• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

Totally feeling for those who had put off registering for the full! I was sorting out travel plans so only registered for the 10k when it had become un-sold out, but didn't make a decision on the 5k in time!! Hoping we see more bibs open up again!!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite time of year to visit WDW or when would you like to visit?

While I’ve seen some holiday decorations up for marathon weekend, I’d really love to go in late November/early December once to get the full holiday experience, especially the Magic Kingdom Christmas party.

Have a great week, everyone!

Interesting 🤔 DH is celiac and how WDW handles allergies in general and gluten in particular is one of the reasons he fell in love with it: He feels like he is in real vacation when there, even from his « limitations ». For QS, it is true that we stick to the large places. And Epcot WS is not very good for this because the restaurants are not Disney owned/operated. I am looking forward to bringing him to Satuli Canteen : He has never been to Pandora!
I find the same thing with WS, and it probably is the main reason we don’t eat there as much as we used to pre new food restrictions. Satuli is such a breeze! (Can’t have the fun desserts at Satuli though)

Springtime at Disney has been taking over as my favorite time of year. The main reasons being the weather and Flower and "Wine" festival. I still like fall and Christmas, but it's just so hot and crowded anymore.

Yes, I think you all are right. The plane on our way to Orlando was full of sick people. Maybe I caught the cold there.

My doctor recommended using a simple nasal saline spray when flying. Keeping the nasal membranes moist is supposed to be harder for the viruses to take hold since that is one of the entry points. Flying is very dehydrating.

SAFD:

With full acknowledgment that it is surface of the sun hot, I love the trips that I’ve done with my family in early (not Labor Day, some time after) September. It is a great period where kids everywhere have started school and most parents are hesitant to have them miss class for a couple days that early in the year.

I know that WDW is more than a kids park, but it does significantly cut down the traffic. Our recent trip, arguably affected by Dorian, our longest wait in line was ~50 minutes for Frozen Ever After (middle of the day, popular place to escape the sun, we were more than happy to wait in an air conditioned queue). FoP and Smuggler’s Run were both under 45 minutes at parts of the day when they should have been packed (about 9:30-10:30 AM, probably about the busiest times in the parks).

We also love MNSSHP during this period. The party is cheaper and the crowds are not overwhelming. I’ve only done the party the last three years, but I’m befuddled when I hear people lament the good ol’ days. I realize the first party and the ones closer to Halloween get packed, but there are still a good number of parties where the price and amount you can do is simply no contest when compared to a full day MK park ticket. We rode everything in the park (most, including big hitters like 7DMT, more than once), had dinner at BoG, saw the parade, watched the fireworks show from the PeopleMover (we kept walking on while the show was in progress), and left at 11. If we wanted to close the doors we could have easily watched the second parade and did the late Sanderson Sisters show as well.

I do understand the lamenting of the good ol’ days with Food and Wine even if I never experienced them. During our trip it was really too hot to enjoy eating outdoors and it really seems the popularity of the fest has driven mass production over quality on a lot of the items and booths. Also, there are such good QS options all around world showcase that the fest somewhat cuts down the ability to take advantage of those. Still, I don’t mind that the fest is in one of its slower periods as well during that time frame.

Anyway, outside of the crazy Holiday-kids still on winter break-during the week of New Year’s Marathon Weekends we had for a couple years Marathon Weekend has always been a pretty darn good time to be at Disney as well. No Epcot festival and colder weather, but that’s not always the worst thing in the world.

ETA: I would love to do an mid-November trip sometime to catch the tail end of Food and Wine (when it's not so hot) and go to the Christmas Party. With my job being in agriculture, it's impossible to plan this sort of trip ahead of time so it would have to be a last minute whirlwind trip.

Last edited:
SAFD: Another tough question. October, with the MK decorated up for fall and MNSSHP, probably wins by a nose. The Epcot Food & Wine Festival used to add to the appeal, but so many of its positives have been added to the Flower & Garden show, it’s lost a lot of its draw. Not to mention that the concert lineup is SO MUCH better for F&G. Late April/early May is a very, very close 2nd. We love the decorations, displays and concert offerings at the F&G show, but the lack of special draws at the other parks costs it the top spot.

SAFD: The best answer is that anytime is a good time to go to Disney! I’ve always really enjoyed Thanksgiving, though. Eating Thanksgiving lunch at the Garden Grill is fun. The least crowded I’ve ever seen it was in early December. When our kids were preschool age, that was a good time to take them out of school and go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter