• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

I have been debating about signing up for the 2020 WDW marathon... My real motivations are to prove to myself that I can do it, and running through all four parks! 26.2 miles sounds scary though! Then again, so did 13.1 a couple of years ago. I am curious what made you guys take the leap and sign up for your first marathon?
First off trust your instincts!! It sounds like you already have the motivation so now it's about the training discipline and execution. For me, I've been going to Disney for a while and began running the Disney 1/2 in 2006. In 2010 I took the plunge. I had never run a marathon and age was not on my side so knew it wasn't going to get any easier. What motivated me to run a full marathon? Well, a trip/vacation to Disney and spectating the marathon on the Sunday after I had run the 1/2. For almost 4 years I told myself [well not every day] I want and I can do that. I may have told some other people besides myself. :chat: I made running a marathon a bucket list item and I ran my one and only marathon at Disney in 2010 at the ripe age of 52. One and done! Yes, training was difficult [different from a 1/2] and the 2010 race conditions were interesting to say the least. The good news is that it's a PR! :rolleyes1 I still run the 1/2 every year and still spectate the full. Good luck to you with whatever choice you make, but I get the sense we'll be seeing more of you around this thread!

I have been debating about signing up for the 2020 WDW marathon... My real motivations are to prove to myself that I can do it, and running through all four parks! 26.2 miles sounds scary though! Then again, so did 13.1 a couple of years ago. I am curious what made you guys take the leap and sign up for your first marathon?

Ran the 2012 WDW Half as my first race ever. Was completely unprepared and limped my way to a finish, but somewhere along the way I decided I liked it and needed to come back for the Marathon. Ran the 2013 WDW Marathon and have run Dopey the last 6 years. Not all of those races were wise decisions but I’ve finished them all and continue to look forward to more Dopeys in the future. I’m just making sure that I’m prepared enough to enjoy rather than endure them in the future.

if I was ever going to run ONE marathon, it would be in WDW.
Mr.PaDC here.
This.

I remember running the virtual 5k loop on the gym's treadmill, and hoping to one day see the lap counter go from zero to 1 and I'd keep running. Then my first 10-Miler, when I realized I'd run double-digit miles. Then a half didn't seem like THAT much longer. Been happy with the half distance. But we've been lurking on the MW threads for a few years now. And DIS friends kept telling us it is an experience well-beyond other rD weekends. We're between greyhounds right now, and knocking off a lot of projects. Running a marathon became one. Figured I'd done 10k/half challenges twice, and after the first in 2016, I felt like I could run a marathon. So, why not sign up for Goofy, right?

To quote Spike Lee, “It’s gotta be the shoes.”

Somehow I learned about the runDisney new balance shoes around 4-5 years ago. They looked awesome and I wanted a pair, but learned you could only get them at some expo at WDW. That’s how I learned about marathon weekend (I had no idea Disney hosted races prior to that).

So, I didn’t get the shoes, but concurrently I started running a bit more to lose weight. A few 5ks turned into some 7-milers and that turned into my first half in 2015. Like @camaker, each distance checked off made me want to see how much farther I could push myself.

Since a marathon seemed like the next logical step and since I figured I’d be one and done, I wanted to go big. I had that Disney marathon in the back of my mind, so I signed up to run it in 2017. It was cold and I had a bum knee, but I had the time of my life.

I love this question, and the responses so far. For me I hit a little bit of a weight loss plateau and was looking to start running and saw stuff for the Dark Side half online and thought it looked awesome, that led me to learning about RD. Me being someone who loves a challenge, I immediately was drawn in to wanting to do the Dopey, but I knew I needed to build up to it. So I planned out to do the 2018 Dark Side challenge as a start, the 2019 marathon do do my first marathon, and then 2020 for the Dopey. So my motivation to do a marathon was that I like a good challenge.

I am curious what made you guys take the leap and sign up for your first marathon?
Honesty, not an exciting or dramatic story at all, lol! I'd been finishing halfs and 5K/10K/half weekends comfortably for a while, and many of my friends had been running the WDW Marathon and enjoying the experience, so I figured it was worth trying. I did the training, but went in with the attitude of, "I hope to finish, but I'm not committed to it: if it sucks, I'll stop and be okay with that." At mile 25, I was so sick of being in a herd of humans, I could scream, but I was loving the physical experience, so more marathons followed!

The Disneyland Half Marathon was my first half and I was under-trained for it, so when I was done I swore I would never run another half again. 10k or less for me, thanks. And then a few years went by and I was like "but medals and what if I properly train for it and medals." So then two years later I did the Coast to Coast and ran three more Halfs that year. And then I found these boards and these crazy people and somehow someone convinced me that I could do Dopey, so I did this year! If Disneyland was my first Half Marathon, it was only fair to let WDW be my first Marathon. I regret nothing. Now I am looking at my next Marathon and if I am being honest, I have even looked at distances beyond that. I love being able to see what my body and my mind is capable of (spoiler: it's a lot more than you think).

The repeat/regulars/locals and the first timers who think this will be one and done thing... While a variation in theme can be pleasant for the first group, the second is likely to look for a Mickey or a recognizable character (or a princess, or a Star Wars character for those weekends) somewhere on the medal.
I think the recent tweaking of changing the medal every year but keeping in theme is an effort to bridge that gap. If it's a one and done, then you register at least having some idea of the theme and if you're back for more, then you at least know that the medal will look different although that can be a two edged sword. Also known as I'm still disappointed in the 2017 Rebel Challenge medal.

I felt the same way. Like many others here, I decided that if I ever run a marathon it will be at Walt Disney World.

As to how I started running, it was a 3 year journey. In 2008 and 2009, I visited Disneyland during half marathon weekend. The thought of a Sleeping Beauty Castle medal intrigued me, so I eventually talked to some runners and they were more than happy to share their experience and just how doable through hard work and training a 16 minute mile average is. In 2011, I registered for the Disneyland Half. I was physically prepared enough, but completely clueless about mental preparation. Consequently, I had a difficult race experience. The next day I stood in awe of runners with their marathon/Goofy medals because I was spent after 13.1 and could not even think about 1 mile that day. I thought I was one and done. Except in 2012, Wine & Dine Half fell during a good time of year so I knew that Coast to Coast was on the table. I decided I could tolerate training for 2 more races to get that medal. Except now having a better idea of how to mentally cope with a race, I actually had fun. I ran all 3 Star Wars Rebel Challenge races at Disneyland with the Kessel Run coming in 2017 as part of the Dark Side Challenge. The hiatus of Disneyland races got me to sign up for Avengers 2017 on a whim with just 3 weeks to train, and that resulted in going back for Dark Side again in 2018.

That sequence of events and more confidence and experience helped me realize that the marathon was not as impossible as I believed it to. For years, I believed I could run a marathon, but didn't want to invest the time to train for one especially when I hated the long runs. But before Dark Side 2018, I discovered I no longer hated the long runs.

Then with no more DL races happening, I figured if I was going to fly from CA to FL it was gonna have to be for the Full to make it worth it. Once I talked to DH about it and he was on board with me taking a solo trip, I knew it was time to tackle the full and check out WDW at the same time. It just seems like its time. And then I figured if I was flying out to FL and this was a one time thing, I should just go ahead and do Dopey while I'm there.
Similar thought process for me as well. Once I knew I wanted to run the marathon, I thought about what if I finish the marathon and want to come back again for Goofy/Dopey, but can't. Many had told me that Dopey training isn't much more running than marathon training, so I concluded that if I run the marathon once and don't like it, but did it as part of Goofy/Dopey, then I never have to do it again. Except I loved it.

So to those who have run this thing before, how long does it take to get from the finish to your hotel via the bus? I'll be staying at CBR. At the DL races it was just a short walk back to my hotel. I know this is completely different though so just trying to get an idea of how much time to budget after the race.
Depends on how close the hotel is to Epcot and how long you have to wait for a bus at Epcot. Sometimes I get on the bus and it leaves immediately, whereas other times I get on the bus and sit for 10-15 minutes before it leaves.

It definitely sounds scary, but if you're willing to put in the work, it's doable.
This is absolutely true. The mental component is key in successfully finishing the marathon. Find a training plan that works for you. And don't be afraid to learn different things from different runners

In training it was a bit daunting but the accomplishment is unlike anything else.
When I fully realized I was about to finish the marathon, I felt like I was flying. I will never hear "Let's Go Fly a Kite" from Mary Poppins the same way again. Even now it brings back those memories and even a tiny bit of that rush.

I'd laugh when people asked me when/if I was going to do a marathon.
Same here. Even months before signing up for my first marathon I laughed at that question.

First off trust your instincts!! It sounds like you already have the motivation so now it's about the training discipline and execution.
This too. I don't know how to fully articulate it, but when you're ready to run the marathon, you'll know. Your thoughts and feelings about the undertaking that will require change for the better.

I’m just making sure that I’m prepared enough to enjoy rather than endure them in the future.
Absolutely. Because of all the mistakes I made during my first half marathon, I was determined to properly prepare mentally for my first marathon. It made all the difference. I was confident I would finish, not out of cockiness, but out of knowing I had put the training in and had a plan ready for how to cope if and when the wall came. For me the wall did come, but I fought my way through it because of internet coaching from @OldSlowGoofyGuy and @DopeyBadger on how to endure it and just general encouragement from many others here in this community.

I was like "but medals and what if I properly train for it and medals.
Those runDisney medals are so enticing.

I love being able to see what my body and my mind is capable of (spoiler: it's a lot more than you think).
A great description of one of the greatest lessons I've learned from running. And in many ways, I think learning what the mind can endure is of more benefit to everyday life than the physical endurance.

2020 will be my first marathon.

I always said that If I ever ran a marathon, it would be WDW.

I debated and almost decided against it - too much work, too hard with little kids, etc - a lot of excuses.

But then I got pissed off about all my time being devoted to things other than myself. And I said screw it, I’m doing it for myself. And signed up a few weeks ago.

A couple things, 1. The unbelievable high I got at the finish of my first half marathon, and 2. It seemed like the next logical step to challenge myself.
I started running 3 years ago after being couch bound from a shoulder surgery; I really couldn’t do much else and I figured I would hate it but had to do something. I ran my first 5K on a Disney cruise and thought that was fun but I’ll never do anything longer. Well what’s this? Disney has race weekends? Maybe I can do the star wars 10k along with the 5....
That was fun, I’ll bet I can do a half, I’ve got months before wine and dine weekend, right? You can see where this is going I’m sure. When I finished that first challenge I can’t describe the high, I can just remember that the pain didn’t matter and I knew I would do that again but of course said ‘ya but I’ll never do a full’
Well after a couple more and some noticeable improvement I thought it may be time for a new challenge and I can say I was not disappointed at the finish line. It was hard and took me 5+ hours but I smiled the entire 26.2 miles. When I got home the first thing I did was put dopey on my calendar.

At first, I swore I’d never do a marathon. As I crossed the finish line of several half marathons, I couldn’t even fathom the idea of turning around and doing it all over again. Then I started saying, well if I do a marathon, it would be at Disney. I didn’t realize I wanted to do a marathon until I did the challenge princess weekend 2016. It was on the way back to Epcot during the half. I was running with my dad and all of a sudden said “oh crap! I think I want to do the marathon next year.” I never looked back from that point on. Crossing the finish line the following January was the proudest I’ve ever been of myself.

I agree with @aalvis. I love reading everyone's entry to the marathon. It's very motivational. 2020 is not the marathon year for me, but I have decided I will get there. This year is a year of goals for improving the quality of my running. I want to be prepared for marathon and/or dopey in the future so that I can enjoy it. Since Princess year I have been on a @DopeyBadger plan that has me so excited! I look forward to every run day. Running is now an intricate part of my life.

Hope everyone has a great time at MW weekend this year!

I am curious what made you guys take the leap and sign up for your first marathon?

Peer pressure and beer!! :drinking1:rotfl:

Seriously, I wanted to do something crazy and out of my comfort zone for my 40th birthday. I had never run more than 6 miles when I signed up for the 2016 WDW marathon. My friends had decided to do it and I didn't want to be left out, so with a little liquid courage, I signed up! My friends joke that they "created a monster" that day because I have not stopped running since and now I'm the one talking them into running races.

I am not really sure why, but it probably is because before you do it, it seems unfathomable and I wanted a challenge. At the same time, the Disney races are less intimidating than say doing the Chicago marathon, while also being known for having a great festive atmosphere. On a personal level, I have been inconsistent with working out and I knew that by planning a destination marathon and because I had already committed so much money to the race, hotel, and travel that I was obligated to continue to work out even when I didn't want to. I have done the races a few years now and I keep signing up because I look forward to the races and, again, because it keeps me having a bigger goal to shoot for most of the year.

I did 5Ks at Disneyland and Universal Studios in 1995 just to run through the parks. I loved running through the parks, and heard about the Disney World marathon and thought it would be fun, but I don't run, so it won't ever happen. Then about five years ago, I got a detached retina and am legally blind in one eye and the doctor said they didn't know why and it could possibly happen to the other eye at some point, so I started thinking of things I wanted to make sure I can do while I know I can still see and the Disney marathon was top of the list for me. I hadn't run in those 20 years since the 5Ks. I had a couple of supportive people, most asked why I didn't just do the half marathon. I told them because two parks isn't the dream and if I'm going to be stupid enough to train to run 13 miles, then I might as well keep training to run 26. It was worth it!

I haven’t ran a Marathon yet but I am signed up for one in September and for Dopey in 2020... I remember distinctly explaining at the beginning of 2017 that I would never run/race more than a 10k, I did not see the point and would just get hurt. By the time I ran my first race (10k) in June that year, that distance was a regular thing and I had learned about runDisney. I thought, if I am going to travel, it better be worth it... Hence the Two Course Challenge that same year. It turns out that I really like back to back races: I did the Ottawa Voyageur (5k+10k+Half) and RnR Remix (5k+Half) in 2018 because it makes the entire weekend an big event so I knew Dopey was next. Every time I finish a Half, I ask myself, “could I attempt a Full the next day?” and the answer is yes. I signed up for RnR Marathon (hence my first) in September because it is only 10$ more than the Half, I have the option of running the Half if something goes wrong and it should be a good learning experience for Dopey 2020.

Is it bad that I couldn't remember why I decided to run my first marathon? I had to go back thru my content on here before the WDW 2017 marathon. So in July 2016 I posted that DD29 decided it was something we needed to do. I guess I caved to peer (or daughter) pressure! And of course, once you join one of the Marathon Weekend threads you get nothing but peer pressure, lol! Encouragement, I meant encouragement! :)

Christine, i was going to say i hated the chest strap between it and my sports bra i had perpetual, ughly chafe under the girls. I have the garmin 935 watch now which has the wrist optical HRM. Prior to that watch i switched from a chest strap (rather quickly) to the Schosche optical you wear on your arm. I really liked it. It did not suffer from cadence lock as it was tight on your arm. I did have it paired to the new watch but honestly i just use the HRM as another data point, i don't train off it. I prefer to carry as little as possible so i just went with the watch.

I will say i did not know about cadence lock till reading this. It makes a lot of sense, as i have had some runs that were EA and clearly easy to me and my HR was through the rough. I knew it was the monitor i did not realize the watch was stuck on my cadence.

FYI here is a link the HRM.

https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Rhyt...ocphy=9010928&hvtargid=pla-349337170493&psc=1
Thanks for this info! I never knew this existed. I will definitely remember this if I decide to switch away from the chest strap. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter