Marathon Weekend 2020

I got home Monday, and haven't had the time to sit down and write a report from this years race, so here it goes:
I signed up for the Marathon and the 10k. It seemed like a good idea months ago, but as the race got closer, I regretted it, knowing that I would be getting up now several mornings in a row early because of the races and to get into RoTR. The good thing was we got up early on Thursday to ride RoTR, so I was tired enough Thursday night to get to bed earlier. The bad news was I was then so tired Friday, That I went to bed early Friday night and slept in Saturday, so I slept like crap Saturday night. Either way, doing the 10k was good, because it was like a dress rehearsal for the marathon: I got to know the lay out, what was served for food, coffee. I was glad to see that you could use your magic band to purchase snacks and coffee at the start, as I did forget my snack Friday. On Saturday night, I went to the food court to find something for breakfast on Sunday. The only thing that looked appealing (except for the price) was the runners food bag for $10. I got it, and I'm glad I did. I didn't wait around at the food court on Sunday morning, and was able to get on one of the Pop busses that made it to the start on time. Note to self: Always do this. I heard a guy talking in line for breakfast on Monday who said that he got on the Pop bus at 3:05, and didn't make it to Epcot until 5! There would have not been time to eat had that been me!

I was a little disappointed at the fact that they had us arrive 30 minutes earlier, but only sent us out about 7 minutes earlier than usual. I hope this problem is corrected in the future. I was really concerned about the heat, and thought that I wouldn't be able to perform well at all. I went to the Frozen ride the night before, and spoke to a cast member, who gave me a Fastpass for the ride so that I could ride it during the Marathon. What happened during the marathon though, I do not know how or why, but I did much better than expected. Even with stopping three times to use the bathroom, and one photo op, I completed the Marathon in 4:27:45! This ranked as the third fastest of my 5 Disney Marathons, and only 10 minutes slower than my best. I heard someone say or read somewhere right before the marathon to pour water on your head and body at the water stops. Almost every one, I dumped the water on my head and let it drizzle down my front or back. I don't know if this is what helped, but I made it and was very satisfied with my time.

Doing the courses every two or three years, it is tough to say what I liked or didn't like about each aspect of the course. I will say that I did not like WWoS, and I'm glad that we didn't run there.

I will say that I have been surprised at how I felt when I got done. I didn't seem as beat up as other marathons, and wonder if the flatness of the course has something to do about that. I also wonder about all the walking I did in the parks in the previous 5 days had anything to do with it. I will say that walking through the parks after probably helped to move out the lactic acid out of my legs. After the Marathon, I went back to the hotel to shower, then spent the rest of the day and evening at three different parks, and didn't get back to the hotel until 9 pm. At the end of the day, my Garmin said I had 75,000 steps and had gone 42 miles!!

Leaving on Monday was tough. My family and I had a wonderful week, not only did I run the 10k and Marathon, but we celebrated my daughter's 21st birthday in Disney. It had been 3 years since we had been in Disney and I knew leaving that in reality, it probably will be another two to three years until I will return. It is nice staying in the Disney bubble, away from reality for a week.

Upon returning, I learned that after being very lucky for the last 11 years in a row, I did not secure an entry for the Boston Marathon this year. I have received entries from the running clubs I belong to, but the BAA is giving out less and less each year, and this year I did not make the cut. I will resume Marathon training next week for a different April marathon this year. I need something to get me through the rest of this New England winter!

I got home Monday, and haven't had the time to sit down and write a report from this years race, so here it goes:
I signed up for the Marathon and the 10k. It seemed like a good idea months ago, but as the race got closer, I regretted it, knowing that I would be getting up now several mornings in a row early because of the races and to get into RoTR. The good thing was we got up early on Thursday to ride RoTR, so I was tired enough Thursday night to get to bed earlier. The bad news was I was then so tired Friday, That I went to bed early Friday night and slept in Saturday, so I slept like crap Saturday night. Either way, doing the 10k was good, because it was like a dress rehearsal for the marathon: I got to know the lay out, what was served for food, coffee. I was glad to see that you could use your magic band to purchase snacks and coffee at the start, as I did forget my snack Friday. On Saturday night, I went to the food court to find something for breakfast on Sunday. The only thing that looked appealing (except for the price) was the runners food bag for $10. I got it, and I'm glad I did. I didn't wait around at the food court on Sunday morning, and was able to get on one of the Pop busses that made it to the start on time. Note to self: Always do this. I heard a guy talking in line for breakfast on Monday who said that he got on the Pop bus at 3:05, and didn't make it to Epcot until 5! There would have not been time to eat had that been me!

I was a little disappointed at the fact that they had us arrive 30 minutes earlier, but only sent us out about 7 minutes earlier than usual. I hope this problem is corrected in the future. I was really concerned about the heat, and thought that I wouldn't be able to perform well at all. I went to the Frozen ride the night before, and spoke to a cast member, who gave me a Fastpass for the ride so that I could ride it during the Marathon. What happened during the marathon though, I do not know how or why, but I did much better than expected. Even with stopping three times to use the bathroom, and one photo op, I completed the Marathon in 4:27:45! This ranked as the third fastest of my 5 Disney Marathons, and only 10 minutes slower than my best. I heard someone say or read somewhere right before the marathon to pour water on your head and body at the water stops. Almost every one, I dumped the water on my head and let it drizzle down my front or back. I don't know if this is what helped, but I made it and was very satisfied with my time.

Doing the courses every two or three years, it is tough to say what I liked or didn't like about each aspect of the course. I will say that I did not like WWoS, and I'm glad that we didn't run there.

I will say that I have been surprised at how I felt when I got done. I didn't seem as beat up as other marathons, and wonder if the flatness of the course has something to do about that. I also wonder about all the walking I did in the parks in the previous 5 days had anything to do with it. I will say that walking through the parks after probably helped to move out the lactic acid out of my legs. After the Marathon, I went back to the hotel to shower, then spent the rest of the day and evening at three different parks, and didn't get back to the hotel until 9 pm. At the end of the day, my Garmin said I had 75,000 steps and had gone 42 miles!!

Leaving on Monday was tough. My family and I had a wonderful week, not only did I run the 10k and Marathon, but we celebrated my daughter's 21st birthday in Disney. It had been 3 years since we had been in Disney and I knew leaving that in reality, it probably will be another two to three years until I will return. It is nice staying in the Disney bubble, away from reality for a week.

Upon returning, I learned that after being very lucky for the last 11 years in a row, I did not secure an entry for the Boston Marathon this year. I have received entries from the running clubs I belong to, but the BAA is giving out less and less each year, and this year I did not make the cut. I will resume Marathon training next week for a different April marathon this year. I need something to get me through the rest of this New England winter!
Oh, for prosperity's sake the one photo I took with Mr. & Mrs. Incredible 35217.jpeg

Attachments

• 20200112_065549.jpg
    20200112_065549.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0

To go along with the list of characters, should we list the songs played? I want to make an inspirational playlist.

Here is what I can remember...

Start line:
Bare Necessities (new movie)
Pirates of the Caribbean (movie)
Brave-Touch the Sky

Along the Course:
Original One Little Spark
Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit
Illuminations
Stand Out- Goofy Movie
Orange Bird Song
On the Open Road- Goofy Movie
Dig a Little Deeper- Princess and the Frog
I Can go the Distance- Hercules
How Far I'll Go- Moana

I know there were a whole lot more, but I may have been delirious throughout the race. Please add what you can remember.

During the full I heard the "Whistle (While You Work It)" song more than once. I don't know if it's from anything or just a pop song, but I made note of having to hear it around Mile 17 after I'd heard it before because I find it to be a particularly annoying song. lol

First of all, congratulations to all the runners who showed up this weekend. “Less than ideal” doesn’t begin to describe MW 2020.

This will be long and wordy. I won't feel bad if you don’t want to read all of this, but please scroll down to the last paragraph.

Most of you know of my debilitating laundry incident last month and my complete lack of confidence on whether I was going to be a runner or spectator for my races - the 10K and the full.

The 10K went fairly well. I stuck to my heavy walking intervals and was obviously happy to run my one minutes. (I should share one of the photos the photographers captured. Pure joy on my face.) Headed straight into the medical area after the finish line and wrapped my knee with a bag of ice, but it wasn’t long before the adrenaline had worn off and the pain returned. By the HH meet up I wasn’t sure I was going to make it to the starting line Sunday. All of you that listened to me go on and on and on Friday - thank you.

Decided the best course of action was to wait and see how I felt Saturday morning before making my decision for Sunday. Woke up feeling no better or worse than I did before the 10K, so gave myself the thumbs up.

Fast forward to Sunday. I was with a couple of friends and one of them was running the full for the very first time. I typically catch the first bus Sunday morning, but she wanted to sleep as long as possible. (I will NEVER to do THAT again folks.) We caught a bus at Pop at 3:10 and all seemed well until it wasn’t. Our bus driver was not going to leave the far right lane and the car in front of us let multiple cars and buses in front of him/her. We finally got off the bus at 4:50. Told my friend to leave me and get to her corral because I still had my bag to deal with before hiking out to the corals.

Fast walked on my bum knee to the corrals and was directed to my corral entrance (F) just to be turned back by the poor volunteer who was just doing her job. I was counting on that time cushion if I was to have any chance of finishing, so I immediately burst into tears and yelled at her that I had been on the bus at 3:10. Some kind runner who had also been turned away did his best to calm me down and lead me to the next corral.

The volunteers at G let us enter the back of our original corral and we walked back up our empty corral. At this point the volunteer who wouldn’t let me into the front corral entrance was letting other runners enter where she had turned me away. I threw my arms up at her and she mouthed she was sorry.

I still feel bad for screaming at her. Not my best moment and, all in all, a horrible start to a race.

I never had a moment to slow down and gather my thoughts from the time I checked my bag to crossing the starting line. I decided to use the first mile to get myself together and was shocked when I saw the text that the balloon ladies had started a mere ten minutes after me.

465743I decided to stick with my 3:1 intervals and keep my overall pace around the required 16:00 minutes miles. I skipped the photo stops I had already done, but stopped for others because as far back as I was, everyone was terrified of being caught and the lines were almost non-existent. Things were going well until we went under the waterway by the Contemporary. Downhill slopes are what seem to irritate my knee the most right now and some knee pain started to set in. Stopped for multiple photos inside MK (zero lines) and texted my friend who wasn’t running the full that I had decided to see where my knee was at at the halfway point. Right before mile 12 she asked if she should go ahead and come to the finish line and I told her not yet. Things changed rapidly over the next half mile, however. The pain was getting worse and I was seeing talk of the course being cut at BB. When I saw the Parade Bus parked on the side of the road with the 13.1 timing mat up ahead, I made my decision. Told the medics on the side of the road by the bus I’d be right back, ran over the timing mat, made sure I got my text, and walked back to the bus. I texted my husband my decision and I think (know) he was relieved. Then I sat there for maybe fifteen minutes while some runners made the same decision to stop and, as the balloon ladies rounded the corner, the decision to stop was made for others whether they wanted to do so or not.

I have spent the last few days waffling between being proud of making the decision to stop before I did any more permanent damage to my knee and questioning whether I could have gone on. This is obviously typical runner “what-if” speak. In reality I know I made the right decision overriding the runner part of my brain to push through pain at all costs, but my ego is a bit bruised from my first DNF after four marathons and multiple other races.

Anyhow, back to the marathon, we drove to the finish line. They handed me a medal after my ride on the Parade Bus that I immediately stuffed in my pocket. This was to be my fifth marathon, so at least I have no doubt I can run the distance. I met up with @Keels, @jennamfeo, and @croach, drank beer, and celebrated all the finishers coming in.

I want to thank everybody here. I can not say that enough. Folks who I have only met in person a handful of times, and some who I have never met, were checking on me before, during, and after the marathon. I think that knowing you all were out there cheering and caring for me allowed me to make a difficult, but absolutely correct decision to stop. Next steps are to get a second opinion of what is going on with me knee so I can be ready be ready to return in 2022.

Would the animals on the way to and out of Animal Kingdom count for this list? The trainers/handlers were letting us take pictures with them.

I was bummed that I missed them this year - they were 'resting' when I came through and weren't out on the course. Last year, they had a goat and a Red-tailed Hawk and I was able to get some good pictures with them

It is crazy what people are asking and bidding for on the medals. Do they not know you can get all six the medals in a frame for $320 from Lasting Commemoratives?!

Super annoying how many eBay sellers are selling multiple of the pins. Really wish runDisney would crack down on this. Upside is, I have already noticed some price drops a week later. I don't think people are biting.

It is crazy what people are asking and bidding for on the medals. Do they not know you can get all six the medals in a frame for $320 from Lasting Commemoratives?!

Super annoying how many eBay sellers are selling multiple of the pins. Really wish runDisney would crack down on this. Upside is, I have already noticed some price drops a week later. I don't think people are biting.

What motivation does RunDisney have to crack down on this? They just want the merchandise sold. There were leftover shirts and pins in the airport Disney shop when I left. From there, I understand that they go to the cast store and/or the local outlet. Don't get me wrong, I find it aggravating, but as long as people are willing to pay stupid markups on eBay, there will be a market for this type of behavior.

It’s not different for unlimited edition stuff in the parks tho.

Started coming down with a cold yesterday and it's in full force today. I really do feel like at least 50% of the times I fly, I wind up with a cold. Every time, I swear the next time I'll douse myself with hand sanitizer etc. but every time I forget.

runDisney sent me a survey today, don't know if anybody else got one.

To go along with the list of characters, should we list the songs played? I want to make an inspirational playlist.

Here is what I can remember...

Start line:
Bare Necessities (new movie)
Pirates of the Caribbean (movie)
Brave-Touch the Sky

Along the Course:
Original One Little Spark
Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit
Illuminations
Stand Out- Goofy Movie
Orange Bird Song
On the Open Road- Goofy Movie
Dig a Little Deeper- Princess and the Frog
I Can go the Distance- Hercules
How Far I'll Go- Moana

I know there were a whole lot more, but I may have been delirious throughout the race. Please add what you can remember.

I heard these two in World Showcase:

Almost There - Princess & the Frog
On My Way - Brother Bear

I didn't hear this during the race but you should consider adding the Happily Ever After fireworks song to your list.

During the full I heard the "Whistle (While You Work It)" song more than once. I don't know if it's from anything or just a pop song, but I made note of having to hear it around Mile 17 after I'd heard it before because I find it to be a particularly annoying song. lol

Lol, yeah I heard it multiple times, super annoying.

I heard these two in World Showcase:

Almost There - Princess & the Frog
On My Way - Brother Bear

I didn't hear this during the race but you should consider adding the Happily Ever After fireworks song to your list.

Yes! Thank you. I thought of another

Into the Unknown- Frozen 2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter