Marathon Weekend 2020

Good morning, RunDisney all-stars!

Halloween is this week, which has me thinking about costumes. For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what costumes are you planning on wearing for Marathon Weekend? If you’re not planning on wearing a costume, what is a memorable or favorite costume you’ve seen during a past race?

My race outfits for the 10K, half and full will likely involve some combination of Mr. Incredible, Spider-Man and the Avengers. I have tech shirts of all three and ran the full as Mr. Incredible this year, which was a blast.

There’s also potential for a Goof Troop themed costume, but those details haven’t been ironed out yet.

Have a great week, everyone!

I am doing the 10k and Marathon (interesting combo) and I have a Spiderman ensemble as well as Mr. Incredible. I will look at the extended forecast before flying down on the Monday before and make a decision then. I do have a Spiderman Mickey Mouse ears hat that would look really good with the Spiderman kit...

I took it. The offer was for a water view room in the new Gran Destino tower, and after I explained that we planned the way we did to be near DS and his GF, she extended the offer for them as well, even though Disney wasn’t trying to move people from AoA. I figured it as a $550+ upgrade for the two rooms, and we weren’t likely to stay in the new tower otherwise, so I couldn’t turn it down. DH and I are driving, so we’re thinking of staying until Tuesday. We’ll probably move somewhere else after DS and his GF fly out on Monday. Last MW, we moved from CB to AoA when we decided to stay an extra day.
Wow, great choice! I would love to get that offer for our two rooms!

I am doing the 10k and Marathon (interesting combo) and I have a Spiderman ensemble as well as Mr. Incredible. I will look at the extended forecast before flying down on the Monday before and make a decision then. I do have a Spiderman Mickey Mouse ears hat that would look really good with the Spiderman kit...

Spider-Man. Respect the hyphen. 😉

My friend and I are going as Wilderness Explorers. He really likes the movie Up, so I figured this was the only way I could get him to dress up with me. My inlaws own a printing company, so I will have them help me make the shirts. Debating if I want to carry a flag for 13.1 miles...

I’m most likely doing a Minnie inspired outfit - red sequins sparkle skirt, black top. Goodr just released black and white polka dot sunglasses! And maybe polka dot or plain black compression sleeves. TBD on ears!

Spent last week in DC for work - and the family joined me for a weekend visit to our old stomping grounds. Really felt for the MCMers yesterday - those downpours were no joke! And the humidity! Congrats on running in such challenging conditions!

SAFD: I'll be recycling costumes for sure. :-) Possibly Jessie or Mary Poppins for the half and definitely minnie for the full. My minnie costume is super easy and comfortable for the full - sparkle skirt (with their amazing compression shorts), blank tank and sparkle athletic polka dot visor.

I've done the 10k and the full combo twice - it's honestly my favorite combo of runs for that week. And I love (!!) the 10k course.

For those looking to do some sort of carb loading prior to their race, I've compiled several research articles together explaining the different methodologies and their effects on performance or glycogen supercompensation. With 11 weeks to go until race day, it's a good time to start thinking about if you're going to do something like this and possibly try executing it prior to one of your last long runs just to see how you tolerate it.

Glycogen Supercompensation (AKA Carb Loading)

Summary of the Conclusion:
If you plan to race longer than 90 min, you'll likely benefit from a carb loading strategy. If you're male, you'll need at least 7 g/kg bw to see a noticeable increase. If you're female, you'll need at least 8 g/kg bw to see a noticeable increase (although based on some of the research I'd argue that male/female are probably the same value if tested head to head for a minimal threshold). For females, this likely means a significant increase in a one time caloric intake. You'll gain some weight (as will males), but the weight gain is offset by the performance gains. The Western Australian Carb Loading Method offers an easy to follow procedure with some major benefits over other methods.

-1 day protocol
-Can occur as many as 5 days prior to event
-Consume 10 g carb/kg bw
-No glycogen depletion workout necessary
-Use Maurten Drink Mix 320 to reduce the water burden of a liquid carb sourced strategy

If anyone needs help running some math, let me know.

My friend and I are going as Wilderness Explorers. He really likes the movie Up, so I figured this was the only way I could get him to dress up with me. My inlaws own a printing company, so I will have them help me make the shirts. Debating if I want to carry a flag for 13.1 miles...

How about a hat or visitor with a flag attached? Then at least it's hands free!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what costumes are you planning on wearing for Marathon Weekend?
Not sure yet if I'm going in costume. I have an idea that I absolutely love, but haven't figured out the logistics yet and would need help to do so since I'm useless in that area.

I really want to run as Captain America Sam Eagle for the 5K (since it will likely pass by The American Adventure. The Cap tech shirt is easy enough, but how to pull off a believable Sam Eagle hat?

I may run the 10K as Prince Phillip depending on the weather.

No current plans for the Half and Full as I tend to go more conservative there since comfort is paramount for the longer distances.

I once saw a guy dressed as Russell from Up at the 2012 Disneyland Half. We weren't even at mile 4 yet and his scout shirt was drenched and sticking to his body.

For those looking to do some sort of carb loading prior to their race, I've compiled several research articles together explaining the different methodologies and their effects on performance or glycogen supercompensation. With 11 weeks to go until race day, it's a good time to start thinking about if you're going to do something like this and possibly try executing it prior to one of your last long runs just to see how you tolerate it.

Glycogen Supercompensation (AKA Carb Loading)

Summary of the Conclusion:
If you plan to race longer than 90 min, you'll likely benefit from a carb loading strategy. If you're male, you'll need at least 7 g/kg bw to see a noticeable increase. If you're female, you'll need at least 8 g/kg bw to see a noticeable increase (although based on some of the research I'd argue that male/female are probably the same value if tested head to head for a minimal threshold). For females, this likely means a significant increase in a one time caloric intake. You'll gain some weight (as will males), but the weight gain is offset by the performance gains. The Western Australian Carb Loading Method offers an easy to follow procedure with some major benefits over other methods.

-1 day protocol
-Can occur as many as 5 days prior to event
-Consume 10 g carb/kg bw
-No glycogen depletion workout necessary
-Use Maurten Drink Mix 320 to reduce the water burden of a liquid carb sourced strategy

If anyone needs help running some math, let me know.
Can you write a post on: "What 10g carbs /kg BW looks like in cinnamon rolls"? :)

Can you write a post on: "What 10g carbs /kg BW looks like in cinnamon rolls"? :)

:scratchin

Hmmm.... something like this:

140 pound person is 63.5 kg.

10g carbs * 63.5kg body weight = 635 grams carbs

A single Disney Cinnamon roll has 72g carbs (source, source), but I don't know that with 100% accuracy.

So 635g carbs / 72 g carbs per roll = 8.8 Disney Cinnamon Rolls consumed.

When you put it that way, it doesn't even seem that hard...

1572295288162.png

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

gif.gif

👼

:scratchin

Hmmm.... something like this:

140 pound person is 63.5 kg.

10g carbs * 63.5kg body weight = 635 grams carbs

A single Disney Cinnamon roll has 72g carbs (source, source), but I don't know that with 100% accuracy.

So 635g carbs / 72 g carbs per roll = 8.8 Disney Cinnamon Rolls consumed.

When you put it that way, it doesn't even seem that hard...

View attachment 448345

View attachment 448347

View attachment 448348

View attachment 448346

👼
You do not disappoint with your scientific calculations, @DopeyBadger !

So, many of us were getting ready for a marathon on our previous WDW trips without knowing!? :rotfl2:

Let me see...

Screenshot_20191029-081715_Samsung Internet.jpg

Vs

Screenshot_20191029-081403_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's a tough choice.

Last edited:
You do not disappoint with your scientific calculations, @DopeyBadger !

So, many of us were getting ready for a marathon on our previous WDW trips without knowing!? :rotfl2:

Let me see...

View attachment 448356

Vs

View attachment 448357

It's a tough choice.
Seriously, I arrived at Wine n Dine 2017 with a nutritional carb loading plan spanning over four days but knowing I would have to find the food locally. All I could think for dinner on both evenings before the races was: Mickey Pretzels (mostly carbs and salt) and Dole Whip (all sugar). Nothing can beat that!

SAFD:334D512A-35F5-46C1-9375-6FEB96C79A2B.jpeg
It’s becoming a bit of a 5k tradition for me to run in my Eeyore onesie. This was during 2019 which was the third time I’ve worn it during the 5k. Thinking I might have to dust it off again for 2020. No matter what the weather is for the 5k it’s always surface of the sun hot after about 50 steps; but it’s a good time and it usually doesn’t take long to cool off afterward.

That’s my only attempt at a costume. I wish I had the crafting talent to make something for myself; but this wasn’t a bad way to spend $20. I don’t think I have the temperament to run in anything for a longer race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter