• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

So to those who have run this thing before, how long does it take to get from the finish to your hotel via the bus? I'll be staying at CBR. At the DL races it was just a short walk back to my hotel. I know this is completely different though so just trying to get an idea of how much time to budget after the race

Plan for an hour. They aren't always running bus after bus after bus, and it can take awhile to load and get on the road, plus drive time.

It took me 49 years before I believed that I could learn to run (prompted by my year of turning 50). It took another 2 years before I finally believed that running a marathon might be possible. Turns out, it was the attitude that needed to change. I needed to be ready to want to do it. So no regrets for not doing it before. It just wasn't my time yet.

(Which sounds WAY more zen than I am in real life!)

I have been debating about signing up for the 2020 WDW marathon... My real motivations are to prove to myself that I can do it, and running through all four parks! 26.2 miles sounds scary though! Then again, so did 13.1 a couple of years ago. I am curious what made you guys take the leap and sign up for your first marathon?

I was ran for a while, but never further than a 5k. I thought those who ran further were crazy. My wife did the San Francisco full around 2009 and didn't understand. I had some personal issues arise a few years ago and suddenly finding myself going 5 miles and it felt good. Did that for a while and decided this was my chance to do a half marathon, thinking that would be the end of it. That was a local race in October as I approached that race I thought, "maybe I have one full marathon in me." After some searching I discovered DW which timing wise was perfect to build from an October half. My first marathon was hard, but I had fun and I felt great. Now I'm hooked. It has become my therapy.

You can see where this is going I’m sure.
runDisney could write a version of One Little Spark from the original Journey Into Imagination called One Little Step. Because it all cascades from there.

Crossing the finish line the following January was the proudest I’ve ever been of myself.
My little sister has a photo of her near the finish line of the 2019 Walt Disney World Marathon that she describes as "pure bliss." I added her race photos to my AP and she wanted to see that photo first. She wanted to see that photo more than she wanted to see her picture with Goofy in Wide World of Sports and she "blames" Goofy for her wanting to run a marathon.

I want to be prepared for marathon and/or dopey in the future so that I can enjoy it.
My first half marathon was extremely difficult. It nearly became my only race ever at any distance because I hurt so much. I hoped with reasonable expectation heading into the marathon that proper preparation before could make my first (possibly only at that time) marathon a much more enjoyable experience. And it was. The wall still came, I had moments where everything hurt and my brain temporarily tried to convince me that I wanted to quit, and I had to fight through those last 6 miles finding little victories along the way such as "I love that movie represented on the mile marker" or "there's Galaxy's Edge" to distract me. But it all worked.

It took another 2 years before I finally believed that running a marathon might be possible. Turns out, it was the attitude that needed to change. I needed to be ready to want to do it. So no regrets for not doing it before. It just wasn't my time yet.
Absolutely. As I look back at the many different factors that led to me successfully finishing the marathon, I think it all started with my personal readiness and desire to take on the marathon. That factor cascaded down into all other areas of preparation causing me to reexamine how I had prepared for races from the very beginning. As it turns out, I had been making the same "mistakes" from the very beginning. I repeated them in every single race. Because they never negatively impacted my ability to finish shorter distances, I didn't even know they were causing me any trouble. But the marathon training exposed my mistakes and gave me time to correct them before the race.

SAFD:
My first tattoo was Sleepy when I turned 18. My next tattoo was the “W” with the hat above it from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I still love them, and am trying to decide what my next tattoo will be. Something Disney related, or immature. It’s how I roll.
SAFD: one tattoo and not looking for more. I’m actually looking into getting the one I have removed. Dumb decisions with dumb friends.
Best of luck with that. We are $5k into the process for my husband. His free tattoo has turned really expensive (he used to let people practice on him when he was young and stupid)

Then it hit me... if I was ever going to run ONE marathon, it would be in WDW.

I always said that If I ever ran a marathon, it would be WDW.

These! I honestly laughed at the idea of running a full until I ran my first half at Disney this past January. Then I decided like these two people that I wanted to run at least one marathon and I only want to run it at WDW. Now my chance to do this won't be until (hopefully) 2022 and then we shall see about 2023. I'm running something(s) in 2023, maybe the full again, maybe the 5k and half, or maybe Dopey (my husband says no. But I have time to work on him ;)).

I have been debating about signing up for the 2020 WDW marathon... My real motivations are to prove to myself that I can do it, and running through all four parks! 26.2 miles sounds scary though! Then again, so did 13.1 a couple of years ago. I am curious what made you guys take the leap and sign up for your first marathon?

I started running (altogether) when I discovered the Run Disney Thread in DIS boards by accident. After doing several of the 3 races weekends (22.4)- I realized I might be able to do a full with proper training. It was really reading everyone's stories HERE about running Marathon weekend- riding Everest, crossing the finish line with a drink in hand that made me pull the trigger! So Dopey 2019 it was to celebrate turning 50! Loved the Marathon part so much- doing just the Marathon in 2020. I have NO desire to run a Marathon anywhere else- but can see doing this one several more times in the coming years.

Good afternoon, runDisney all-stars!

I hope you all survived The Great Disboards Update of 2019. The Disboards may be new, but the same old Sundays for Disney are here to stay. Let's roll...

I'm keeping it this simple this week. For this week's Sundays are for Disney, what are your favorite Disney songs, soundtrack, etc.?

Some of my favorites are:
1. I Just Can't Wait to be King (Lion King)
2. Dig a Little Deeper (Princess and the Frog)
3. Married Life (Up)
4. Touch the Sky (Brave)
5. Trashing the Camp (Tarzan)
6. Where You Are (Moana)

I also think the Tarzan and Hercules soundtracks are the most underrated Disney soundtracks.

Have a great week, everyone!

1. I See The Light (Tangled)
2. How Far I'll Go (Moana)
3. Friend Like Me (Aladdin)
4. Go the Distance (Hercules)
5. Why Should I Worry (Oliver & Company) - am I the only fan of Oliver & Company? I watched it all the time as a kid and I swear nobody else did!

I also enjoy the Tarzan soundtrack!

I also think Tangled has a great set of songs.

SAFD:

All of them. But since I need to narrow it a little...

1. Part of Your World-Little Mermaid-Always #1
2. Belle-Beauty and the Beast
3. Almost There-The Princess and the Frog
4. You'll Be In My Heart-Tarzan-Phil Collins version
5. I Won't Say (I'm In Love)-Hercules
6. Let It Go-Frozen-I will not participate in the backlash against this song or movie; they are both excellent
7. Why Should I Worry-Oliver and Company
8. Go the Distance-Hercules-Michael Bolton version
9. Can You Feel the Love Tonight-The Lion King-Any version but the movie
10. Gaston-Beauty and the Beast-My favorite crazy, funny villain anthem
11. Sugar Rush-Wreck-It Ralph-I'm in full support of a full K-pop/J-pop acid trip of an animated Disney film in the future
12. Beauty and the Beast- Beauty and the Beast-Celine and Peabo version

I think I'll stop there before I've listed the full catalog.

5. Why Should I Worry (Oliver & Company) - am I the only fan of Oliver & Company? I watched it all the time as a kid and I swear nobody else did!

The first movie I saw in the theater and still one of my favorites. Lost in the flood of classics released immediately afterward. Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King is a murderers row.

SAFD: Overall favorite soundtrack: Nightmare Before Christmas

Favorite Songs:
  1. This is Halloween (NBC)
  2. Be Our Guest (Beauty and the Beast)
  3. I Won’t Say (I’m in Love) (Hercules)
  4. Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride (Lilo & Stitch)
  5. We Know the Way (Moana)
Honorable Mentions:
  1. Kidnap the Sandy Claws (NBC)
  2. Les Poissons (Little Mermaid)
  3. Let I Go (Frozen)
  4. When Can I See You Again (Wreck It Ralph)

1. When You Wish Upon a Star (Pinocchio)
2. Yo Ho (Pirates of the Caribbean)
3. Grim Grimming Ghosts (Haunted Mansion)
4. Zero to Hero (Hercules)
5. I’ll Make a Man Out of You (Mulan)
6. Under the Sea (Little Mermaid)
7. Topsy Turvy (Hunchback)

My favorite soundtracks are Hercules, Hunchback, Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast and Newsies (Broadway version).

Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride (Lilo & Stitch)
When Can I See You Again (Wreck It Ralph)

Yes to both of these. They’re sentimental favorites of mine since I’ve set two Disney vacation video slideshows to them. My youngest daughter immediately recognizes “When Can I See You Again?” as the song from her first trip.

what are your favorite Disney songs, soundtrack, etc.?

My list is not short

1. Illuminations
2. Tomorrow's Child
3. Original Journey into Imagination
4. Grim Grinning Ghosts
5. Entirety of Mary Poppins
6. Under the Sea
7. Wishes
8. Un Poco Loco
9. Be Our Guest
10. Disney Afternoon themes
11. Golden Dream
12. The Bare Necessities
13. Yo Ho
14. How Far I'll Go
15. There is a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
16. Listen to the Land
17. Original Universe of Energy
18. Canada

Lots of Epcot. Epcot has amazing musical scores and themes.

How do you even pick? But some off the top of my head.
Santa Fe ( newsies movie version I think I may be in the minority that was bitterly disappointed with the broadway version).
Part of your world.
Belle.
Try everything and touch the sky for running.
It’s a small world.
Feed the birds
Endless night from lion king on broadway
I won’t say I’m in love

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter