I work with all levels of runners. As @lhermiston stated my tag line should be, "All kinds of plans. For all kinds of runners."

From the first time 5k'er to the sub-3 hour marathoner. The plans are completely customizable as well. Which means I fit running around your life instead of your life around running. It's all about trying to find the right balance. I won't lie though, the Dopey plans are tough. But they are accomplishable. I do run/walk, continuous, 3 day, 4 day, 5 day, 6 day, etc. You tell me what you can do and I mold a plan around you using my philosophies.

I’ll probably be talking to you then. I’m already running 4 days a week (following Higdon’s method).

I’ll probably be talking to you then. I’m already running 4 days a week (following Higdon’s method).

You should be in a good place to try out one of the plans, then. I started out using Higdon plans and it was a natural transition to an @DopeyBadger plan. Even now, when I’m between his plans I go back to a Higdon plan and run its mileage at the paces that he has set up for me.

A challenge to my memory, but I feel like these testimonials were from first time marathoners doing Dopey.

It sounds like you're the one to talk to about that. I've got one goal for sure in the next year, and that's shave another 10-15 minutes off my half PR by September (Race against a particular annoying family member who I almost beat last year). But Dopey does sound like a challenge I grow more and more like I'd like to defeat.

Not funny.
I actually just took it off of my calendar yesterday.

Me too. :( It's actually better for the delay as I'm still not fully decided on whether or not we want to add on the 10K, but it's still disappointing. I love the excitement of registration day.

It sounds like you're the one to talk to about that. I've got one goal for sure in the next year, and that's shave another 10-15 minutes off my half PR by September (Race against a particular annoying family member who I almost beat last year). But Dopey does sound like a challenge I grow more and more like I'd like to defeat.

Send me a PM and we can talk about the data. A 10-15 min improvement between now and September for a HM may or may not be aggressive based on the rest of the data. I can give you a reasonable guess as to what is possible between now and then. I usually look at improvement as a %, because then it's all relative to one another. So a 10 min improvement for a 3:00 HM runner is 6% (170/180), but a 10 min improvement for a 1:40 HM runner is 10% (90/100). Big difference between them and it'll come down to your current 5k/10k times as to how realistic the improvement would be. But as I run by the motto, "If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it."

Send me a PM and we can talk about the data. A 10-15 min improvement between now and September for a HM may or may not be aggressive based on the rest of the data. I can give you a reasonable guess as to what is possible between now and then. I usually look at improvement as a %, because then it's all relative to one another. So a 10 min improvement for a 3:00 HM runner is 6% (170/180), but a 10 min improvement for a 1:40 HM runner is 10% (90/100). Big difference between them and it'll come down to your current 5k/10k times as to how realistic the improvement would be. But as I run by the motto, "If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it."

I was actually just looking for one of your old posts that talks about a typical improvement per cycle. Did I recall correctly that it is generally around 2-4% once you get past the low hanging fruit where endurance doesn't line up with speed?

That's just rude! I'm ready to be registered and fully committed. To Dopey, not an institution. Although some would say both apply...
:rotfl2:

Happy marathon registration da...

Oh. Right. Never mind.
Just full of jokes...

For me it's the not knowing the "when" now. I had this date on my calendar forever! Oddly I never wrote it in pen... maybe I subconsciously knew...

I was actually just looking for one of your old posts that talks about a typical improvement per cycle. Did I recall correctly that it is generally around 2-4% once you get past the low hanging fruit where endurance doesn't line up with speed?

Yes and no. It certainly comes down to the individual data. When making that initial adjustment in training (the low hanging fruit), I've seen people cut off as much as 24%. That almost always comes from a marathon improvement as many struggle to hit the race equivalency from shorter distances. But yes, after that initial gain things do indeed slow down. But not always. I was confident I was honing in on my personal max last Spring. I decided to do an intense Daniels session (very similar to the one you are currently doing). This is what happened for me:

My previous (5k) PR was a 21:02, so this represents a 1:32 improvement (new time of 19:30) in roughly 11 weeks of Daniels training. That's roughly a 7.4% improvement which is outstanding! A normal Daniels 10k improvement is somewhere around 2-3%, so I'm pretty happy about 7.4% from my actual PR. I did estimate my current fitness at a 20:30 going into this race, but I can't be entirely positive on that accuracy (still would be a 5% improvement). In addition, these three individual miles represent the three fastest miles I have ever run in my life at 6:02, 6:17, and 6:24. My previous mile PR was a 6:26.

Something else to ponder. I've run ~7450 miles in my running career to date. My first 5k was January 2014 in 23:36. My previous PR was a 21:02 in January 2017. So in three years time, I dropped 2:34 from my 5k PR (or a 10.8% improvement). I just dropped another 7.4% (1:32) in 11 weeks!!! So, yea... Daniels 10k training works!

In addition, I worked with another runner who finally had something click in training. He'd been around a 1:50 HM runner for about a year of working together and made small improvements here and there. I was quite confident he was faster than that, but we weren't seeing the fruits of that data. Finally, it clicked and his body caught up. He dropped his HM PR from 1:50 to 1:29 at Disney. He just dropped his 10k down to ~38:30 and 5k to ~18:30. We've finally started to unlock the numbers for him.

So yes, generally the improvement rate is somewhere in the 2-4% range. But that's on the low end and usually where I try to commit to when coming up with projections. But, there have been a handful of occasions where I've seen dramatic jumps in progress with runners who aren't getting that low hanging fruit.

Yes and no. It certainly comes down to the individual data. When making that initial adjustment in training (the low hanging fruit), I've seen people cut off as much as 24%. That almost always comes from a marathon improvement as many struggle to hit the race equivalency from shorter distances. But yes, after that initial gain things do indeed slow down. But not always. I was confident I was honing in on my personal max last Spring. I decided to do an intense Daniels session (very similar to the one you are currently doing). This is what happened for me:

My previous (5k) PR was a 21:02, so this represents a 1:32 improvement (new time of 19:30) in roughly 11 weeks of Daniels training. That's roughly a 7.4% improvement which is outstanding! A normal Daniels 10k improvement is somewhere around 2-3%, so I'm pretty happy about 7.4% from my actual PR. I did estimate my current fitness at a 20:30 going into this race, but I can't be entirely positive on that accuracy (still would be a 5% improvement). In addition, these three individual miles represent the three fastest miles I have ever run in my life at 6:02, 6:17, and 6:24. My previous mile PR was a 6:26.

Something else to ponder. I've run ~7450 miles in my running career to date. My first 5k was January 2014 in 23:36. My previous PR was a 21:02 in January 2017. So in three years time, I dropped 2:34 from my 5k PR (or a 10.8% improvement). I just dropped another 7.4% (1:32) in 11 weeks!!! So, yea... Daniels 10k training works!

In addition, I worked with another runner who finally had something click in training. He'd been around a 1:50 HM runner for about a year of working together and made small improvements here and there. I was quite confident he was faster than that, but we weren't seeing the fruits of that data. Finally, it clicked and his body caught up. He dropped his HM PR from 1:50 to 1:29 at Disney. He just dropped his 10k down to ~38:30 and 5k to ~18:30. We've finally started to unlock the numbers for him.

So yes, generally the improvement rate is somewhere in the 2-4% range. But that's on the low end and usually where I try to commit to when coming up with projections. But, there have been a handful of occasions where I've seen dramatic jumps in progress with runners who aren't getting that low hanging fruit.
I just want to finish :)

This will be my first full and as I am planning for it, it will be the only race that I am doing (plus, since I teach, I couldn't make the 5 or 10k's anyway). Don't care about times.

Now, if I were doing a half, which I will go back to after this race, I'd like to cut down on what seems like my eternal 2 1/2 hour finishing time... My problem is finding time to run... I did 4 miles on Saturday (42 minutes). I have a 3 mile in the neighborhood and in the past 3 months I've been as low as 28:30 and as high as 35:00 and everything in-between...

I just want to finish :)

This will be my first full and as I am planning for it, it will be the only race that I am doing (plus, since I teach, I couldn't make the 5 or 10k's anyway). Don't care about times.

Now, if I were doing a half, which I will go back to after this race, I'd like to cut down on what seems like my eternal 2 1/2 hour finishing time... My problem is finding time to run... I did 4 miles on Saturday (42 minutes). I have a 3 mile in the neighborhood and in the past 3 months I've been as low as 28:30 and as high as 35:00 and everything in-between...

With a lack of availability it certainly makes it tougher. That just means you'd need to stretch out the plan over more weeks or days per week. There are ways around it. But the amount of time you can commit to is pretty correlative to how much you can expect to gain out of it. But you tell me what you think you can do, and then I write the plan based on that. Just send me a PM if you'd like to work together on finding something that works for you. But with a goal of finishing a marathon, I think we can make it work for sure.

That's really helpful, thanks! I was just curious as I am having fun with the 10k training and am pondering doing another round of shorter distances rather than stepping up to half marathon (unless two speed-focused cycles in a row would be problematic). I will see how I feel after this race though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter