, it looks like I got my other goal of a top 50 Dopey finish coming in 43rd overall, 39th male, and 8th in my division.

Congrats to everyone on a great weekend!

Well the weekend is over and I'm back home now. I'll write a full TR in my journal, but needless to say it was a good weekend for me. It was my goal to PR all 4 runs and the two challenges. However, because of the cancelled HM it kind of put that goal on a break for another year. However, I was still able to walk away with 3 official PRs on the weekend.

5k - 21:02
10k - 43:25 (104th overall, 16th division)
M - 3:20:52 (197th overall, 40th division)

Also, per @opusone's Dopey rankings, it looks like I got my other goal of a top 50 Dopey finish coming in 43rd overall, 39th male, and 8th in my division.

Congrats to everyone on a great weekend!

Wow that's pretty incredible. Congratulations! Top 50 Dopey is pretty impressive. Did you run a half on your own on Saturday? I'm curious if you think you would have PR'd the full as much if you PR'd a half the day before.
I saw you guys in Animal kingdom by the buses!! I loved the costumes
I definitely saw teal Dapper Dan at some point before the race. Awesome costumes @IamTrike!!
Thanks it was a lot of fun. Now we just need to start thinking about next years costumes.

I should also add that my mom finished her first marathon in 5:34:03 at age 60. She was supremely disappointed in the cold as it really made the run tough for her. But she was very happy to finish her first marathon and is already starting to look at the future.

My daughter also PR'd her 100m dash with a time of 57.6 seconds!

Wow that's pretty incredible. Congratulations! Top 50 Dopey is pretty impressive. Did you run a half on your own on Saturday? I'm curious if you think you would have PR'd the full as much if you PR'd a half the day before.

Thanks! I chose not to run a HM on Saturday because I viewed the races as the victory lap for the training. Also, it would have been tough to carve out that much time out of the vacation schedule since I wouldn't have started to run it until it was safe outside.

Honestly, with how the full turned out and only PR'ing by ~3 minutes I don't think I would have PR'd the full after PR'ing the half on Saturday (in theory). Although, I did unofficially PR the half marathon per Garmin during the full with a time of 1:36:27.

Unless there was another group of Daper Dan's that crossed the finish line I definitely saw you finish. But never put two and two together.

I still can't believe I didn't get the chance to run my first HM! But we made the best of the weekend anyway and had a great time! Definitely going to be picking a future runDisney HM to run. I have to earn that medal!

Thanks to everyone here for all the support during the training and gearing up for the 'Race that never was", as I like to call it!!

I wanted to say thank you all for being a great community - I didn't actually get to meet anyone, but it has been nice to have you all around on here :)

While I didn't get to run my half on Saturday, it was still one of the more memorable races I've had, such a good running community runDisney has :) I was definitely inspired! And I had a great trip otherwise. (I logged ~62 miles in the last 5 days between walking the parks and my unofficial half marathon)

I likely won't check the boards very often after this, but I am aiming to get back and run the 10K in 2019 just to experience a runDisney race without having to train too much (so much for a one time thing, starting to save now :)) So until then stay your awesome selves and I hope to find many of you still here when I make it back!

R

Also - got myself a sketch to commemorate this fateful trip :)
IMG_20170110_1217380.jpg

Last edited:
We're back home, and this was an amazing weekend for so many reasons. My report:

Expo: I purchased race retreat, so the early expo access was wonderful. Easy, quick and entirely uncrowded. Very worth the cost for me and particularly for @mateojr. Easily exchanged my raw threads shirt, purchased a runDisney plush mickey for mateojr and picked up bibs and shirts with no waits. I love the marathon shirt in particular, and I'm super happy about the color, design and fit. Wish one of the shirts in the bunch was red, but the designs and fit are all great.

5K: Ran with our youngest, @mateojr, who was sick literally hours before the race but woke up at 3:30am on Thursday ready to run. Great to meet @DopeyBadger from across the corral barriers and mateojr really loved his encouraging words before the start of the race! Great first mile with mateojr, but as I mentioned earlier, it fell apart from there. On two separate occasions, I actually picked him up and carried him while running - an aspect of the Dopey Challenge I did not expect! :) He finished the 5K 18 minutes slower than his 27 minute 5K PR and was really disappointed, crossing the finish line exclaiming "worst time ever!" But I told him all we needed to do that morning was cross the finish line and we did! He spent the remainder of the day resting (but we were able to "make up" his scheduled MK day with the rest of the family yesterday, so all is well!)

10K: I just loved this race. I promised my husband I would not attempt a PR or anything close to it. So I took it easy, love the part through world showcase, and didn't even look at the clock when I crossed the finish line. Later, I found out that I finished way over my PR, but still under an hour, so it went as planned. Highlight was when I saw my husband on the boardwalk and he yelled, "Too slow!" I said, "I'm taking it easy, just like I promised!" Turns out, he was actually talking about the camera on his phone - it wasn't fast enough and he didn't get a photo! Ha!

Half: After they cancelled, I pretty quickly decided I was going to run 13.1 anyway. Initial plan was to run around Crescent Lake, but I saw lightning when I was ready to start 5:30am, so I decided to retreat to the BWI fitness center treadmills. Waited 45 minutes for a treadmill and completed my 13.1. While I'm disappointed about the cancellation, I understand it and I feel great about completing the mileage. I also feel great about the positive attitude and enthusiasm all around following the announcement - whether runners decided to save it for the marathon, complete the 13.1 or just be happy and sleep like our 17-year-old - it was really inspiring to see so much positive energy.

Full: Wow. I think this was my favorite race ever. I was really happy with all the silly layers I chose - I guess there are some advantages to ending up living in a cold climate! I looked ridiculous in all my layers. I stuck to my "no time goal" pledge. For the second time ever (10K was the first) I didn't look at the clock when I crossed the finish line. (Turns out it was a PR at 4:26, which I'm super happy about in my mid-40s after kids!) I was comfortable and happy for every single mile. I felt great physically and mentally. It was my longest stretch of running zen ever. There was no point at which I wished that it was over. I loved the Big Bad Wolf - the rap music playing in the background was hilarious. Course support was incredible as always. Volunteers were truly amazing. I love the girl handing out swedish fish around mile 15 or 16. I actually like out and back portions of the course because it's fun to see so many runners passing by. Immediately after the marathon, my husband asked me to identify the best and worst parts of the race and I could not think of a worst other than, "probably wind." And now, I'll add "my race photos" to that - terrible, but whatever!

Pre and post marathon: Transportation went smoothly. I was SO happy about my decision to purchase race retreat, even though I didn't eat much of the food offered. Just loved the warm, the pre-race stretching area, the bag check and the short bathroom lines. After the marathon, I felt great. I went back to BWI to shower and then spent the day with my family in Epcot to celebrate mateojr's birthday!!! Didn't need a nap, stomach felt great (lunch at Cantina and birthday dinner at Via) legs felt fine and went to sleep around 10:30pm after the celebrations. Monday morning, we made up mateojr's missed MK time with the whole family before our 1:30pm Magical Express bus. Our older boys have busy high school schedules and are heading off to college in 2018 and 2019, so it was particularly special to have everyone together at MK for a bit.

As I mentioned earlier, Dopey demands a lot of my family and particularly my husband so I'm not likely to repeat for a while. I'm so grateful for this experience, for the amazing support of my family and for the wonderful camaraderie on these boards. I enjoyed the marathon so much that I've changed my mind about going back to half marathons only. I think I'm ready to sign up for the Lakefront marathon this fall and I'm planning to run Surf City in 2018 as a full instead of a half. Meanwhile, I'll keep running all the half marathons I love - First Call half marathon is just a few months away! Looking forward to seeing @DopeyBadger, @rteetz (woo hoo new marathoner!) @roxymama and more of our local friends at local races! :)

Last edited:

So this was definitely an interesting race weekend. We dressed up as the dapper dans for the marathon. It was a fun costume to run in, but I really wish we could sing. We wound up stopping for 26 different official disney pictures. The only ones we missed were ones where the characters weren't there.

View attachment 214300 View attachment 214301

Ok, these. Are. Amazing.

Great pics, @IamTrike! Here are two of my favorites. We had those smiles on our faces all day long.

View attachment 214304
View attachment 214305

I forgot about that bar! Curses. I was so focused on everest!

This is what my calculator comes up with for a 2:26 HM recent race (although May is quite some time ago and your fitness definitely could have improved since then).

View attachment 208320

If 100% of your training has been between 11:50-12:45 then you are likely working on a lot of endurance building. This is good as the marathon is a 99% endurance event. I wouldn't suggest changing anything because 1) we're close to race day and 2) because the paces you have been training at have been appropriate for your fitness level. I typically find that 80% of my training is at "Long Run" or slower. This is the endurance zone.

My one caution is on your goal time. The calculator says 5:04 under ideal conditions and when fully trained. Dependent on WDW marathon weekend, there is no guarantee for ideal conditions. And dependent on your training, hitting that "quoted" time is tough. My suggestion is to ease into race day's pace. If your goal time is an 11:26 min/mile, and your relative current fitness says 11:37, then a 2% negative split would suggest a starting pace of around 11:50-12:00 for the first few miles. This will allow you to run longer at your desired pace. Once you get far enough into the run, say around mile 14-18 then consider starting to pick up the pace if your body will allow you. Because of the way our body works physiologically, it is best to either even split or negative split. Starting too fast has disastrous effects. So if your body isn't prepared for an 11:26 min/mile pace, then starting at that for the marathon may lead to 14:00-15:00 min/miles on the back end. Whereas, if you start at 11:50-12:00 and find you can speed up then you may indeed finish faster than if you started at 11:26. The "crux" pace can be razor thin for a marathon and it isn't always easy to predict what that pace is. It's dependent on two main variables: Lactate Threshold Pace and Running Economy (the ability to maintain Lactate Threshold at a certain pace for longer durations).
Thanks so much for all of the info in this thread. It was my most valuable resource as I prepared for my first-ever marathon. I am so happy to say that I achieved my goal of running it in under 5 hours. Special thanks to DopeyBadger for the analysis quoted above. It was so valuable, as I nailed the negative splits just as he suggested.

They sure were very happy we stopped by. I don't think they had too many patrons before us. I hope they had enough to have them open it again next year. :)

So my plan going into this race was to be the first person on the course to buy a beer. That meant A LOT of walking during the first half to arrive at that bar just before 9 a.m. ... only to find out they already had been open for an hour and a half. This could affect pacing next year.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but did anyone else's race shirts smell like vomit?

Thanks so much for all of the info in this thread. It was my most valuable resource as I prepared for my first-ever marathon. I am so happy to say that I achieved my goal of running it in under 5 hours. Special thanks to DopeyBadger for the analysis quoted above. It was so valuable, as I nailed the negative splits just as he suggested.

Wow, that's awesome!! Congratulations!! I wish I'd seen/read that, because I was in almost the exact same place training-wise and also was loosely hoping to go under 5 hours. Apparently my plan of running with or ahead of the 5 hour pacing group for as long as possible wasn't the way to go, lol! Oh well, still happy with my time--next time I'll get it!

So my plan going into this race was to be the first person on the course to buy a beer. That meant A LOT of walking during the first half to arrive at that bar just before 9 a.m. ... only to find out they already had been open for an hour and a half. This could affect pacing next year.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but did anyone else's race shirts smell like vomit?

not vomit but it did smell terrible!!! I had no idea why but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the shirts smelled really off

I am debating doing a Trip Report but I haven't committed to it yet. Most likely at the latest, I will make a decision on it after I find out just what my course load for the next semester is going to be next week.

Congratulations to everyone who finished the marathon! It was my first and I am hoping to be able to run the Dopey next year. Thank you all for the great information provided here!! Does anyone have any idea how many runners started the marathon vs the 17,729 who finished it? I was just curious.

So this was definitely an interesting race weekend. We dressed up as the dapper dans for the marathon. It was a fun costume to run in, but I really wish we could sing. We wound up stopping for 26 different official disney pictures. The only ones we missed were ones where the characters weren't there.

View attachment 214300 View attachment 214301

I saw you guys run through EPCOT! Congratulations!

Does anyone have any idea how many runners started the marathon vs the 17,729 who finished it? I was just curious.

It appears that there were 758 folks that were swept on the marathon; however, 239 were half marathon bibs, so not all of them may have been trying to finish. That leaves 519 marathoners (marathon, goofy, or dopey) that were swept. Please note that there may have been others that started and didn't finish; these are just the ones that were officially swept by rD.

In regards to shirts, I saw someone had listed a half marathon short on eBay with a buy it now price of $299. Guess they think they have a collectors item.
I threw mine out .... just doesn't feel right. And the only reason Disney gave out the 1/2 medals is because they were dated ..... what else could they have done with them?
I have enough running shirts. DW, DSiL and DBiL (all Dopey-ers) are planning to do the Super Heroes challenge in November and I'll keep that 1/2 shirt just as I kept the 1/2 shirt from the 2016 W&D.

DW (whose bucket list is to qualify for the Boston) and I plan to register for the 2019 Dopey. Is it too early to plan for it?:chat:

At first I was shocked by this, but then DH brought up a good point-how many STARTED? I mean, there were about 25,000 registered, but how many people woke up Sunday morning, looked at the temperature, and decided that it wasn't for them. Maybe they decided that the "resort run", like so many did Saturday, was better-once the sun came up.
Maybe...but for me, after everything I did to get ready for this weekend, all of the training all year, and the money I spent on the trip, the weather wasn't going to keep me away as long as Disney said it was safe to run. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter