Hi everyone! Jumping in late here. I've signed up for the Dopey challenge in January. Rightly or (probably) wrongly this will be my first Dopey challenge and actually my first marathon - my only previous Run Disney experience was in Paris this year where I completed the 36k challenge.

Up to 18 mile training runs at the moment and aiming to do a semi-Dopey dry run next weekend (3 mile Thursday, 5 mile Friday, 10 mile Saturday, 20 mile Sunday).

As this is my first Dopey challenge I'm not too sure on the timelines for when information is released. When should we expect to have our bib numbers/course maps/other info? I've also been trying to test my training nutrition but would like to do some runs consistently with the food/drink they give on course. Can anyone enlighten me as to what food and drink (apart from water) was given out on the marathon last year?

runDisney Paris, with the exception of a few glitches, put on a nice race this year. To give you fair warning, the field at Walt Disney World is about 20,000 people each race vs the 9,000 at Disneyland Paris. Hopefully you have been lurking on the the thread for a while and saw the discussions about wait times and throw away clothing from needing to be at the start so early (if not I'd strongly suggest going back a few weeks to find it). Two of the things I loved about Disneyland Paris were being able to walk to the corrals from the hotel and not needing to arrive there until 30 minutes before the start, neither of which are an option at Walt Disney World.

There are hotel and ticket requirements though but since I already had a DVC reservation and an AP, those requirements were waived. I purchased the Dopey bib online and waited a day for confirmation. I then submitted the Transfer Request to runDisney and within a day, my other registrations were cancelled and a refund was posted to my credit card about 4 days later. They don't refund the processing fees that you paid when you registered and there is a $45 Transfer Fee.
Transfer requests need to be submitted by Dec. 10.

I just checked and there is one Dopey bib left.
Thanks for the info. I already have a DVC reservation and AP as well. So considering I paid full price for Goofy, even with transfer fee and processing fees, it is cheaper now for me to do Dopey? Something doesn't seem right about that. What am I missing?

Thanks for the info. I already have a DVC reservation and AP as well. So considering I paid full price for Goofy, even with transfer fee and processing fees, it is cheaper now for me to do Dopey? Something doesn't seem right about that. What am I missing?

Nothing. TAs are either out a partial amount if they discount the bibs to sell them or have to eat the full amount if they aren’t sold by Dec. 10.

It’s up to them how they sell the bibs. There are others that are still selling at full price but will “comp” your first night of the two-night stay, etc.

Fun fact: Theres a new minor league baseball team starting in 2020 in Alabama called the Trash Pandas.
They may replace the Akron Rubber Ducks as my favorite minor league baseball team name.

This just made my "4th day with a nasty cold/bronchitis" a little bit better. I love this as much as Boaty McBoatFace.

I was skeptical too but it all worked out. Also, there aren't any additional processing fees on the $299 rate.

The only place bananas belong is in the trash.

#TrashFruit

So are the large black trash bags people wear before the start & then drop on the ground for people behind them to slip or trip over.

Based on @Keels answer; I think you are supposed to pick up the black trash bags and then throw the bananas into them?

I do have a bananas foster milk stout waiting for me at home, so I'll have to report back if it is #trashbeer or #goodbeer

Your expectations are too high for us.

giphy.gif

Thanks again for all the info. I emailed them. We will see if they get back to me before the bib is gone.
Looks like the Dopey bib is gone. They never got back to me. I guess I should have called. Oh well. If anyone sees another deal like that, let me know. :)

During all races I will carry powerade, ID, and cash. For the 10K and Goofy races, I will add fuel to that list. I always carry my own hydration because I never know when I'm going to need it.

I generally can't eat solid food that early in the morning, which limits my nutrition options.
My stomach sometimes does not want any food in it before 8:00am, so I've learned to tolerate applesauce on race mornings. While other things sound amazing or better than applesacue, I know applesauce works.

So I need to be prepared to rely entirely on things I bring with me just in case.
I think this is an underappreciated aspect of training. I once heard someone say "you don't need to bring hydration with you to runDisney events because they have plenty." Well, I'm glad I ignored that person because they ran out of water and powerade during the first hydration stop at the 2017 Dark Side Half. Fortunately the other stops were all fine, but there are moments when I only need to wet my throat.

That's all well and good, but after all that gu you want to chew something.
I told coach that I can eat plenty of solid food before and after the marathon. Don't get me wrong as I'l want some during the race too.

Also, clearly I am not taking in enough calories during my long runs. Wow!
I learned that a couple of weeks ago too. Glad I learned it now as opposed to during the marathon.

When discussing nuitrition with DopeyBadger a few weeks ago it quickly became apparent that the fueling strategy for a half was no where near what I would need for the full.
Same thing for me. I've decided to carry gels during the race because sometimes I don't want to eat as many gus/sport beans, et all as I'm supposed to, but I can get the gel down and my stomach doesn't protest.

While saving money would have helped - you never know if it would have happened so the risk is there
That's why I used a TA for the first Star Wars races at Disneyland. I had to buy a non needed park ticket on account of having an AP, but it was so worth it when I didn't have the registration stress of on sale date morning. And after it sold out in 26 minutes I was very happy.

I never eat Swedish Fish but those - at that point-in-time, at that distance in the race - were MANNA FROM HEAVEN!
Reminds of the pretzels just outside AK during this year's Dark Side Half. Or the MousePlanet cheer station at every Disneyland half.

Fun fact: Theres a new minor league baseball team starting in 2020 in Alabama called the Trash Pandas.
They may replace the Akron Rubber Ducks as my favorite minor league baseball team name.
Maybe it's my MLB bias, but Richmond Flying Squirrels are a great team name too.

SAFD: Still trying to figure out pre-race nutrition. Usually for a long training run, I’ll have a cup of coffee (w/ creamer) at least an hour before I head out. If I’m hungry, then I might have an Eggo waffle or toast. If not, then just a couple of sport beans & some water.

I’ve been carrying a Nathan handheld water bottle w/ a zip pouch. Inside the pouch is always a tube of chapstick, whatever fuel I currently have (sport beans/honey stinger chews/clif bloks), & my house key. Since the weather has finally cooled down, I’ve added a small ziploc w/ tissues.

I have accumulated enough capris and shorts (compression) that have side pockets, so my phone goes in one and sunglasses in the other if necessary.

Coincidentally, I received my Nathan hydration vest today. Can’t wait to try it out next weekend! After experiencing that super humid 16 miler, I realized that I was definitely going to need to have more water w/ me for the longer training runs. I really hope the vest doesn’t bug me. I bought a Nathan hydration belt back when in 2016 when I was training for my first half (W&D), and I hated it. A friend of mine recently got the same vest & loves it, so I hope I do too.

Georgia has the Savannah Bananas :banana: and the Macon Bacon in the Coastal Plain League.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter