So, I have to get up and clean up Kinnick Stadium tomorrow for my daughter's XC team ... anyone opposed to kicking off the Sundays are for Disney party a little early?

Lot of discussion this week about temperatures. Since we're all from different parts of the country (world?), we're all used to running in different climates. @rteetz and I have a little different experience in the Midwest than @Keels and @FFigawi have down south, for instance. So, this week's Sundays are for Disney is all about weather and leaning more toward running than Disney, but it should be fun anyway (and I need enough questions to last another four months, they can't all be winners!).

Anyway, what is the coldest temperature you've run in? What is the hottest temperature you've run in? And what were just the most miserable conditions you've run in? (Obligatory Disney connection - who knows what kind of weather we're going to get for marathon weekend??)

The lowest temp I've run is probably 5 degrees and the hottest is probably upper 80s or low 90s. I don't recall a super miserable run, but I remember one long run earlier this year that fell right after a snow storm. Since it was a Sunday morning, a majority of the sidewalks had not been cleared, so I was running in 2-3 inches of snow. Not fun. Anything with sleet or rain in your face isn't fun, either.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I hope you all have a great (and not too hot/cold) week!

- Lee

Coldest - -15* when living in Russia. It hurt too much to breathe below that, even wearing a balaclava.

Hottest - 115 while living in the Middle East. Not fun but great for losing water weight ;)

Most miserable - Disney on Ice 2010. 34*, sleet, and freezing rain.

Coldest - Princess 10K 2015 - Think it was around 35 degrees
Hottest - 95 Degrees - Memorial Day 5K/10K
Most Miserable - Memorial Day 5K 2018 - heat + rain = horrible humidity. Even my husband ended that race incredibly cranky because of how miserable he was at the end

So my DH just decided today that he thinks it's a bad idea for him and the kids to come with me on the trip. I mentioned that to him months ago before we booked anything and he thought I was crazy for considering going without them. So now I'm super frustrated because I booked AKL with rented points and our flights are all booked already. If I had known I would have just booked Pop or AoA. And now we're probably going to lose a lot of money on the flights because I don't think we'll be able to use the credit before it expires. Argh.

On the other hand, I'm kind of excited about the possibility of a solo trip and doing what I want.

So my DH just decided today that he thinks it's a bad idea for him and the kids to come with me on the trip. I mentioned that to him months ago before we booked anything and he thought I was crazy for considering going without them. So now I'm super frustrated because I booked AKL with rented points and our flights are all booked already. If I had known I would have just booked Pop or AoA. And now we're probably going to lose a lot of money on the flights because I don't think we'll be able to use the credit before it expires. Argh.

On the other hand, I'm kind of excited about the possibility of a solo trip and doing what I want.
That is a bummer! Solo trips are fun though, especially during race weekends. You can eat, sleep, and play on your own time! I’ll be at AKL with a race friend from on here too!

Coldest - -15* when living in Russia. It hurt too much to breathe below that, even wearing a balaclava.

Hottest - 115 while living in the Middle East. Not fun but great for losing water weight ;)

Most miserable - Disney on Ice 2010. 34*, sleet, and freezing rain.

Alright, John, you win!

That stinks. Embrace the idea of a solo trip, I suppose. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

SAFD

Coldest single digits with windchill
Hottest 90 with humidity!

I’ll take cold and/or rain over heat and humidity A-N-Y....D-A-Y!!!

I agree. To paraphrase a science teacher I had in high school, I can always put on more layers, but there's a limit to how many they'll let me take off.

Anyway, what is the coldest temperature you've run in? What is the hottest temperature you've run in? And what were just the most miserable conditions you've run in? (Obligatory Disney connection - who knows what kind of weather we're going to get for marathon weekend??)

Coldest - I think like somewhere in the 10-15 range, feels like a little below 0. The water in my water bottle froze.
Hottest - low to mid 80s with humidity in the 80%-90% range. I've been running in short sleeves a lot this summer, which is weird (I don't start running in short sleeves until it hits the 70s)

Add me to the group of people who prefer cold. I'm fine with extra layers, but I'm not someone who will run in just a sports bra, so over 85ish, I just plain overheat.

Anyway, what is the coldest temperature you've run in? What is the hottest temperature you've run in? And what were just the most miserable conditions you've run in? (Obligatory Disney connection - who knows what kind of weather we're g
As a reminder, the majority of my training is done on my treadmill and semi temperature controlled (nothing below mid-60's and highs closely matching the outside temp...aka no central air.) My coldest run was probably a Turkey Trot in the low-mid 30's. The hottest occurred on multiple weeknights this summer when we had temps around 90 (did I mention no central air?!?) The most miserable conditions I have run in were during a Santa themed half marathon in 2015. It was very cold (low 40's), windy and wet (it rained the entire time). My clothes soaked through and I was freezing and miserable. But, that was the first time I broke 2:30! I shook so violently the entire drive home, I'm not sure how I made it! Ever since that race, my biggest race day fear has been cold rain (Splash & Dash had nothing on this!)

Coldest - 0
Hottest - 100

Who knows with feels like and wind chills and all. The 0 temps though honestly are painful and my leg went numb or my feet never warm up.

The worst is freezing rain/wind chills I think, it hurts.

But, come racing it's going to be hot for my marathon next week and it will suck too. Where is the order up perfect racing weather magic when you need it?!

Last edited:
Coldest - 23 at the Mercedes Half Marathon about 5 years ago
Hottest - It was 97 with 85% humidity when I did a run this summer between the Poly and the Grand. Completely miserable. The other night I ran at 85 degrees and about 95% humidity (moisture was being sucked in up here by TS Gordon). Almost as miserable...

I saw a facebook ad (so who the heck knows how legit it is) for laundry detergent that is made specifically for active wear. I don't know if I'll go so far as to pursue trying it, but it "claimed" it gets activewear cleaner than normal detergent. hmmmmm

TMI time - I'm starting to get chafing from the dreaded "under the sports bra" sweat fest (and the rain this weekend didn't help that.) The joys of running?

I use one of those sports clothes specific detergents from the sporting goods store on my clothes and it is pretty much the only thing that works. Regular detergent will briefly mask the smell...but the underlying funk is still there. The sports stuff doesn’t really have a fragrance, but the funk is neutralized. Vinegar also works, but I just remember the towels in gym class having that vinegar smell, which I hated. So, I stick with the sports detergent.

Coldest was 8 degrees with a negative windchill for a January 5k race. Placed first in age cause only 10 people in my division showed up!

Hottest was a half marathon that got up to 97 and averaged 93 but felt like 200 degrees. I've ran in plenty summer runs that have gotten into the low 90s but I prefer treadmill when it's that miserable.

Today was perfect 60 degrees and breezy!!!

Coldest: single digits with wind and a ‘feels like’ of -5*F. I have decided that was horrible and unless I invest in ski goggles I’m a +5 kind of girl.

Warmest: I don’t do hot. I used to leave a hot yoga class and vomit, so I have not pushed this too far. A sunny, low humidity 82 has been my max, still more pleasant than mid 70s and 90+% humidity. The temperature bottomed out here this weekend, it is a high of 55, I’m quite content with that!

I use one of those sports clothes specific detergents from the sporting goods store on my clothes and it is pretty much the only thing that works. Regular detergent will briefly mask the smell...but the underlying funk is still there. The sports stuff doesn’t really have a fragrance, but the funk is neutralized. Vinegar also works, but I just remember the towels in gym class having that vinegar smell, which I hated. So, I stick with the sports detergent.

I'm having this issue too - do you have a brand name for the specific sports detergent you're using?

I'm having this issue too - do you have a brand name for the specific sports detergent you're using?

You didn't ask me, but I use Nathan Sport-Wash. I order it off of Amazon. I also use Persil PowerClean for regular laundry, but the Nathans for the really stinky-a$$ gross stuff.

You didn't ask me, but I use Nathan Sport-Wash. I order it off of Amazon. I also use Persil PowerClean for regular laundry, but the Nathans for the really stinky-a$$ gross stuff.

I use the same. I use it for several washes and then I will use regular detergent with some oxiclean powder. The Nathan’s is great for getting the stink out, but I like the other stuff for getting stains out. I live in a very hot and humid area and this works pretty good.

Garmin Connect tells me that my coldest run (at least since I've had my Forerunner 235) was in December of 2017 - it was 27 degrees with a real feel of 14 degrees. I may have run in colder though, back when my watch didn't track that tidbit.

Hottest - any July or August day here in PA. I didn't run last week when it was 88 with a real feel of 100 and 80-something humidity. It was hard to breathe just walking outside!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter