• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

100% with you guys on the concept (just not on the beer part). There's no question in my mind that I could boost my performance if I cleaned up the way I eat and drink. Running is an enjoyable, stress relieving activity for me, though. It doesn't matter how many pizzas I don't eat, I'm not going to be an elite, competitive runner. So it comes down to a balance between performance that I'm happy with on the course and eating the foods that I enjoy. Run to live, not live to run.
Well said!

Yeah, I am not running to lose weight and I do not have a calorie deficit for sure! I eat a TON, I just can't eat wheat and I choose not to eat sugar. I have lost all my weight (40 lbs) eating like that. I did not try to lose weight to be a better runner, but because I was overweight and unhealthy (and my clothes didn't fit!) I will never be an elite, competitive runner either. :)

I have so much respect for people that have to or choose to give up gluten, I just do not know if I could do it with the way that I eat. Although, my cousin has a gluten allergy and cooked pasta for us a few weeks ago and I think it was better than any other pasta I have ever had! Pizza is my weakness/addiction though! I love Via Napoli, it is my go-to for dinner the night before Disney runs.

Do you know what kind of pasta it was? I cannot find a gluten free pasta that isn't gross, lol!

I started running almost 7 years ago and lost 80 pounds doing it. I consider myself moderately fast for my age, but I'm far from elite. I run for my health. I just happen to be super competitive so if I can continue PR'ing into my late 30's (now 39) or even 40's, that's my motivation. I chose the keto eating simply to shake things up as I started putting back on the weight regardless of my fitness and calories. It worked and I'm thankful for that.

As for the beer and wine comments, I've got 6 kids so I do partake of adult beverages every now and again to maintain sanity :-); however I've had to find things that fit that low-carb lifestyle. Fortunately for me, I was never a big beer drinker so it's easier to find alcoholic beverages that fit that and still taste good. It does sometimes mean going more top-shelf on the liquor for a smooth taste, but as little as I drink, it's ok.

in regards to the gluten discussions. I had bad reflux and was even put on medication 2 years ago. Once I went low-carb, I stopped taking the reflux meds and have no problems with it anymore. Someone told me I could have a gluten allergy rather than a reflux problem. Just thought it was interesting.

I guess technically it was Alfredo, and I am not sure what she used...but I will ask her and get back to you!

Thank you! :)

I tried to reduce gluten for a while and I found this pasta at Target

https://www.target.com/p/gluten-fre...-simply-balanced-153/-/A-50380649#lnk=sametab

I think it's good and it's actually the pasta I always use at home. YMMV though.

Thank you! I am going to visit my DD27 next week and I will pick some up at Target and try it! We don't have a Target here. :(

@Dis5150 Hopefully this works and you can read it! I can email it if needed. I guess it was pesto chicken Parm, I’m not a cook so sorry if it’s not what you were looking for. It’s really good though!

Attachments

• 1B361E98-2017-487F-A598-DA3BE6467763.png
    1B361E98-2017-487F-A598-DA3BE6467763.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 5
So I found a travel agent that still has spaces for the half marathon. Between not being able to get a personal day from work approved for Monday, January 8 and the fact that I'm really not ready for a full marathon (I've decided to make that my Fall 2018 goal), I won't be able to make the Marathon work. But I can hopefully get a personal day for Friday, January 5, so if that works out I could still make the half happen. Fly down Thursday night and back sometime Sunday. The travel agent said they're waiting to hear updated info on room availability, but if I can get one of the value resorts, I may try to do it. We'll see what happens! My only fear is the winter travel aspect.

Agree with this. I know I could run faster and lose the weight if I gave up the beer and wine. I'm just not willing to do that.

Give up wine? No.

So I found a travel agent that still has spaces for the half marathon. Between not being able to get a personal day from work approved for Monday, January 8 and the fact that I'm really not ready for a full marathon (I've decided to make that my Fall 2018 goal), I won't be able to make the Marathon work. But I can hopefully get a personal day for Friday, January 5, so if that works out I could still make the half happen. Fly down Thursday night and back sometime Sunday. The travel agent said they're waiting to hear updated info on room availability, but if I can get one of the value resorts, I may try to do it. We'll see what happens! My only fear is the winter travel aspect.

Yay!! So happy for you!! There is a late, direct flight on Southwest Thursday night - we're taking that one so that everyone can have a full day of work and school on Thursday and then be at the expo Friday morning to pick up my Goofy packet and 18yo's half marathon packet. Hope you can get the day off for Friday! We're at Pop Thursday night and then over to WL for the rest of the trip. I keep checking to see if we can get WL for the whole stay. Point is, in doing all this checking, I've seen availability change constantly - good luck!!

For those of you training in northern climates...what is your go-to attire for running when the temps dip down into the 20s and 30s? I am mainly wondering in terms of long-sleeve shirts/layers that you prefer. I want to stay as warm as possible while not being bulky.

For those of you training in northern climates...what is your go-to attire for running when the temps dip down into the 20s and 30s? I am mainly wondering in terms of long-sleeve shirts/layers that you prefer. I want to stay as warm as possible while not being bulky.
Long sleeves for sure. Compression pants as well. Sometimes a hat.

I really like my columbia base layer clothes. I use a combination of attire to run in wind chill as low as -25F reasonably comfortably.

Give up wine? No.

This. Although I have tried to restrict my consumption to the weekends. My dietary weaknesses are my daily chocolate consumption (I blame you, Trader Joe's Pound Plus 70% Dark and Milk Chocolate) and my daily glass of wine/beer. I have so far failed on the chocolate front, but the wine cutback has gone okay.

So I tend to run warm, i.e. I don't wear as much clothing when I run. My rule of thumb is this
50+ short sleeve shirt and shorts
40-49 Basic long sleeve shirt and shorts/capris (usually push the sleeves up once I've run a mile or so)
20ish-39 Basic long sleeve shirt and running tights (mine are loose fit)

I will wear a headband in the 40's or if it's really windy (if my ears get cold, I get headaches)
I will wear gloves in the 30's (after 2 miles, my hands warm up and sometimes I stuff them up my long sleeves)

When the weather gets more brutal-cold with wind, sleet, etc, I have a NB thermal shirt that I wear and also a pair of warm running underwear.

So for me, pretty much always one layer. I do have a jacket/shell, but I find that I overheat with layers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter