• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

There was also an option to create or join a team, but I wasn’t really sure what that was for.

I got a call back today from runDisney. For my registrations that didn't go through yesterday due to errors, they are asking me to try again tomorrow during normal registration. If I get them, I'm done. If I don't, I'm supposed to call them back and they'll guarantee me the spots. :thumbsup2

There was also an option to create or join a team, but I wasn’t really sure what that was for.
Where, on the registration form? I never saw that, that sounds really odd to have as an option. Charity glitch popped up maybe, are those teams?

Last edited:
If anyone wonders, for those who don't have a proof of time to meet the cutoff, while they ask you to submit your guess, they are apparently not attempting to verify that guess. In other words, you put your estimated finishing time and that's it. They don't require proof of your guess.

In previous registrations, there was always a place for me to enter the race and date I was using for my proof of time.

Honestly, I get requiring proof of time. I should not be allowed in sub 5:30 corral just because I want the extra cushion. I have not proven it. I just don't like the honor system for corral placement in the latter corrals. That can lead to all sorts of congestion back there.

If anyone wonders, for those who don't have a proof of time to meet the cutoff, while they ask you to submit your guess, they are apparently not attempting to verify that guess. In other words, you put your estimated finishing time and that's it. They don't require proof of your guess.

In previous registrations, there was always a place for me to enter the race and date I was using for my proof of time.

Honestly, I get requiring proof of time. I should not be allowed in sub 5:30 corral just because I want the extra cushion. I have not proven it. I just don't like the honor system for corral placement in the latter corrals. That can lead to all sorts of congestion back there.

I'm fairly positive, that if on prior registrations you chose an estimated finish time that did not require POT, then they never even looked at your POT. So you could submit a 3:05 HM POT, and you'd be slotted just the same as anyone who chose the 3:00-3:15 HM estimated finish. My justification for this guess is to look at the distribution of runners per corral and the first corral not requiring POT was a giant increase compared to most other corrals. Both from people just not having a POT, and from runners who just chose the fastest possible non-POT estimate regardless of actual honest assessment of capabilities come race day.

Sorry if this has already been answered but I have a question regarding charity information for the 2019 events. Last year, the runDisney page listed many charity options that you could link to to find out fundraising requirements and additional details. This year, they've only listed the Celebrated Charity (LLS). Anyone know if there is a complete list of other charities participating this time? Thanks!

Sorry if this has already been answered but I have a question regarding charity information for the 2019 events. Last year, the runDisney page listed many charity options that you could link to to find out fundraising requirements and additional details. This year, they've only listed the Celebrated Charity (LLS). Anyone know if there is a complete list of other charities participating this time? Thanks!

Hmm ... they may post that information after general registration. But I'm guessing it'll be a lot of the same ones that are listed on the Wine & Dine page. If you have a favorite charity that's on the W&D list, go to their website and see if maybe they have info about Marathon Weekend on there.

Just keep in mind that the difference between a 2:45 POT, and a 2:45-3:00 estimated finish (assuming this is the first drop down choice for non-POT submission) is probably going to be about 2000 people (or less than 10% of the field based on 2018 weekend) and 5 min in starting time (if measuring front of Corral E (5:59am start) vs front of Corral F (6:04am start)). Again assuming rD doesn't change the corral system too much. So I get the desire to have that submittable POT, but know that it will likely have a very small effect on race day if you submit an estimated finish of 2:45-3:00 vs just making it under the cutoff. So keep that in mind when making decisions about reaching for another 10k race or two this Fall for this purpose.

If I'm understanding correctly, then I feel that's a good thing.

-Expected finish faster than 2:45 HM (requires POT). Submit POT with time in input field. Convert time using their calculator. Sort from fastest to slowest. Seed corrals.

This eliminates the possibility of an issue like I described a few days ago with a 1:30 HM POT, but estimated finish of 2:30 HM (60 min extra for characters and such). You would have been seeded by the 2:30 HM. Although, I'd venture to guess many of those people in a situation like this would have wanted to be in Corral A instead of Corral D/E. Shorter lines for characters and other examples. Not having the estimated finish for HM/M for those that submit POT eliminates this headache on their end. Although, per earlier conversation, it does appear they've added estimated finish to 5k/10k for Dopey runners.

This also eliminates people saying well hey my POT may say 2:30, but now I'm prepared to run a 2:10. But you corralled me in 2:30, I want a change to where I said I'd finish. So place me with the 2:10s.

I'd be surprised if they verified more than a few of the POT submissions. There were ~16546 POTs from the 2018 Marathon weekend (Dopey+Goofy+Marathon+HM). Although having the "estimated finish" was a nice safe guard to find outliers, I feel like this should make the process simpler for them.

-Expected finish slower than 2:45 HM (does not require POT). Put estimated finish time from three choices.

What you choose will be your corral. If you choose 2:45-3:00, then corral F. If you choose 3:00-3:15, then corral G. If you choose 3:15-3:30, then corral H. Again simple.
While this is all true, they have switched to monster sized corrals for those past 2:40. IMO, if you will not have a POT faster than 2:40, you should always select 2:45. If you select 2:50 and it puts you just one corral further back, you will be behind more than 5,000 more people than was necessary.

Those corrals are huge. HUGE. I never want to be in one of them again.

Just double checking I've got this right. Registration for 5k is tomorrow from 12 noon florida time, is that right?

Just double checking I've got this right. Registration for 5k is tomorrow from 12 noon florida time, is that right?
Yes.
Registration for the 2019 Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna opens on July 19, 2018 at noon ET/9 a.m. PT!

Good luck to everyone registering tomorrow! Be patient when entering you info, double-check your work and everything will fall in to place!

ETA: @UNCBear24 beat me a nose and as Maxwell Smart would say:
"Missed it by that much"
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, noon eastern.
Cool. I'm in Ireland so that's 5pm for me plan on sitting on the computer because the 5k is the only one I can do as we fly home that day so if it sells out fast I'll cry if I don't get in to it :sad:

For the charity question, they made some huge changes to this program.

Now all of them have some sort of room/ticket requirements like TAs have for the bibs; previously you didn't have to book a room or tickets with your charity of choice. And some might have different requirements (ex: LLS might have more leeway than a smaller charity since they are the BIG sponsors of Marathon weekend). This might be why they haven't updated the page yet- clarifying the wording or whatever?

While this is all true, they have switched to monster sized corrals for those past 2:40. IMO, if you will not have a POT faster than 2:40, you should always select 2:45. If you select 2:50 and it puts you just one corral further back, you will be behind more than 5,000 more people than was necessary.

Those corrals are huge. HUGE. I never want to be in one of them again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, on the current registration are there three choices for those who do not submit a POT for a HM in a drop-down choice?

-2:45-3:00
-3:00-3:15
-3:15-3:30

You only have three choices. If that's still the case, then I'd guess those are corrals F, G and H. Last year it was =2:45, 2:46-3:00, and 3:01-3:30 per the corral release, but I believe you could enter any estimated finish time last year (not a drop-down choice?).

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 8.38.13 PM.png

True the corrals F, G, and H are quite a bit larger and being one corral off (choosing 3:00-3:15 vs 2:45-3:00) is a matter of ~4000 people and about 15% of the field. Totally agree that being in the first corral of non-POT is a big difference than the 2nd non-POT corral.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter