Marathon Weekend 2018

So, are marathons like childbirth? Painful process, but once you're done and have the sense of accomplishment and are cuddling that nice shiny medal you kind of forget the pain and start considering doing it all over again?

'Cause yesterday sucked at parts, and I definitely feel like someone beat me up today, but my mind is already going "So Space Coast, marathon or half?":scratchin

So, are marathons like childbirth? Painful process, but once you're done and have the sense of accomplishment and are cuddling that nice shiny medal you kind of forget the pain and start considering doing it all over again?

'Cause yesterday sucked at parts, and I definitely feel like someone beat me up today, but my mind is already going "So Space Coast, marathon or half?":scratchin

I'm definitely proud of those medals earned this year; however I haven't forgotten the pain. To get to my office, I have to go up one flight of stairs and back down another. I felt it this morning, and I'm sure I will again in a few minutes when I go to lunch and return from it. haha.

I definitely have not forgotten the pain. Maybe ask me again in a week lol.

Give it about two weeks and you’ll be thinking about the next one. :)

If rD can't help you, you're welcome to have mine.

I had no expectations and I was not disappointed. :rotfl:

Thank so much! If they won’t send me one I will definitely take you up on that!

@rteetz called and was told I had to email. Anyone have the email address. The guy on the phone told me but my cold meds hadn’t kicked in yet.

I don't think that's true. Several friends stopped at the med tents multiple times, and they're not on the SAG list. They did get cool red Xs to show they'd be given medicine though. :)

Huh weird because I’ve heard of the opposite.

This marathon didn’t go nearly as well as the first one, but since injury derailed my training I wasn’t really expecting it to. Leg cramps started half way through and I developed a blister at WWoS. Made a couple med tent stops and hobbled across the finish line with margarita in hand! I’m glad I did it, but certainly happy this one is over.

My younger sister finished the marathon however her bib didn’t record a time at the mile 20 marker or her at the finish. And she’s on the sag list. She’s pretty gutted as she’s had norovirus all week and still managed to do dopey (even though it took her almost 8 hours in the marathon bless her)! Can we just email Run Disney and get it sorted? Her Garmin died as well so she doesn’t have a clue for her finishers time. It was her first marathon, So she doesn’t care how long it took her, she just wants a time and her name on the finishers list!

We had a mixed week, like I said my younger sister got norovirus and had to walk most the races and I ended up getting it the day of the half. Managed to run/walk the marathon in 6.30 having ate nothing - was basically a glorified tour of the toilets in Disney but I don’t care, we all did it! Massive congratulations to all who completed their races and for those whose weekends didn’t go to plan, remember this - you had the courage to start and sign up and the mental and physical strength to do the months and months of training so if you can do that, your race and day will come.

Congratulations racers!! This was my first Dopey and barring the temperatures I loved it!!
5K I did not stop for photos and so ended with an unintentional PR.
10K DID stop and still came in way faster than anticipated.
1/2 We lost my Dads wife in the corral (she left to go bathroom) and spent first few miles really slow hoping she'd "catch us". Then I remembered the tracker app where we discovered she was actually 1.5 miles ahead of us. So we switched to sprint mode to try and catch her. We weren't able to close the gap, so we gave up and started getting character shots-including doing push-ups with Sarg (mr Dads one request). Ended with the originally intended PW.
Full: This gets a shout out to @DopeyBadger whose plan, I'll admittedly I did not follow perfectly, but definitely close enough to reap the rewards: I stopped for 10 characters plus park pictures so my overall time was a PW, however between those breaks I ran my fastest consistent pace of all 4 days that without stops would have been a PR!!! AND I'm barely sore today!!!!

My younger sister finished the marathon however her bib didn’t record a time at the mile 20 marker or her at the finish. And she’s on the sag list. She’s pretty gutted as she’s had norovirus all week and still managed to do dopey (even though it took her almost 8 hours in the marathon bless her)! Can we just email Run Disney and get it sorted? Her Garmin died as well so she doesn’t have a clue for her finishers time. It was her first marathon, So she doesn’t care how long it took her, she just wants a time and her name on the finishers list!

We had a mixed week, like I said my younger sister got norovirus and had to walk most the races and I ended up getting it the day of the half. Managed to run/walk the marathon in 6.30 having ate nothing - was basically a glorified tour of the toilets in Disney but I don’t care, we all did it! Massive congratulations to all who completed their races and for those whose weekends didn’t go to plan, remember this - you had the courage to start and sign up and the mental and physical strength to do the months and months of training so if you can do that, your race and day will come.
silly question, what does SAG mean? I would assume you can get photos of her crossing the finish line and throughout the course to prove she finished and email that to rundisney

It's amazing the amount of people sick and injured,its all I hear on the boards and Facebook.My cold for example even though I took it easy yesterday(PW time),was as bundled up as could be definitely took a step in the wrong direction after running yesterday,I feel decent enough today but had a fever last night and the congestion is a bit worse.I definitely felt my body was well enough to run yesterday but taking it easy and lack of training and not having run more than a half in training had my legs feeling like jello by mile 17-18.Did ride Everest and I'm sure riding it in that cold was not smart either,I almost skipped it when I saw the long standby line of runners,I think it was 9:00-9:05 and I really wanted to ride it,I looked over at the singles line and it looked closed but I saw a CM do something with the sign so I walked over and asked if it was open and she said just opened it up,first person of the day to go through singles,probably saved 10-15 minutes.That mile between using the bathroom and riding Everest took me 25 minutes.I just keep taking the emergen c's to strengthen my immune system and totally get rid of this.

Last edited:

This happened to my wife in the half a few years ago except her bib didn’t record anything. We emailed RD with her bib number and time she finished. They checked the race photos to confirm she crossed the finish line and gave her an official time.

Yea, mine didn't register my 20 mile marker either. Thankfully the finish did though. Felt bad for my mom though who was tracking me and therefore never got my 20 mile notification so she thought I had been picked up or was way behind time and started to panic a little bit.

Overall, I had a great weekend! I really, really enjoyed the 5K and 10K with lots and lots of stops for pictures and characters. The half was a little tough for me for some reason and that had me worried for the full. But the full ended up being a pretty decent race for me. I was coming off having the flu a few weeks before the races and still had some lingering symptoms. Missed my last long run/simulation weekend so I was a little nervous, but I'm glad I was able to finish. Personal worsts across the board (which I was kinda going for), but I really enjoyed the courses! Not sure if I'll do Dopey again, maybe in 5 more years for the 30th Marathon/10th Dopey.

That pretty much sums it up. Disney two years ago was my first marathon and I was pretty much set to be done after that, then found out about the Coast to Coast challenge and said, well, Disneyland is "just" a half. And then I saw their 10K course and decided to do the Double Dare and load up on medals. Then I was done. Except, then I saw the course for the LA Marathon and had to give that a try this past March. I wasn't able to train as much as I wanted and my body was ready to quit about Mile 23 and I really struggled to get to the finish on that. So I was done. Except now, my daughter wants to go to college in New York City, so I'm starting to look at that marathon (good excuse to visit her!). And there's a Mt. Rushmore half marathon I get emails on. I definitely had withdrawals this year reading everyone's posts and I think within a couple of years, I'll be back. I'm waiting until Toy Story and Star Wars Lands open to see if they'll get more park time.

The funny thing with the LA Marathon was I also got tickets to Beauty and the Beast at the El Capitan Theater and it was opening weekend. My favorite seats there are front row balcony. Stupidest decision I ever made, not taking into account I was running the marathon that morning. Stairs were not my friend!

I’m pretty confused today. My cold and congestion has gotten worse and I was fighting a fever last night. However, my muscles have never felt remotely this good the day after a marathon. It leads me to believe that I may have had a much better effort in me if I wasn’t sick. I’m still not at all happy with myself for my poor training this year, but maybe I haven’t completely undone all of the gains I’ve made in the past. Sorry to see that so many others were dealing with the same issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter