Marathon Weekend 2018

I am staying at OKW too, but it is my first time staying there. When I have done other Disney races in the past, I always try to be on one of the first buses out--I've just heard stories of drivers getting lost, massive traffic, etc. and I'd rather arrive too early instead of too late.

In 2012 (I think) we were staying at POR. We were on a bus that left at 3:30. The bus was completely packed with people standing in the aisles. The bus driver wound up getting lost and it took us an hour to get to epcot. I wound up missing all my meet ups before the race and wound up having to push it to get to the corrals before the race started.

Curious if anyone has driven from OKW? I’m doing 10k and full. With its proximity I’m a little worried about how the normal route may be affected. I hate relying on the buses and waiting in lines. Plus I like the chance to wait in the car if it’s chilly.

In 2012 (I think) we were staying at POR. We were on a bus that left at 3:30. The bus was completely packed with people standing in the aisles. The bus driver wound up getting lost and it took us an hour to get to epcot. I wound up missing all my meet ups before the race and wound up having to push it to get to the corrals before the race started.

Sounds like a good reason to stay at the Poly and take the monorail. :)

Although I stayed at POFQ in 2016 for Goofy and the bus service was excellent on both Friday and Saturday with no overcrowding.

Curious if anyone has driven from OKW? I’m doing 10k and full. With its proximity I’m a little worried about how the normal route may be affected. I hate relying on the buses and waiting in lines. Plus I like the chance to wait in the car if it’s chilly.
Not OKW, but I drive from WBC each year, which is the same area. You'll just take a left out of OKW, another left onto Bonnet Creek Parkway, a right on Buena Vista Dr., a right onto World Dr. (follow signs to EP) and stay in your right lanes, which go straight into the EP lot. I leave within 15 mins of when race buses start (so if buses start at 3am, I try to be out my door by 3:15), and the roads are always clear and empty. :thumbsup2

Sounds like a good reason to stay at the Poly and take the monorail. :)

Although I stayed at POFQ in 2016 for Goofy and the bus service was excellent on both Friday and Saturday with no overcrowding.
We didn't have issues on Sunday of that year, we stayed there again the following year and there were no issues then either

Happy Sunday! Hope everyone had a great week!

Today’s Sundays are for Disney question:

Where are you staying for Marathon weekend?

My answer: Bay Lake Tower. It’s my first time there or at an MK resort in general so I’m incredibly excited for that.

BLT as well. It is our home resort. Monorail to the the race start is awesome, I just get on at 4am and never worry about getting stuck in traffic or the driver getting lost :thumbsup2

As someone mentioned, but best part about the dvc villas during marathon weekend is the laundry room, not the kitchen. Don't get me wrong; the kitchen is a plus as well to have your early morning meal just like you would back home. But being able to clean those stinky clothes helps on packing space and more importantly smell.

+1 on this :thumbsup2 Love having washer/dryer in our room. It means I can pack fewer duplicate running items and just launder them, and not deal with the stench afterward

Ok, I'm also beginning to worry about getting swept and I'm hoping people can let me know if this is a reasonable concern or not. My average pace for the 18 miler this weekend was 15:44. That's cutting it close to the 16 minutes and it doesn't include any stops. I'm assuming that I'll have at least 1 bathroom stop during the marathon. And I'm not sure how long the bathroom line will be. But I should also have some cushion from the balloon ladies since I have a 5:50 POT based on my half marathon PR. So if I stop for the bathroom around halfway (maybe in Animal Kingdom) and still have an average pace hovering around the 16 minutes per mile (though this is long, slow, easy run pace and not race pace but imagining worst case scenario), should I be ok given that I should hopefully not be in the last corral?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter