Think I got all the throwaway layers we need. Mylar blankets - should I buy some?
I agree with PrincessV in being a fan of mylars. I bought a box from Amazon a few years ago I'm still using out of. I like how they block the wind. You can become a burrito to stay warm in one. Just make sure you don't have it on at all when crossing the start, I've heard it can mess with chips.

5k is SOLD OUT again if anyone was wondering.
Now I may start getting nervous about signing up for the Half or Goofy. I'm planning on signing up on Saturday.

Wow I really like the Goofy spinner.

Think I got all the throwaway layers we need. Mylar blankets - should I buy some?
I like them. At some of the marathons they will tape them shut one you wrap them around you. I bring a little bit of tape now to do that.

I might need your help folding my mylar blankets

I have some old ones from races that I will bring, and I'll take each days home for the next race. I dont buy them. But that's because I'm a pack rat and keep them.

I kept mine from RNRLV to bring with me to WDW! #packratlife

I also have 2 from past races that I've been saving for this very reason!

I have some old ones from races that I will bring, and I'll take each days home for the next race. I dont buy them. But that's because I'm a pack rat and keep them.
They don't take up that much space and I just put them near my running shirts so I know where they are when that time comes.

I also have 2 from past races that I've been saving for this very reason!
I do that all the time. For marathon weekend, I may just buy some inexpensive fleece hoodies and donate them once I start to warm up. I did that for Avengers last year with the wildfires going on. I found that I was warmer with the fleece than a mylar blanket before the race and someone in need got an essentially brand new fleece full zip hoodie.

Im not a big fan of the mylar blankets pre-race. I want something I can run a mile or two in and then take off.I usually find a local second hand store ad look for something there but medical scrubs are my usual go-to. The pants have a big enough leg opening that I can slide them off and over my shoe very quickly and the neck openings are big enough that I can take them off while running. I usually stock up on gloves from the dollar tree near my home....whether their auto gloves or garden gloves they usually have something I can wear for a little bit until i warm up. Usually my main street I've ditched everything...last year I wore the gloves until mile 20 inside ESPN.

The other reason I prefer clothes is most races (I believe RunDisney is one of them) uses the clothes that people ditch and donate them to those in need. Those mylar blankets just get thrown away.

Last edited:
Prior to he very cold marathon weekend earlier this year, DW and I bought mylar blankets right off Amazon. We also went to Walmart and stocked up on throwaway blankets, hats, sweaters, gloves and handwarmers. As cold as the forecast was, we needed to be prepared, and since we were doing Dopey, we were. Those mylar blankets came in very handy on race morning. I'd go into the corral, form a little tent over myself and be quite confortable until I had to get up and move towards the start. Once the race started, we just threw away the other clothes as we warmed up.

Im not a big fan of the mylar blankets pre-race. I want something I can run a mile or two in and then take off.I usually find a local second hand store ad look for something there but medical scrubs are my usual go-to. The pants have a big enough leg opening that I can slide them off and over my shoe very quickly and the neck openings are big enough that I can take them off while running. I usually stock up on gloves from the dollar tree near my home....whether their auto gloves or garden gloves they usually have something I can wear for a little bit until i warm up. Usually my main street I've ditched everything...last year I wore the gloves until mile 20 inside ESPN.

The other reason I prefer clothes is most races (I believe RunDisney is one of them) uses the clothes that people ditch and donate them to those in need. Those mylar blankets just get thrown away.

I also got us blankets and sweats for throwaways as well as gloves and earwarmer headbands/beanies. Thinking of the Mylar for a wind breaking layer while waiting around.

I might need your help folding my mylar blankets

They don't take up that much space and I just put them near my running shirts so I know where they are when that time comes.

I do that all the time. For marathon weekend, I may just buy some inexpensive fleece hoodies and donate them once I start to warm up. I did that for Avengers last year with the wildfires going on. I found that I was warmer with the fleece than a mylar blanket before the race and someone in need got an essentially brand new fleece full zip hoodie.

At one point I someone had posted recommendations on throw away clothes that could be cheap. In addition to Mylars I'll sometimes bring old dress shirts, flannels that I am planning on donating any way. In addition to cheap clearance rack clothes, people also have good luck with the thrift store. Beyond Mylars some other things that I've found to work well.

1. Fleece blankets: We got a bunch of them for $5 at walmart. They wouldn't help if it's raining but in addition to providing warth you can also Sit on them in the corral. That's really nice if you are going to be in the corral. Easy to remove for pre-race pictures.
2. Bathrobes: Warm, easy to remove and provides butt cushioning when sitting in corrals
3. Jackets/Flannel shirt. Warm, and easy to remove, but don't provide as much cushioning.
4. Sweat pants/ Flannel Pajama Pants . these can be good if you're running in shorts/or a skirt and are going to be waiting around a while. I've used them before the NY marathon. They are nice when there is a really long wait before the race and you might have a lot of walking/moving around before the race, without the potential for pre-race pictures. Cut any elastic out of the bottom of the pants and it can be helpful to slit the sides up a little from the bottom. ( You want to be able to quickly get them off, without taking off your shoes)

I raided our closet for old jackets and sweats last year for Dopey. Went to Walmart once I saw the temps were continuing to drop and found cheap ear warmers that I wore while waiting. And don’t forgot hand and toe warmers as well! Bringing the previous days Mylar and wearing it also helped. I still have mine from the marathon last year and plan on packing it for Goofy. And I echo what @IamTrike said about cutting the elastic out of the bottom of your sweats. I about fell over trying to take my throw away sweats off while keeping my shoes on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter