Okay. I'm in. Maybe.

I'm running the Dark Side half(my first half) in 60 days. And all this talk about registration opening has me thinking that I might be in for the 1/2 next January as well.

So without taking the time to read the previous 32(!) pages of this thread....how soon should I register so that I don't get shut out? I don't want to register before Dark Side in case I discover that Disney races just aren't for me, but on the other hand I don't want to have an amazing experience at Dark Side and then miss out on registering for January's half because I waited too long.

Okay. I'm in. Maybe.

I'm running the Dark Side half(my first half) in 60 days. And all this talk about registration opening has me thinking that I might be in for the 1/2 next January as well.

So without taking the time to read the previous 32(!) pages of this thread....how soon should I register so that I don't get shut out? I don't want to register before Dark Side in case I discover that Disney races just aren't for me, but on the other hand I don't want to have an amazing experience at Dark Side and then miss out on registering for January's half because I waited too long.
The half usually doesn't sell out right away so you should be safe to wait until Darkside to see.

Got our room booked! 5 nights at OKW. I did the marathon in 2016 and stayed at All Star and thought it was fine. Now we're just experimenting with different resorts. Anyone out there have some good/bad experiences at OKW for marathon weekend (especially Dopey)? I've only stayed at All Star of all the times I've been to WDW so I'm excited for something new.

Got our room booked! 5 nights at OKW. I did the marathon in 2016 and stayed at All Star and thought it was fine. Now we're just experimenting with different resorts. Anyone out there have some good/bad experiences at OKW for marathon weekend (especially Dopey)? I've only stayed at All Star of all the times I've been to WDW so I'm excited for something new.

I stayed at OKW this past Dopey. I used the bus transportation and was on pretty much the first bus each time. For some odd reason, they sent us to SS for the HM and M before EPCOT. This resulted us in being the third or fourth bus in line at SS both times even though we had plenty of people from OKW. Both times our driver got frustrated and ended up passing the other buses before waiting to pick up more. Probably added an additional 20-30 min to the overall trip. Caused an issue for those caught up in the traffic behind the accident. I think it was @GollyGadget got stuck in that traffic from OKW off a 3:15am bus and cut it closer than hoped for corral placement.

The property is spread out for pre race transportation but they have a bus going around taking people to the front of OKW. We requested a close room and was only a 5 min walk.

Otherwise, I felt like it was a fine hotel choice for marathon weekend.

Welp. @croach turned out to be (slightly) prophetic.

It looks like I'll be back for Marathon Weekend in 2019, though I'm unsure of what races I'll do. Definitely not doing Dopey again, so don't any of y'all even bother trying to talk me in to that. Three times is enough for this night owl!

It looks like I'll be back for Marathon Weekend in 2019, though I'm unsure of what races I'll do. Definitely not doing Dopey again, so don't any of y'all even bother trying to talk me in to that. Three times is enough for this night owl!

Is it terribly selfish that I'm excited about this? I mean, I'm sorry that your other plans aren't happening, but I'm really hoping I actually get to see you this time (unlike my last Marathon Weekend trip...)!

If you're really not interested in Dopey, you can do 5K/10K/marathon with me and sleep in Saturday morning :)

Is it terribly selfish that I'm excited about this? I mean, I'm sorry that your other plans aren't happening, but I'm really hoping I actually get to see you this time (unlike my last Marathon Weekend trip...)!

If you're really not interested in Dopey, you can do 5K/10K/marathon with me and sleep in Saturday morning :)

Awww, sweet Sarah! You know how much I'd LOVE to see you!!!!

My Mom doesn't want to winter in Texas (and, um, me either) - and she doesn't need to be alone in this house by herself, so I said I'd take one for the team and come out here for most of January. :rotfl2:

Right now, I'm leaning towards either the half only or MAYBE Goofy. I would actually like to spectate the 10K!

Awww, sweet Sarah! You know how much I'd LOVE to see you!!!!

My Mom doesn't want to winter in Texas (and, um, me either) - and she doesn't need to be alone in this house by herself, so I said I'd take one for the team and come out here for most of January. :rotfl2:

Right now, I'm leaning towards either the half only or MAYBE Goofy. I would actually like to spectate the 10K!
Goofy!

We'll see you at HH's on Friday 1/11. 2:00 PM, right? :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter