• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

OT question. I'm a low-carb runner (unicorn I know). Now that I'm deep into my Dopey training, I'm playing around with my in-run fueling. I feel pretty good about my pre-run nutrition (although I just recently dropped my pre-run supplement last week after sharing it on this very thread due to some concerning potential side effects). I currently in-run fuel with Clif Shot Blocks. Even before I was a low-carb runner, I used them and they always seemed to work well for me. Since they're pretty high in carbs (all in-run fueling I've found seems to be), I'm looking for a lower-carb alternative. I use net carbs so anything that is going to be sugar free or low sugar is a good option for me, but I'm pretty sure that negates what benefits other than calories you get from any gel or block. Any suggestions are welcome. I've heard Hammer Gels are lower in sugar or possibly sugar free which helps avoid that dreaded sugar crash many blocks and gels have.

We eat generally low-carb as well although of late for in-run fueling, I don't worry about it as much. Truthfully since converting, I eat very little in-run and mostly rely on drinking a good amount of electrolytes with limited other fuel. That said, since I don't eat much any more while running, I just went back to basic fuels for simplicity sake. I had a hard time finding true low-carb commercially available fuels that I liked. We did try Quest bars for a time because they have a relatively low net carb count, but I didn't like them at all.

We eat generally low-carb as well although of late for in-run fueling, I don't worry about it as much. Truthfully since converting, I eat very little in-run and mostly rely on drinking a good amount of electrolytes with limited other fuel. That said, since I don't eat much any more while running, I just went back to basic fuels for simplicity sake. I had a hard time finding true low-carb commercially available fuels that I liked. We did try Quest bars for a time because they have a relatively low net carb count, but I didn't like them at all.

I tried the same thing, since I burn it off right away anyway but I can't eat wheat and that limits a lot of things. What electrolytes are you using?

There's a few QUEST bars I like so that's not a bad idea. Only problem with most "low-carb" bars is they're usually high in fiber which is not great for GI. The sugar alcohols most bars have don't bother me as much as the fiber. Think Thin makes a great gluten free, low carb lemon bar FWIW

I tried the same thing, since I burn it off right away anyway but I can't eat wheat and that limits a lot of things. What electrolytes are you using?

I know the question was directed at someone else, but I use my own half/half blend of water and PowerAde Zero for mine. I'll be wearing a camelback Dopey weekend just so I can use my own stuff since I know what's provided at the race will not be the Zero version.

OT question. I'm a low-carb runner (unicorn I know). Now that I'm deep into my Dopey training, I'm playing around with my in-run fueling. I feel pretty good about my pre-run nutrition (although I just recently dropped my pre-run supplement last week after sharing it on this very thread due to some concerning potential side effects). I currently in-run fuel with Clif Shot Blocks. Even before I was a low-carb runner, I used them and they always seemed to work well for me. Since they're pretty high in carbs (all in-run fueling I've found seems to be), I'm looking for a lower-carb alternative. I use net carbs so anything that is going to be sugar free or low sugar is a good option for me, but I'm pretty sure that negates what benefits other than calories you get from any gel or block. Any suggestions are welcome. I've heard Hammer Gels are lower in sugar or possibly sugar free which helps avoid that dreaded sugar crash many blocks and gels have.

Another low carber here. Unfortunately, I don't have fueling figured out to offer any advice. It's my biggest concern heading into January so I'm eager to read the other replies. Have you looked into any whole foods? I've heard nut butters suggested before.

We use a product called Replay. Far less sugar in it than things like Powerade or Gatorade. It takes some getting used to for the taste. It's saltier tasting than typical electrolyte drinks. It doesn't taste good to me just to drink, but when I'm running and I'm needing hydration and electrolytes, it tastes much better.

Another low carber here. Unfortunately, I don't have fueling figured out to offer any advice. It's my biggest concern heading into January so I'm eager to read the other replies. Have you looked into any whole foods? I've heard nut butters suggested before.

Unfortunately no WF in my town. This is my first full on low-carb and sadly I hadn’t really thought about it until last weekend’s 16 miler that the clif bloks id always used were pretty high carb. I won’t use so many that it’s going to derail my low carb diet; however if there are low carb alternatives out there, now is the time in training to test some out.

I was hardcore Keto for a few months last year while dropping weight (25 pound sin 2 months!) During that time I fueled before and during with peanut butter. You can buy the individual packs for $1-$1.50. Not cheap but about the same as a regular gel packet of any variety.

Unfortunately no WF in my town. This is my first full on low-carb and sadly I hadn’t really thought about it until last weekend’s 16 miler that the clif bloks id always used were pretty high carb. I won’t use so many that it’s going to derail my low carb diet; however if there are low carb alternatives out there, now is the time in training to test some out.
I didn't mean whole foods the store, I meant unprocessed whole foods like nuts.

Why run if you can't eat (or drink) what you want? :cake::drinking1

I know that comment was tongue-in-cheek somewhat, but honestly I made the change last year because my metabolism decided to completely stop on me. I had cut calories back to the bare minimum (without going into self-preservation mode) and was running serious miles and still packing on the pounds. I feel better than I've ever felt in my life, but I still allow myself 1'ish cheat meal per month and anytime I'm in Orlando, I don't even try to stay keto. Giordano's is my kryptonite. lol.

I didn't mean whole foods the store, I meant unprocessed whole foods like nuts.

Oh ok! Gotcha. I haven't tried fueling with nuts because of the fiber content, but I actually do global sales for a pecan processor so nuts are a major part of my diet.

Why in the world would I ever want to give up pizza?!

Giving up pizza was the worst part about having to give up gluten! Gluten free pizza is yuck too! I have found that the 00 flour that is from Italy doesn't make me sick and I just discovered that Via Napoli uses that in their pizza so I might try to get a reservation there. I am just afraid of the consequences during Dopey if it doesn't work for me. :(

Giving up pizza was the worst part about having to give up gluten! Gluten free pizza is yuck too! I have found that the 00 flour that is from Italy doesn't make me sick and I just discovered that Via Napoli uses that in their pizza so I might try to get a reservation there. I am just afraid of the consequences during Dopey if it doesn't work for me. :(

I have so much respect for people that have to or choose to give up gluten, I just do not know if I could do it with the way that I eat. Although, my cousin has a gluten allergy and cooked pasta for us a few weeks ago and I think it was better than any other pasta I have ever had! Pizza is my weakness/addiction though! I love Via Napoli, it is my go-to for dinner the night before Disney runs.

This is exactly what I tell my coach when she says my giving up pizza and beer would make me faster. :)

Agree with this. I know I could run faster and lose the weight if I gave up the beer and wine. I'm just not willing to do that.

100% with you guys on the concept (just not on the beer part). There's no question in my mind that I could boost my performance if I cleaned up the way I eat and drink. Running is an enjoyable, stress relieving activity for me, though. It doesn't matter how many pizzas I don't eat, I'm not going to be an elite, competitive runner. So it comes down to a balance between performance that I'm happy with on the course and eating the foods that I enjoy. Run to live, not live to run.

I know that comment was tongue-in-cheek somewhat, but honestly I made the change last year because my metabolism decided to completely stop on me. I had cut calories back to the bare minimum (without going into self-preservation mode) and was running serious miles and still packing on the pounds. I feel better than I've ever felt in my life, but I still allow myself 1'ish cheat meal per month and anytime I'm in Orlando, I don't even try to stay keto. Giordano's is my kryptonite. lol.
I get it. My advice to friends who struggle like this sounds counter-intuitive, but consider it: Eat more, not less. If you do not eat enough, you kill your metabolism. I come from a family of obese people, and I could easily become so. I fight it by eating right and exercising. But I eat a lot when running a lot. I measure calories in and calories out (burned) every day. Even when trying to lose weight, I never allow myself a caloric deficit of more that 500 per day, and generally try to keep it to 300. I have only struggled losing weight when I tried to really restrict my caloric intake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter