Marathon Weekend 2022

71. The only time it feels acceptable at WDW to eat something handed to you by a complete stranger.

Back in the day when this was the WISH board, a whole group of people would organize a non-Disney sanctioned stop(s)--often outside HS. This included Twizzlers, pretzels, cut up oranges, cold washcloths, candy and more. It was a real joy to be there for this and give encouragement to people in the last miles of the marathon.

Sadly, DIsney ended our ability to do this in an unceremonious, rude, abrupt, acrimonious (any other adjectives I'm forgetting?) way. We were chased off property in multiple locations and yelled at and reported to security by Cast Members. I sorta/kinda get the whole "private property/liability" thing, but the race participants loved having us there to hand out a last minute treat (some were so happy they cried/danced/laughed/gave us lots of sweaty hugs) and give encouragement. And hello, every decent marathon has engaged spectators who are there to provide support.

72. The way that characters make a big deal out of medals. I've had Chip and Dale play with spinner medals, Minnie made her 10K medal kiss the Marathon medal in the last year before she began to host the marathon, Mickey counting all the medals, Donald getting really excited that he's on a medal, and Darth Vader telling me the Dark Side is looking forward to completing my training.

Back in the day when this was the WISH board, a whole group of people would organize a non-Disney sanctioned stop(s)--often outside HS. This included Twizzlers, pretzels, cut up oranges, cold washcloths, candy and more. It was a real joy to be there for this and give encouragement to people in the last miles of the marathon.

Sadly, DIsney ended our ability to do this in an unceremonious, rude, abrupt, acrimonious (any other adjectives I'm forgetting?) way. We were chased off property in multiple locations and yelled at and reported to security by Cast Members. I sorta/kinda get the whole "private property/liability" thing, but the race participants loved having us there to hand out a last minute treat (some were so happy they cried/danced/laughed/gave us lots of sweaty hugs) and give encouragement. And hello, every decent marathon has engaged spectators who are there to provide support.

I always looked forward to coming out of DHS and stopping to see you, Corrina, Deborah, and the rest of the gang. I found it to be a nice pick me up before heading down the path to Boardwalk and Epcot.

74. When spectators recognize your costume and give you character-specific cheers.
or *mis* recognize! I got called a University of Georgia fan more times than I could count when I wore my Elastigirl outfit. Frankly looking at their logo and comparing it to the Elastigirl logo, Georgia could sue Pixar pirate: Same colors and everything.

Not to mention the number of times I heard "Go Mrs. Hulk!" when i wore a She-Hulk t-shirt in my first marathon. That one I accepted more pleasantly.

I rode It's a Small World after my first marathon at Disney. I had more trouble getting into the boat then out of it! :rotfl2:

In 2011 you got free admission to one park the Monday after the marathon if you ran the full so we stayed and extended our vacation a day. I felt really good walking around until I had to leave American Adventure and that downward ramp. I started going down and quickly realized that if I needed to stop suddenly it was not going to be pretty. I was weaving around people picking up speed like an out of control marble.

We also made the mistake of telling the Biergarden people that we didn't care where we sat and we were right next to the stage. Carrying those trays down flights of stairs while not spilling was like an Olympic sport.

Hey I noticed that Proof of Time is due today. However, they are not requiring if your time is more than 4 hours. Should I change my estimated time to submit a proof of time? I am not sure if this is going to put me in some random far back corral

Hey I noticed that Proof of Time is due today. However, they are not requiring if your time is more than 4 hours. Should I change my estimated time to submit a proof of time? I am not sure if this is going to put me in some random far back corral

Proof of time isn’t due today, it’s due on October 12th. Today is the last day to run a qualifying race. Do you have a race time that supports a sub-4:00 finish time? If so, enter it. If not, you’re going to be better off with your over-4:00 pace estimate. RunDisney says you’ll be put in the last corral if you don’t submit a valid, sub-4:00 supporting time. Maybe they’ll do that, maybe not, but it’s probably not worth the risk to find out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter