• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NOLA would be great, but you're right about things getting cancelled too often. I have the same issue with races that take place in the ocean: too high of a likelihood of getting cancelled. If I'm putting in all the time and effort (and money!) to do one, I want to give myself the best possible opportunity to actually complete it.

I briefly entertained the idea of the new IM 70.3 in Waco, since the course is similar to one I did last year ... but it’s Waco and I’d rather spend time at Disney before and after.

I briefly entertained the idea of the new IM 70.3 in Waco, since the course is similar to one I did last year ... but it’s Waco and I’d rather spend time at Disney before and after.

Yeah I saw that one too, and my wife used to live in Waco before we met so she could use it to see some old friends and stuff. I'll do a 70.3 next year (probably Ohio or Augusta), and then work on IMWOO for 2020. But even that poses complications, as the Olympics in Tokyo are that summer which would impact training. If I could do IMWOO next year, I would but I think that's asking a bit much, from zero (well, I did a sprint in 2014) to full Ironman in basically 8 months

No way!!!! One of my best girlfriends works for Gladney in FW!!

(I live in Fort Worth, btw)

I’m so thrilled you got in and are running for them! Let me know when you start fundraising, because I’ll definitely contribute!

Thanks!! It's a small world, right...??

Has anyone stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter for the marathon before? I'm starting to think that BC is not going to happen unless I can rent points and I have "heard" there is no availability. Second choice would be if Hotwire has another Hot Deal where I can get under $200. But looking at POFQ thru a travel agent, this would be a solid 3rd choice if it is doable for marathon weekend. We are "only" running the marathon this year so just have to take the buses once.

Has anyone stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter for the marathon before? I'm starting to think that BC is not going to happen unless I can rent points and I have "heard" there is no availability. Second choice would be if Hotwire has another Hot Deal where I can get under $200. But looking at POFQ thru a travel agent, this would be a solid 3rd choice if it is doable for marathon weekend. We are "only" running the marathon this year so just have to take the buses once.
I did POR not POFQ. POFQ is a smaller moderate resort and just had some room renovations as well as a food court renovation. For the expo and post race I think POFQ and POR share buses.

POFQ is my clear first choice for running weekends! I will stay there over any other moderate when running. It's a small resort, which means minimal walking to buses and food court. It's also very close to the start of the races, so the bus time is not nearly as long as many of the resorts. In addition, they've completely upgraded the food court with much better food options now and they have the "soda of all flavors" machines instead of the limited "on tap" selections that most resorts have. The boat to DS is also a nice feature and provides a break from having to take buses everywhere. Pro tip: Request a room in Building 4. Bldg 4 is in the sweet spot that minimizes the distance to both the food court and the park buses.

For January no, but I have stayed there for Wine & Dine and it was great!

Not sure how far POR is in walking distance but they have a nice food court including a pasta your way option if you want something other than what POFQ has for food.

I did POR not POFQ. POFQ is a smaller moderate resort and just had some room renovations as well as a food court renovation. For the expo and post race I think POFQ and POR share buses.

POFQ is my clear first choice for running weekends! I will stay there over any other moderate when running. It's a small resort, which means minimal walking to buses and food court. It's also very close to the start of the races, so the bus time is not nearly as long as many of the resorts. In addition, they've completely upgraded the food court with much better food options now and they have the "soda of all flavors" machines instead of the limited "on tap" selections that most resorts have. The boat to DS is also a nice feature and provides a break from having to take buses everywhere. Pro tip: Request a room in Building 4. Bldg 4 is in the sweet spot that minimizes the distance to both the food court and the park buses.

For January no, but I have stayed there for Wine & Dine and it was great!

Not sure how far POR is in walking distance but they have a nice food court including a pasta your way option if you want something other than what POFQ has for food.

Thanks guys! It sounds like it would be a good choice. :)

I've stayed at POFQ, but not for a race. I really liked it. It was small and compact and the grounds were just lovely. I never got a chance to take the boat to Disney Springs, but I've hear it's nice and relaxing.

I stayed at POFQ Marathon Weekend 2017. I really liked the resort for the size and proximity to the start line and Disney Springs. Room was spacious and clean (I’m kind of picky) but I don’t recall a mini fridge in the room.
If your daughter is going as well, it’s nice to have 2 beds versus a bed and a sofa bed. Sofa beds aren’t the most comfortable.
Housekeeping was very nice. I had requested a late checkout but still got back to the room late after the marathon. I pleaded with the housekeeper to give me 5 minutes so I could take a shower...I really needed one!
I would stay there again.

I stayed at POFQ Marathon Weekend 2017. I really liked the resort for the size and proximity to the start line and Disney Springs. Room was spacious and clean (I’m kind of picky) but I don’t recall a mini fridge in the room.
If your daughter is going as well, it’s nice to have 2 beds versus a bed and a sofa bed. Sofa beds aren’t the most comfortable.
Housekeeping was very nice. I had requested a late checkout but still got back to the room late after the marathon. I pleaded with the housekeeper to give me 5 minutes so I could take a shower...I really needed one!
I would stay there again.

Thank you! Yep we are both going and sharing a room. Last year we rented a studio at SS and we shared the bed. :) But two queens would be great!

Has anyone stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter for the marathon before?

Been lurking on this thread, since I'm on hiatus, but thought I'd chime in on this. POFQ was our go-to race resort before we upgraded to SSR.

As everyone else has said: nice and small, boat to DS, boat or walk to POR. Our preference has always been building 2, on the 'close' end of the pool side. Still close to the food court and buses, but also takes into account the pool and hot tub.

To us, the Garden View was worth it. If you have non-runners sleeping in, be aware that in some buildings, they will hear the fireworks for every corral.

Back to lurking...

Been lurking on this thread, since I'm on hiatus, but thought I'd chime in on this. POFQ was our go-to race resort before we upgraded to SSR.

As everyone else has said: nice and small, boat to DS, boat or walk to POR. Our preference has always been building 2, on the 'close' end of the pool side. Still close to the food court and buses, but also takes into account the pool and hot tub.

To us, the Garden View was worth it. If you have non-runners sleeping in, be aware that in some buildings, they will hear the fireworks for every corral.

Back to lurking...

Thanks! If I book POFQ it will be on a special thru a travel agent so I don’t think I can get a garden view. But I will see if I can do a building request. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter