I was talking with a client yesterday who asked me when my next trip was. He used to be a runner, so I mentioned that I was heading down in January for marathon weekend. Given the crazy looks I get when I explain Dopey, I usually just say I'm running the marathon, but when he asked how much rest I would be taking before the race, I explained the Dopey component of it. That's perhaps the most unique aspect of runDisney. I think runners understand the location, but the challenge weekends are a very different experience altogether.
This also happened to me at work, kind of. There’s a lady I work with who knows I’m a runner and she asked me what my next race was. I told her I was going to run my first marathon at WDW in January and she replied with “Oh I have a friend running Dopey that weekend!” So I was like “Yeah? Me too. I just don’t tell people that because it sounds crazy.” She agreed but I liked that she knew what I was talking about. Haha.

Scrolling through Strava this morning and I know there is a RunDisney group but is there one of all the Dis'ers for this years race?

Ugh, the weather is way more volatile this morning than it was yesterday. We’ve had storms all night, and there’s a long line of them to the west of us. The sky was an ominous shade of yellow/orange just before sunrise, but now it’s super dark.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

We have a guest Sundays are for Disney question this week (sorry, I don’t remember who asked it). What does everyone plan to carry during their race(s) and how do you plan to carry it? Chews, gels, snacks, water? Running belts? Arm bands?

I’ll add to this, since we're talking about intake, what’s your nuitrition strategy the morning of the race(s)?

I don’t plan on changing up from my typical set up on virtually all runs: Nathan running belt and an arm band for my phone. My running belt has two bottles that hold about 10 oz of water that I’ll have filled up. It has a pouch for my phone (if I want it handy for pics), Gatorade running chews (for the half and the full), and possibly a small external battery since I don’t know if my phone can hold a charge for even 4 batteries.

For nutrition, I’ll probably have a Clif bar or pop tart and a little bit of Powerade. I’d like to have a little caffeine, but I don’t think I’ve seen Red Bull or anything similar on WDW property before?

That’s it for me. Have a good week, gang.

I'll carry-
Clif shot gels in my pockets
Sometimes I'll have tissues.

Phone in armband

Small Camera in hand (but if I get tired I can put it in a pocket for awhile, I think I'll bring it for the half & full)

Nutrition before the races -
I'll have cereal, orange juice - what I typical eat every morning. The only difference instead of coffee I'll have some Coke. The early mornings my stomach gets upset and the fizz seems to help it. Oh and some Powerade.

SAFD: I pretty much have the same set-up no matter the distance, the only thing that changes is the number of Gus. I have the R-Gear High Five shorts from road runner sports which has 2 large zippered pockets. Into one zippered pocket goes the Gu, lip balm, and a cooling towel which is safety pinned to the waistband. Into the other zippered pocket goes phone, Saltstik caps and Tylenol (for local races add key fob safety-pinned to the pocket). Into the back pocket goes ID, credit card and cash.

Nutrition-wise, my go to breakfast for the marathon is a hard-boiled egg, croissant with jam, a banana and a cup of coffee.

SAFD: I have a Tube for the 5k and 10k for a place for my phone and ID. I use my Nathan hydration pack for halfs and will also use it for the full. It will be filled with Tailwind and I supplement with water on the course. I don't need anything extra for the half but for the full I'm planning to throw in some Honey Stinger chews and maybe some real food just in case. In addition to the fuel, I bring my phone, ID, cash, tissues, sunscreen (small tube from the travel section), and a Biofreeze roller.

We have a guest Sundays are for Disney question this week (sorry, I don’t remember who asked it). What does everyone plan to carry during their race(s) and how do you plan to carry it? Chews, gels, snacks, water? Running belts? Arm bands?

I’ll add to this, since we're talking about intake, what’s your nuitrition strategy the morning of the race(s)?
Today's question was my suggestion. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's answers and hopefully learning some tips and tricks!

I will be carrying my phone, nutrition and hydration. I prefer to carry my phone and nutrition in pockets. I have shorts, knickers and I just ordered a pair of medium weight tights (which I will test during next weekend's 10k) that have multiple large and zipper pockets. In this case, I would carry my hydration in my handheld with the plan of refilling it once at a park water fountain. I know Disney races have ample water stops, but I drink nuun, not Powerade, so I will need to bring my own.

Now, if the temps rival last year, I will want to wear fleece lined tights which do not have ample pockets. In that case, I am considering my hydration vest. It has plenty of pockets for my phone, nutrition, and even for removed layers. It also has two water bottles in front, eliminating the need for carrying my handheld. But, do I really want to wear a vest for 26.2 miles? Has anyone else worn one for the marathon? My thought is I will bring it and decide (based on weather) when the time comes.

For nutrition I will have coffee and oatmeal in my room while I get ready (you know, in the middle of the night!) I have race retreat but don't see myself having much more than a banana and a little water pre-race. I am still testing my fueling strategy for during the race. This morning I'm trying sport beans (one less thing to carry). I do prefer real food and will definitely be bringing some pretzel M&M's. For those of you who carry real food, how do you package it? Ziploc snack bags? They are so shallow...has anyone found a more rectangular option?

I run with a Roo Sport belt that has sport beans, chapstick, ID, insurance card, credit card, and for long runs usually a Stinger waffle.

Phone goes in the pocket along with my Airpods case (battery is dying after 2 years of heavy use so they don’t last as long as they should).

Pre race I’ll usually go with a Stinger waffle or Pop-Tart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter