@emilyindisney

On a side note- I’m counting on all you Dopeys to share your experiences with airport security lines- are they crazy due to TSA being short staffed? I’m not flying out of BDL until Friday so hopefully I can gauge how much extra time I’ll need!

Are you worried about BDL lines? FWIW I flew out of there tonight at 7:30 and it was one of the quickest checkpoints I’ve ever had there (I have pre-chek but regular line looked fine too).
We fly out of BDL at 6:00 AM on Wednesday. We have TSA Pre but I'll let you know how the general atmosphere is for security lines.

@emilyindisney

On a side note- I’m counting on all you Dopeys to share your experiences with airport security lines- are they crazy due to TSA being short staffed? I’m not flying out of BDL until Friday so hopefully I can gauge how much extra time I’ll need!

Are you worried about BDL lines? FWIW I flew out of there tonight at 7:30 and it was one of the quickest checkpoints I’ve ever had there (I have pre-chek but regular line looked fine too).

DH flies out of BDL tomorrow afternoon and me and the girls fly out on Wednesday afternoon. We'll keep you updated

Avoid Panda Express at the MCO airport. I have food poisoning from there ... It has been a fun couple of days so far. I can say though that my bed to bathroom speed has definitely improved - I hope I get better in time for the runs... Pardon the Pun

Oh no!!! Feel better soon...

Wow! What a difference some of you are seeing from what I am! My Weather Channel app this morning shows a drop to 20% chance of rain in Orlando on Sunday. With temps 59/74 on Sat night/Sunday it would be warm and muggy!

Good luck to everyone this week! My dad and sisters are doing the 10K. I am not going since I am doing the Princess half next month, but even though I’m excited for that, I’m having serious FOMO for Marathon weekend. Last year was so fun. I’m going to have an AP starting for that February trip so I am already thinking about 2020 Marathon weekend. :goodvibes

I have pre-check so I am not too worried. I also leave MKE at 6AM which its rarely ever crowded that early.
What day do you leave? My Dad is leaving Wednesday and is also on the early flight out of MKE. My sister leaves on the same flight on Thursday but I know you can’t be on that one if you’re doing Dopey.

Can anyone give suggestions on how to handle running 26 miles in rain? The rain chance just went up to 60% overnight and in the morning. Do you wear certain clothing? Certain socks? Any suggestions would be helpful!

rain runs, as it has been pointed out, involve a certain degree of misery. you just endure it. as it has also been pointed out, the one "must have" piece of apparel is a hat or visor to keep the rain out of your eyes as you run. guys should consider nipple protection or risk a bloody shirt. if you are considering a costume, you might want to evaluate if it will hold up to the conditions.

Last edited:
Avoid Panda Express at the MCO airport. I have food poisoning from there ... It has been a fun couple of days so far. I can say though that my bed to bathroom speed has definitely improved - I hope I get better in time for the runs... Pardon the Pun

I hope you feel better really soon and can find a way to stay hydrated (with some electrolytes).

According to the event guide the busses will start leaving the hotels at 9:30 on Wednesday morning for the expo. They run on a hotel to expo loop. For the races busses start leaving at 3:30 for the 5k and 10k and 3 for the half and full. Look for the coach busses at the bus stop. Eventually a sign board will go up in the lobby.

Thanks, read that too.
For the '17 Wine and Dine we stayed at Caribbean Beach. There they had the buses no where near the actual bus stops. They were inside the parking lot right up close to the actual resort buildings.
I didn't know if at Pop they might have the buses nearer to the buildings too.

Can anyone give suggestions on how to handle running 26 miles in rain? The rain chance just went up to 60% overnight and in the morning. Do you wear certain clothing? Certain socks? Any suggestions would be helpful!

Hat/visor to keep the rain out of your eyes. Body glide on your feet and wool socks. Depending on temperature a rain jacket.

Outside of a light rain jacket there really isn’t much you can do to stay dry. Your feet will get wet during a marathon at some point if it’s a consistent rain. Some people swear by toe socks(Injinji I think) because thry reduce the chance of blisters. You can also use anti chafing product on you feet to help. A hat is good to have to help keep the rain out of your face.

If it’s a light rain, it’s really not that bad.

https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a20791355/how-to-dress-for-rainy-runs/

Thanks, read that too.
For the '17 Wine and Dine we stayed at Caribbean Beach. There they had the buses no where near the actual bus stops. They were inside the parking lot right up close to the actual resort buildings.
I didn't know if at Pop they might have the buses nearer to the buildings too.

I've stayed at Pop a bunch for races. The bus picks up at the stop on the end that is usually blank. It's the one closest to the 80s and 90s buildings.

I should probably bring my rain hat, right? I feel like not packing it pretty much guarantees rain...

In my experience, being ready for rain during the race is more about staying dry prior to the race than anything else. Once you get started, there's not much way to stay dry. Try to stay as dry as possible pre-race. A rain poncho or even a trash bag with head and arm slits makes for an easy throwaway raincoat. If you have access, I like to have the waterproof booties used in clean rooms or hospitals to cover my shoes right up until race start. In a pinch, garbage bags can go over the shoes and be taped up above the ankle to provide the same benefit. I've got a roll of waterproof tape I actually got at the POFQ gift shop. A hat is a must for keeping rain out of your eyes, or off your glasses in my case. Also, anywhere that may chafe or blister needs an extra coat of anti-chafing solution of your choice.

Once you get into the race, I've found the rain can vary from refreshing (drizzle to light rain) to performance-impacting (heavy/soaking rain). Just try to keep your socks as dry as possible by avoiding puddles, if at all possible. Ultimately, it's one of those things you can't control, just adapt to.

Weather reports be damned — I’m packing TWO suitsuits. /hairflip
I'll have 2 as well packed with a little of everything.

Bring trash bags to stay dry if it's raining waiting in the corrals. People even put bags over their shoes to stay dry while waiting. You don't want to start completely soggy if you can help it. As for running in the rain if the temp isn't cold I won't do anything different. If it's cold I'll add arm sleeves then a jacket, etc. depending on temps. I just let the rain get in my eyes as I can't stand hats/visors, but don't wear glasses or contacts. In 2015 it rained some off and on, nothing terrible that I remember. It was dry when corral waiting that year, but I got wet half way through then it stopped then it started again after I finished.

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon. Try to up your hydration if you can to replenish.

Front Desk at Pop knew 'nothing' about the bus situation for the races/expo yesterday, Sunday, morning. Any idea when they should have information, or be willing to release it?
They'll put the bus board signs up soon with all the times in the lobbies usually.

I have run one marathon in the rain. Like pouring thunderstorms for 10 miles. It sucked. Big time.

And it was bad because it was an in-between temperature when the rain coat made me too warm (even though it is lightweight) and just running in a t-shirt was too cold, so I was taking the jacket off and tying it around my waist, then untying it and putting it back on a lot.

My best advice is to wear a hat and wicking clothing that dries quickly (if the rain ever stops). Nike Dri-Fit shorts and an Inknburn tech tee dried pretty well once the rain stopped. I also wear Injinji toe socks for all my runs, so that did help when my shoes and socks got wet.

See! See! That was my view too, but DH said there was no need for all of that. So down to 1 suitcase (eyeroll) and my carryon. Lol, I just can’t decide on what I really need.
I am limited to half of the roll aboard suitcase. This has emboldened me to to pick up rainbow leg warmers as opposed to packing shorts, capris, and full leggings. I got an eye roll when those were added to the pile!

I'm probably 90% packed at this point. Obviously nobody has a real clue what the weather is going to be like since forecasts are all over the place. LOL

Mostly, I'm just glad to see that none of the lows are crazy cold. I can deal with some rain and cooler than hoped for daily highs as long as it's not freezing cold in the corrals. I'm still hoping for at least some pool weather though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter