Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: I grew up in California and have actually been to Disneyland and California Adventure much more than I have been to WDW. Years ago I got to go to Disneyland Paris, but that is the only international park I have visited. Disneyland will always be my favorite, just so many memories. I remember the first time I went to WDW in 2009 and was just flabbergasted by the size and scope. So I totally get it when people say WDW is the best park; it is fantastic! But Walt Disney built Disneyland and I feel like his presence remains in that park. I need to go back it has been too long!

Right now, I am so irritated with Disney World that I will be taking down my Mickey pictures at the office tomorrow. We had a terrible customer experience recently. I am completely deflated with regards to our January trip. Sorry for venting.

I'm sorry - I hope the January trip restores your faith in all things Disney. :)

SAFD: Outside of WDW, I’ve only been to Disneyland Paris. We did both parks in 1 day while on a 2-week European vacation in 2012. It was a super crowded Saturday so it really wasn’t fun and often uncomfortable. We only did the Lights Motor Action show and rode Pirates as those lines ate up most of the day. I don’t think we were able to get any FastPasses. After watching some vlogs, I’d like to go back and actually stay on property and plan it out better.

I also need to get out to California someday...

Well now you have me tempted and mentally adjusting plans 😈

I hadn't seen this announcement yet. hmmmm what to do...

Uh-oh! Have I contributed to the delinquency of another runner?

Anyway, it turns out that Disney released some regular (i.e. not villains) MK after hours dates which includes the Monday night after the Princess races. This is a MUCH better idea since it a) won't require staying out until midnight and then getting up a couple of hours later to run a 10K and b) in the past, the villains after hours were reported to be more crowded than the regular ones. Assuming that Disney doesn't add anything else (HS after-hours, maybe?), I'm set. But thanks to everyone for their advice.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 65 days from the kickoff of Marathon Weekend. Congrats to everyone who participated in Wine and Dine this weekend.

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, I'd like to know have you ever visited another Disney Park? How did it compare to WDW? Are there Disney Parks you haven't visited that you'd like to see?

I've visited every park in the world more than once! For our 25th anniversary this past May, my husband and I did every single one of them in one epic trip around the world. It was amazing.

A few observations:

Paris: Best castle, best Haunted Mansion (Phantom Manor), weirdest shows, worst resorts
Tokyo: Best Fantasyland ride (Pooh's Hunny Hunt), best snacks, best people watching, most polite fellow guests, fanciest resorts. DisneySea is THE best themed park in the world. Bonus: they love Oswald!
Hong Kong: Cutest park, best Thunder Mountain (Grizzly Gulch), most fun SEA ride (Mystic Manor), best international cast members
Shanghai: Best overall rides (Pirates, Tron), easiest ticket and FP system (all app based), prettiest hotel (SHDL Hotel), worst trained cast members (well intentioned but clueless)
Anaheim: Best history, best walkability, best US cast members, best Fantasmic, worst lines, worst locals

SAFD: Nope, and nope! The main selling point of WDW to me is that it's close: 2 hours in the car and I'm there. I'd never be able to afford WDW visits if I didn't live where I do, and when I can afford to travel elsewhere, there are a gazillion other places I'd rather go than another Disney park.

SAFD: My dd and I are DL AP holders and try to go several times a month. Originally WDW was our most frequented park as we lived on the East Coast and could get there once a year. Since moving to the LA area we don't make it as often.

WDW - best US park for long trips - so many options of things to do.
DL - best for weekend/day trips. (My dd misses the race weekends here tremendously!)

We have also been to Disneyland Paris and Love that castle!! I am a huge maleficent fan so I loved being able to see in her in lair under the castle in dragon form. Hate the smoking there as I have asthma issue. I am hoping to be able to get DD to DLP for their half marathon now that she's old enough to run it (you have to be 18) so she can get her castle to chateau. Luckily she ran Star Wars, Princess and Tink halves the last year they had the DL runs so she does have both the blue and pink coast to coast medals. No matter what she says I don't ever really believe her when she says if she gets that (castle to chateau) and Dopey her collection would be complete, lol.

My goal is to eventually get to the other three parks at some point.

Can someone explain to me how to upgrade from the full to the goofy challenge. Now that I saw the medals at the wine and dine expo I have to have it lol
Goofy is sold out, but Dopey is still open and you'd get all 6 medals that way! I transferred from the half to Goofy and had to use the contact form to figure out to do it. The response was this:

We are pleased to share that you can now transfer your registration to a different race within the same event weekend on our website. Simply visit your runDisney Dashboard, click on "My Registrations," then select “Edit Registration” for the event you would like to update.

To proceed with your transfer, select “Registration Options” then “Switch Categories.” Choose an available race category on the pop-up window, keeping in mind that options are subject to availability. The system will provide you with an amount due, consisting of the price difference between your current and new registration and a $45 transfer fee. After you have updated the necessary fields, please select “Switch and Pay” to finalize your changes.

SAFD: I have been to Disneyland around 5 times since my first visit in 1974. Most of those in the last 5 years. Loved the races there, even if the courses were not always beautiful. Love both the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel. The Grand is spectacular with its craftsman style but the Disneyland hotel "feels" like Disneyland more to me. I love all of the classic rides in DL. Cars land and World of Color in DCA are amazing.

We have done Disneyland Paris once for the inaugural "Semi-Marathon" and will be back in 2020. We were unable to do much of the parks due to traveling with a big group. Planning at least two full days in the parks this time. Found the food to be disappointing in comparison to everything else we ate in Paris and Normandy.

WDW is my happy place to visit with my wife. We both work too hard and long in the real world. We get off the plane and onto Magical Express and forget about everything but fun until we leave. There are not many more things I would rather do than run around World Showcase with her at the end of a race. My heart is full and all is right in the world for a few magical minutes.

SAFD: I went to Disneyland Paris once when I lived in Belgium. It was a day trip and I don't remember a lot except the signs being in French. I can't even tell you what rides we rode. I know we ate at Planet Hollywood. Haha. I would love to go back though.
Disneyland will always and forever be my favorite park. WDW is just so big and these trips give me massive anxiety as a person with really awful time management skills.

P.S. Can someone who knows anyone tell them to open up Goofy registration again please? Thanks.

SAFD: I live about 10 minutes away from DL. January will be my 5th trip to WDW, so it is still relatively new to me compared to DL. Ultimately I would like to visit all of the parks, but I think Tokyo would be the next on the list. I think because it appears to be to so different from the American parks.

On a side note, has anyone tried a Complete Cookie as their pre-run breakfast?

Or, you could sign up for Dopey and be prepared for all eventualities. Run Dopey if you feel like it. Just run the Goofy races if you decide that's better, instead...
If I am paying for Dopey, I am running all the races. Even if I get fired for not having enough PTO to be there. Which is really one of the big things holding me back. And also running Marathons is stupid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter