@run.minnie.miles , you are SO right about the wear and tear comments! I have been doing a modified schedule trying to take a day off in-between runs to get my achilles back in order. On the plus side, I ran a 3 miler on Tuesday, 7 miles on Thursday, and then a 15 miler on Saturday without terrible issues, so I am feeling better about things (thank you ice and thank you compression socks!), however, on the negative side I am only at about 54 miles so far this month (about 20-25 below where I should be) and I am a bit worried that I've not put in enough miles over this past couple of weeks as I've had to miss a few runs to rest the achilles.

One nice thing about this weekend's run. I went out at a slow pace (so I thought) to keep the achilles happy. It still will sometimes feel "tight", but it doesn't "hurt" if that makes sense. It is much better than it was a few weeks ago. At any rate, I decided to make sure I ran 10, then I figured I could walk the last 4 as the Higdon plan called for a 14-miler. 10 went by and I felt pretty good, then 12 and I still felt OK, so I thought, OK, at least run a half. I ended up running all 14 and walking the last mile (mainly because I had to get back to my car, and when I stopped it was a mile away). Funny thing was, when I hit 13.1, I was over a minute and a half FASTER than my POT from my March HM. Go figure. Maybe this training stuff really does work! :)
So glad that you were able to get a good long run in this weekend- that's a confidence booster for sure!
I can't believe that this week is here- I remember looking at the 5-10-5-20 on the schedule and thinking there is absolutely NO way I will ever be able to do that!
I think you've been really smart to modify. I read one time that it is better to be a few miles undertrained and get to the start line than be just 1 mile overtrained and have a DNS due to injury.

SAFD: I never have any "must stop" characters in mind - I usually only stop if a character happens to come along at a time when I'd like to stop moving for a couple minutes, lol! Which I think explains why I've never stopped for any character pics in WWOS. In the 5K and 10K, I run with friends and will stop for whatever pics they want.

I've got a pace group question if anyone can help me. I have done several Disney races but I have never used a pace group. My question is that when the corals are posted is there anyway to find out what coral a certain pacer will be in or is it just seek and find on race morning? Thanks in advance for any information.

I've got a pace group question if anyone can help me. I have done several Disney races but I have never used a pace group. My question is that when the corals are posted is there anyway to find out what coral a certain pacer will be in or is it just seek and find on race morning? Thanks in advance for any information.
Yes there will be a list of pacers and what corrals they are in posted before the race.

This post

Galloway Pace Groups @ RunDisney Races: The Official Discussion Thread

Lists out the pace groups and corrals for last year's marathon weekend. I would suspect it would be similar this year.

SAFD:
I regret not stopping for Marie at last year's Princess 10K. She is my 5yo's favorite, but I could not decide if she would love or hate that I got a photo and she did not. The thought of her crying and my paranoia about being swept (it really was not an issue) kept me from doing it. I'm not sure if there is a character I would stop for this time around. My one race photo is Captain America on Veteran's/Armistice Day, and I do not think it could be topped.

Also, I'm over running at this point and am accepting that I may only run 5Ks between now and January. This lack of training may rev up the above mentioned paranoia of being swept and keep me from stopping for anything.

SAFD: I’m hoping that I’ll be able to stop for at least one pic in each park for the full. I’m super slow, though, and Saturday’s 18 miles in the humidity/rain was not fun. :crazy2: So now that reality is setting in, I’m worried about even finishing.
If Cogsworth or Oogie Boogie are out, then it’ll be really hard for me not to stop for them even if the line is long.

Disney Afternoon Yes! I was kidding to my brother they need the Gummi Bears out the other day. I was thinking many people wouldn't even know who they were & maybe the line wouldn't be a mile. Tale Spin would be way cool.

Aww, I loved the Gummi Bears back in the day! I’d definitely stop for them.

What are good stops for non-character pics for the wdw half marathon? I am a fan of stopping for atmospheric pics especially if a CM is around to take one and also like their usual lack of long lines. At Tink I got a Mickey's fun wheel, a castle, a carsland, etc...all not with characters.

I assume you can get a pic with the big castle after running through it?

What are good stops for non-character pics for the wdw half marathon? I am a fan of stopping for atmospheric pics especially if a CM is around to take one and also like their usual lack of long lines. At Tink I got a Mickey's fun wheel, a castle, a carsland, etc...all not with characters.

Some ideas for you...

Arch at entrance to Magic Kingdom (caution runners, speed bumps ahead)
Space Mountain lit up
Main Street
Castle from Main Street
Any of the rides/attractions/scenery in MK
In front of the castle
Spaceship Earth
Choir

Some ideas for you...

Arch at entrance to Magic Kingdom (caution runners, speed bumps ahead)
Space Mountain lit up
Main Street
Castle from Main Street
Any of the rides/attractions/scenery in MK
In front of the castle
Spaceship Earth
Choir
Train, and Main Street Native American Chief.

2015 I’m never running more than a 5k
*Finds out about ToT 10 miler that eventually got cancelled*
Started running long distances

I’m a character photo collector. Compared to waiting hours for rare characters at parties running for a few hours is a breeze! So basically I stop for every character unless it’s a duplicate or easy to meet in the parks. That being said if the line is less than 5 people I’ll wait! The one I didn’t stop for last year that I semi regretted was Oswald by Epcot. I pushed my luck stopping for Everest with the balloon ladies 20 minutes behind me and wanted to make sure I got my margarita in Mexico. This year I ran a half for time to get a better corral so I have more time

Three Caballeros would be a dream team to meet. Robin Hood as well. I’m missing a ton of villains as well.

My tip for stopping is to stretch while you wait. Look up runners yoga by Adrienne on YouTube. The lizard variation will knock your socks off. And compared to 2018 marathon weekend to 2016 wine and dine stopping had a beneficial effect

I'm a big fan of non-character race pics! Gotta do the castle - as you come down the ramp (and in recent years, they've had it so runners can go down either side), head off the course into the forecourt, where a line of PhotoPassers will be set up with a handler or two sorting people into lines. And then Spaceship Earth at the end - they alwyas have 2 PPs going there. I took one with the Sword in the Stone one year - that was fun! Random things backstage can be weird and fun, too.

Last year for the half they had the big Mickey Head hot air balloon out in the media as you approach the Magic Kingdom parking lot gates. it was pretty cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter