Question for the southerners: How is Homecomin’? I grew up with good southern cooking and Asheville is full of trendy southern restaurants. I know folks overall really like the restaurant, but I wonder how much of that is just the novelty of southern-style dishes.

I grew up in North Florida and lived in Macon for 4 years. Homecomin has great biscuits and fried chicken. Art Smith lives in Jasper, FL so southern roots are evident.

The spiced pecans and pickles aren’t as good as some other places.

Question for the southerners: How is Homecomin’? I grew up with good southern cooking and Asheville is full of trendy southern restaurants. I know folks overall really like the restaurant, but I wonder how much of that is just the novelty of southern-style dishes.

I thought it was just OK, especially for the price $$$. I honestly prefer the Polite Pig - not really classic southern, but BBQ with lots of good southern side dishes. And a LOT less money than Homecomin

I'm pretty picky about my Southern cuisine, but Homecomin' is fine. It's not destination eating for my by any stretch, but I like the Shine Bar and will usually grab one of the "side plates" with biscuits, mac 'n' cheese and cole slaw. The chicken thigh appetizer is pretty legit too, as are the deviled eggs.

I like the food better there than Polite Pig, but again - I'm really picky about Southern cuisine.

Sundays: I haven't been to DS since it was in the process of transformation from DTD. I'm not really sad about this as many of the stores we have locally, like the aforementioned Uniqulo. Only thing that intrigues me are new eateries but not so much as to draw me from the resorts.

Sunday question: I really like Disney Springs for the food options. I don’t really shop much and if I do, it’s all the old stores that were there when it was downtown Disney. I’ve tried the Daily Poutine, Homecomin, the Polite Pig, the food trucks, and Jock Lindsay’s. I enjoyed Homecomin but agree with others that Polite Pig is really good and cheaper.

SAFD: I love the Christmas store at Disney Springs. I am also obsessed with Earl of Sandwich. Unfortunately most of our shorter weekend trips don't leave the time for us to get out there more. It seems to change every time we go!

I'm very picky about my fried chicken and mac n' cheese and I'd say it's a solid 3 out of 5. The mac n' cheese is really good, but it doesn't compare to some of the homemade varieties I have had. Overall I thought it was good, but we've never made it back there again so it isn't at the top of my list.

I like DS restaurants, but am not a big shopper. I go when I have something planned, like dinner, a movie, the Christmas Tree Trail, etc, then wander into a store or two and leave. It is usually too crowded for my taste.

The whiteout is supposed to come later. I’m hoping to run just as the rain turns to snow and before the sidewalks get slick.
Did you get your run in? We only ended up with like 2" & less just north, but just south of us they got 10". Doesn't mother nature we have marathon weekend coming up, ha!

Been away from the 2019 Marathon Weekend Tread for a while. I got injured, had ankle surgery, and had to let go of plans to run the 2019 Dopey, which would have been my 5th year. So everytime I went to the tread I would get depressed. But I wanted to say hi and send good wishes to everyone getting set to go in just a few more weeks! I hope the training and preparations are going well! I have set my sights on 2020 and will live vicariously through you all in 2019!
Oh boo! I hope you heal up!

Did you get your run in? We only ended up with like 2" & less just north, but just south of us they got 10". Doesn't mother nature we have marathon weekend coming up, ha!

Yup! Lots of sleet and wind the first 3 miles, then pretty pleasant (snow, but no wind) for the next 8. Last 4 miles were a drag, though. The snow had started to accumulate and it was hard to get a ton of traction, especially uphill. I avoided the worst of it, though. I’d say another 5-7 inches came down after I got home.

SAFD - I like Disney Springs, but it is hard for me to give up park time in order to go there. For marathon weekend, we are at AKL, so not sure we will make the trip. Maybe if I meet a friend who lives in Orlando, but otherwise, it will have to be on a trip that is longer than four nights.

I like DS, fun way to spend a few hours. I don’t think anyone has mentioned Uniqlo, which has some affordable and cute Disney shirts. My boys like the soccer store and the place that sells trendy sports socks (Stance? they aren’t here to ask). We have a Blaze pizza here, extremely popular with teen boys if you need to fill them up.

I thought Homecoming was pretty good, BUT having lived in the South for over 20 years and in foodie cities, I was less impressed, especially for the cost. I can easily go out and find places with better fried chicken for about 10 bucks compared to 30. That said, overall the food is good and the concept is good—it just probably will not live up to the hype. I would go back but I would try something other than the chicken, which I found oily. I thought the food at Ragland Road was actually better.

SAFD: I have never actually made it to DS, I can’t imagine trading park or pool time for it, and dragging along preschoolers seemed like a poor choice. I am not a fan of shopping and have seen nothing compelling at downtown Disney at DL, so I see little appeal. As marathon weekend will be sans kids, DH has requested to go to at least check out the void. Perhaps I will change my outlook?

Will Christmas stuff still be up for marathon weekend? (apologize if this was already discussed a few hundred pages ago...)

Happy belated Thanksgiving all! I managed 2 turkey trots this year - a 4 miler the weekend before, and dragged my hubby to one in vermont on thanksgiving day (it was 1 degree out!).

I’ve got a 10k on Saturday and a 5k on Sunday (family run in town) - so getting my race chops back!!

Haven’t been to DS since it was still under construction- and we usually don’t make it there on our trips. But I need to get back and try a few of the new restaurants!

We like Disney Springs but it’s not a must-do. We usually have a non-park day so that is typically when we go.

I like Homecomin’ and the chicken was very good but would agree with others that I’ve had better for a much cheaper price. Still it was solid good comfort food with some unique presentations.

SAFD - I like Disney Springs, but it is hard for me to give up park time in order to go there. For marathon weekend, we are at AKL, so not sure we will make the trip. Maybe if I meet a friend who lives in Orlando, but otherwise, it will have to be on a trip that is longer than four nights.

I’m in the same boat. We didn’t go in 2017 because it was only a 3.5 day trip and I wanted to stick to the parks. We’re going at least once in 2019, but I don’t know if we’ll eat enough there to change my mind considerably. Like I said, we like the boat ride down and it can be a nice change of pace.

Will Christmas stuff still be up for marathon weekend? (apologize if this was already discussed a few hundred pages ago...)
In 2015 marathon was a little later like this year, Jan 11 in 2015 versus the 13th this year and I have pictures of Christmas stuff. The tree was up on Main St. when we ran through. Right after the weekend stuff started coming down. A quick glance at photos and I see Epcot & Studios Christmas stuff was still up too at the start of our trip and it looks like the Monday after for sure at Epcot there was stuff up.
So, maybe.

Last edited:

In 2013, the marathon was on Jan 13th and the Christmas decor was still up...including the now-defunct Osborne lights in DHS.

If I remember correctly, everything was down on the following Monday (the 14th). So don't plan on a "we'll go back tomorrow for some pictures" strategy! I'd hate for you to miss out!

SAFD: We really like Disney Springs. It's great for a non-park arrival or departure day. I think it's definitely worth going to at least once, especially for the restaurants and WOD store. We've also been there on weekend nights when they have fun entertainment (music) and it has been fun to grab a treat and listen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter