Marathon Weekend 2021

SAFD:
Relive—WDW Marathon 2019. DH and I ran together, as Captain Marvel and Mr. Incredible. We stopped for lots of pictures, rode Everest, and had a great time.
Redo—Chicago Marathon 2017. I had had dental surgery 10 days before. I really enjoyed the course and experience, but was just not able to really run properly. I finished, and thought the experience was really cool, but it was not my best effort.

SAFD:

Relive - Disney Princess Half Marathon in 2018. This was such a milestone for me. It was my first Half Marathon ever and my first RunDisney race ever. This one was super special, as I convinced my DS to run it with me. We trained together throughout the fall and had a lot of ups and downs along the way. Would not trade it for anything. There is nothing like your first race through the Magic Kingdom. I was just awestruck. ... and the Snow White apple for a medal is Epic! I would love to do this one again..

Redo - I do not have enough races under my belt yet to know if I would redo any of them. No regrets so far. Hopefully no regrets in all the future races to come.

Relive - Princess 2020. I had a very mixed experience at that race, but being with my sister as she saw the castle during a race for the first time is something I could experience over and over again and never not be emotional about (she wasn't the only one crying).

Redo - Bronx 10 Mile 2018. All I needed to do was either drink less water before the race or pee before the race started. I had the potential to have a great race and it was all screwed up by my mental battle with having to stop to pee during a race for the first time.

SAFD: Oh, this one is easy!

Redo: 2018 Dopey - everything else stays the same, but I redo all 4 races with the winter running layers I now own. Because I bought them the day after that marathon.:rotfl:

Relive: Also 2018, the WDW Marathon - just an excellent run for me, from start to giant PR finish!

Redo: The 2011 Boston Marathon....not the race itself (although the hills), but the beforehand setting of expectations—I trained very well and thought I could set a PR (not realistic)—as well as my post-race reaction to “only” finishing in 4 hours, 14 sec—which re-qualified me, but I felt disappointed. Today I realize I should have given myself more credit for what I accomplished.

Revisit: Dopey 2018. I stuck to my plan, helped a guy who tagged my pace make it through 3 races, and went on to BQ at the Marathon. I finished a race series that I wouldn’t have thought I could do. I might even be okay with those 4 nasty early mornings,

SAFD

Redo: 2017 Detroit Marathon - I was barely healed from a shin injury and made the tough decision while at the expo to drop down to the half. In the end it was absolutely the right decision, but I feel like I have some unfinished business there, so I may run the full in 2021.

Relive: 2020 Disney - Running with the Goof Troop was so much fun despite the record heat. The whole weekend was great, meeting so many Dis'ers at all of the meetups and DATW.

Relive: 2018 WDW marathon. My first marathon, and everything went according to plan. The weather was great, and other than a nauseous tummy that appeared during mile 21, I felt great the whole way. I would've liked to ride Everest if my bff was willing though!

Redo: 2016 Princess Half Marathon. My first runDisney race, and while it was a lot of fun, I was solo as my bff was dehydrated and spent the whole night throwing up and couldn't run. If I did this race weekend again, I would have forced her to buy overpriced water battles at Wizarding World the day before and then she could have run it with me!!

Redo: 2011 Chicago Marathon. I wasn't properly trained, and I was in too much pain to really enjoy the city as I ran through it.

Relive: 2010 Disney Marathon Weekend. Disney on ice! Sure, if was cold, but those were also my first two races (half/full) of any kind, and the weather made it very memorable.

SAFD

Redo: 2018 Marathon. It was my first marathon and boy, was it a learning experience. 1) Do not run on heavily sloped roads no matter how many people it gets you past, instead find the flats 2) Feet swell more during races than during training, size up your shoes. 3) Do not stay Poly -lake view before a race, the electrical water pageant and ferries are LOUD 4) Do a mix of indoor and outdoor training in winter- I was not cold acclimated at all, having run indoors on a treadmill all winter 5) Don't stay up late 2 nights before the race to watch Disney cast members completely disassemble AKL's Christmas tree. 6) Proper fueling basics - electrolytes are your friend

Relive- 2019 Great Glencoe Challenge - a marathon distance hike/trail run in Scotland. The weather was perfect (bright, sunny, not too cold not too warm), the scenery was gorgeous (Path went from Glencoe to the base of Ben Nevis) and it just so happened that a Scottish woman and I were maintaining the same pace so we stuck with eachother for the entire length of the event having many wonderful conversations along the way.

SAFD:

Relive - 2019 New Years Double Double. This is a local to me race that offers a 5k and a Half on both New Years Eve and New Years Day, you can sign up for a single race or any combo with the theme being to end the year with a race and start the new year off running as well.

I ran the Dec 31st race and it was my first half marathon. Here is the Disney tie-in: I was actually training for the 2020 WDW half marathon, which was just 11days later. I ran the Disney half with a charity bib from Multiple Sclerosis Association of America (my dad has MS) so I was doing lots of fundraising and making it known that would be my first ever half marathon....so why go and run one a few days before?

Some of my friends thought I was crazy but it seemed to me like the stars aligned. I had planned my final long run, my longest distance yet-12 miles- for that same date, Dec 31st and then I happened to find out about this race, that takes place on the exact route I would be running. So I figured, if I’m already running 12 dang miles, why not 13.1?

It was a great decision, because I was able to achieve the time goal I wanted, sub-2:30, and that allowed me to really take everything in during my WDW half, stop for characters and not feel the internal pressure of proving myself since I already knew that I was capable. It relieved any fears bc I knew I had already finished 13.1 miles. In retrospect, I should have better appreciated the flat course and the cold weather, given the humidity in Florida a week later. And best of all, my parents were visiting, so my mom, husband and kids were able to come to a park along the route and see me run!

SAFD:

Redo: 2011 Disneyland Half. As my first race of any distance, I had no clue what to expect. In addition to my pre race decision to skip all photo ops due to a fear of not finishing, I dealt with my fears by starting out far too fast, nearly injuring myself, and almost destroying every future race I have ran since that day. Everything hurt for the remaining 12.5 miles or so, but I did cross that finish line.

Honorable Mention: 2019 Giant Race San Francisco. Actually, this is my PR at the half, but after a conservative training plan designed to keep me injury free and ready for Dopey training I went into the race with the sole objective of letting the race come to me and just finishing. I did exactly that and wound up shaving 4 minutes off my PR. However, I place it as a redo if only because I wonder how the race might have gone if I had been able to train properly after a summer illness forced me to start from ground zero in early July.

Relive: 2020 Walt Disney World Marathon. Like all of my races, this one was a solo race, but I chose it because of how strong I felt throughout that race in spite of how brutally hot and humid it was. Even in those conditions, I knew I had the strength to accomplish my goal. For a while after learning that I was behind the cut off point, I struggled with what meaning if any there was about me not formally getting to 26.2, but I fairly quickly made my peace with it because I realized that all the walking to the corrals and then to the start line from my corral far, far away guaranteed that I had absolutely put 26.2 miles in albeit in a different manner.

Honorable Mention: 2019 Walt Disney World Marathon. But only after mile 25. I was feeling every bit of the 21 miles when I exited Wide World of Sports, but knew that I I had come too far to just give up. So I fought through every single one of those remaining miles. I got far too excited, even for me, to see the spires of Galaxy's Edge rise in the distance and found every little thing I could to just distract my body from the heat, the tiredness, and all the soreness. Once I got into Epcot with nary a peep about the balloon ladies, I knew I was safe so long as I just kept moving. At this point I had also grown very tired of the taste of water and powerade. I continued to tolerate it only because I knew the alternative was much, much worse. And then I discovered the tropical fruit smoothie stand in Morocco. It possessed the virtue of tasting completely different from water and powerade and being icy cold. Shortly after this, "Let's Go Fly a Kite" came on over the PA system and I felt like I was either flying or quite possibly hallucinating, but either way knowing that I was about to finish the marathon. I suppose it's the very definition of the runners high. So I want to relive that, but not necessarily everything leading up to it. Although as I think about it, I'm not sure that I would have obtained that experience without everything leading up to it.

1hPrzBuJ16uc6Mja5LIwlw.jpg

It begins.....

I've had the garments for a couple weeks now and I've taken them out on a few runs of varying lengths--all comfortable so far. I liked the visor so much that I bought another one in a different color to wear on training runs so I don't get the purple one sweat-stained. Tonight I finally remembered to ask my housemate to help me mark up the shirt for painting Figment's name on it, where the wings will go, where to hem, etc. so I can start work on it. Need to get some paper so I can do rough draft outlines for the wings and tail before I start cutting fabric.

SAFD:

Redo: Chicago Marathon 2019. Three weeks before the marathon, I sprained my ankle. It was so bad that I was not able to run until the day of the marathon. I did not know how my ankle would hold up so I took it slower and managed to finish. I think of how I would have fared if I wasn't injured. This was the first time I seriously trained for anything so I feel like I need a do over. I'm registered for 2020 but I doubt it will happen so my redemption race may have to wait until 2021.

Relive: WDW Marathon 2018. I had so much fun even though I was solo. First time riding EE during the marathon and a margarita finish! Also, my first DATW with an amazing group of people.

3) Do not stay Poly -lake view before a race, the electrical water pageant and ferries are LOUD
YES!! I thought I lucked out with such a great view. Room would have been great any other trip but not when you are trying to get to bed early!

Relive W&D 10K 2017: aside from it being my least favorite medal it was my favorite costume, favorite course (as it ran through two parks + boardwalk though I could of done without the bottleneck between studios/boardwalk) and favorite all around weekend

Redo W&D 10K 2018: I just wasn’t there mentally as it was less then 48 hours between driving home from my grandmas funeral in South Florida and arriving at the expo (with a 5 hour work shift in between) we were so exhausted we decided to hold off on characters till in Epcot well Remy’ slime was insane and when we got to jiminy we debated waiting for him but then thought we’d rather see if mushu was in China or the Caballeros were in Mexico Nope though we did get a PR as a consolation for no meets so

The Disneyland Paris run in September has been postponed until 2021 (isn't that really canceled?).
http://run.disneylandparis.com/disneyland-paris-run-weekendWonder what that means for W&D and MW?

Hopefully nothing.

Having run the DLP courses in 2018 I know the corrals are in a tightly packed area, and the start line is very narrow as is a lot of the course. The 5k and 10k also have out and back sections, and were congested for most of the course (a lot like the MW 5k is). Based on what I saw then there is no real way to redo the corrals and start line to provide any type of extra space for people in its current location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter