Marathon Weekend 2022

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, tell us what motivates you to run.

I started running to get back into shape after my 2nd kid was born. I'd always hated the thought of running to go nowhere. After a few months of Mommy & Me workout groups, I started looking for more of a challenge. So signed up for my first 5k and realized I loved the thrill of crossing that finish line.

Running started helping me manage my anxiety and my self-esteem issues. Who cares what I look like or how much I weigh, when I've just PR'd my (insert here) time after working for it for 16 weeks?

Now, I run for the sake of getting better and better every time. More finish lines, more PR's. For the first time in forever, it's me vs me and not me vs the world. From that first 5k almost 4 years ago, I'm now signed up for my first-ever marathon in Fall 2021. And it makes me so darn proud, no matter what my finishing time will be.

SAFD: I run for a lot of reasons. Running let’s me clear my head and work out the stress of the day. It allows me to experience locations and events that I wouldn’t otherwise be a part of. Ultimately, though, I like food and running allows me more latitude in eating comfortably. A “runs for cookies” situation, if you will.

This was me at my older daughter’s graduation in 2012:
21CD9836-720F-4372-B858-34918AC3BDC4.jpeg

Shortly after that picture was taken, I decided enough was enough and decided to change things. Here’s a picture from my younger daughter’s graduation a few years later:
383EBBB3-2B54-43DA-B3CD-36141AE7FE54.jpeg

Running helped me get there and is key to me staying there without compromising other things that I enjoy. I find that moderation is not one of my strong suits and running gives me an outlet for that excess intensity.

Last edited:
@camaker that's impressive!

SAFD: Although I ran some in HS and college, it wasn't until after I had my second daughter that I did any regular running. After she was born, I wanted to do something for myself and so I signed up for a triathlon. I absolutely loved the training and the feeling of pride and accomplishment as I crossed the finish line, and I was hooked!
Several Ironman events and marathons later, I keep it up because it brings a balance to my life and helps me deal with stress and anxiety. I joke that running keeps my out of jail :rotfl2:

SAFD: Like many on here, took up running a few decades ago to get in shape and clear my mind. Worked at the time. As a reward, my first marathon was WDW 2006. Met my wife soon after, and five years later she, my daughter, and my namesake son (in utero) cheered me on during NYC 2011. Another child, work demands, and plaguing injuries have hampered my ability to run consistently in the decade since. I have been ramping up though, and did, on WDW property (Poly to GF and back), the Virtual 5K with my entire family last September (in masks!). My daughter has been bitten by the bug and hopes to do a proper race on site. I'm signed up for Virtual SW half and the full virtual Boston Marathon. Deciding between half or full for WDW 2022. I'm motivated to run largely to impart this fun and healthy habit to my kids.

EDIT: Oh and was able to put together seven uninterrupted miles yesterday, pain free!

SAFD: I started running to get back to a healthy weight, and keep running to keep that weight off and stay healthy as I get older. I also keep running so I can keep racing. I can't get enough of runDisney events (please come back soon!!), but I love most races, Disney or not. I try to do 4-6 marathons per year, and as many shorter races as I can fit in my schedule. I love the bling, the challenge, the occasional awards (if I get lucky), the travel, the excitement of the start/finish area, and meeting all sorts of amazing runners. Fast or slow, I respect anyone getting out there and challenging themselves. I was finally able to do a small live race last weekend, and it just reminded me how much I miss it. I can't wait for "normal" racing to return.

SAFD:
To try to keep in shape! I was never interested in running, but it was fun to support my wife while she trained and did a couple half marathons and then the Dopey in 2020. We have a Bowflex Max that I've used for a few years, but when my wife transferred and trained through the gov't as a 911 dispatcher (and thus shift work) it was difficult to hit the Bowflex when I preferred to - that and two kids all of a sudden at home full time. So last summer I decided to start walking early in the morning when it was most convenient, then jogging, then eventually running. I've gone as far as 21 miles on our treadmill that we bought in September and yesterday I did the virtual Hapalua in 1:59:44 (also on the treadmill as winter has not gone away for us fully yet). I'm currently signed up for the Calgary Marathon in September and was keeping an eye on Dopey 2022 but I'm not going to hold my breath for that one. We might go to Hawaii in December so I'll keep the Honolulu Marathon in mind. I'm 'only' in my late 30s, but heart and stroke runs in my family and my blood pressure has slowly been creeping up even though we eat quite healthy and try to keep moving as a family, but the running has really kept my BP in check.

Last edited:
Also, external pressure that makes it difficult to stop once I had started. But mostly the runDisney bling.

So... Do the disboard rundisney forums count as positive peer pressure?:thumbsup2

SAFD: Pretty much all the reasons mentioned by others already. I started running because I wanted to get back into shape, and have external goals to focus on outside a turbulent life. I kept running and racing because I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment from finishing, the excitement of traveling to new places for races, and the dedicated time to listen to an audiobook or podcast. Oh, and I like food and hate clothes shopping. Running helps me enjoy one and avoid the other! :)

SAFD: Like so many others here, I am motivated to just have some healthy habits. I was not in sports in school, so I’ve never been athletic or a team sport participant (but I love being a spectator lol). I got into running in 2015 with the appeal I can do a sport that’s not team oriented. I’ve found that running is just a great outlet both physically and mentally (it helps keep my craziness and crankiness at bay haha). I am also motivated to run as I discovered a great supportive community of people both here on the boards and other running friends. Oh, the bling too!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, tell us what motivates you to run.

My wife! (but probably not the way you're thinking 😁 )

One December many years ago now we had gone to WDW for our 10th anniv. and had a great time. Then the holidays came and we both caught bad colds. My throat was so sore the only thing that seemed to help was ice cream or milkshakes (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!). Needless to say, I gained weight - quick!

Plus, I really couldn't do much of anything so I just searched WDW videos on YouTube because of our awesome recent trip and wanting to relive the experience and plan our next visit! I ran across Lee Hoedl's (sp?) Disney marathon videos - WOW!!! Runners got to actually go into backstage areas!!! I didn't know that was even possible! I got super-excited. Then I saw the medals, too! 🤯

I wasn't even seriously considering running the marathon - at that time I played in a Senior (old man) baseball league and ran (jogged) a couple of miles regularly to stay in shape and every few years I would do the Arnold Pump-n-Run here...so I'm not too too out of shape but certainly not anything higher than a 10K was on my radar. I had run one half-marathon about ten years before this and that was it for long distance races for me. But I told my wife about how awesome the marathon seemed...

Her honest, immediate response was "you can't run a marathon". Ouch! I wasn't mad but - dang - the pure dismissive tone really hit hard. I know she wasn't saying it to be mean either, it was just a honest reaction in the moment. That was all I needed!!

I started with Jeff Galloway's plan and never looked back. I'd keep her posted - "I'm up to 4 miles", "6.6 miles - that's a quarter-marathon", "8 miles today", etc. I think she was skeptical until I ran a local half marathon in August of that year. After that she was all in. I ran the Detroit Marathon in October of that year, decided I could pull off the Goofy, and ended-up doing the "unofficial" Dopey that year.

We ended up doing WDW Marathon weekend 7 straight years plus 5 years at the Disneyland half marathon weekend (completely on her insistence - honest!). She was always "Running's your thing. I hate running" but she loved the "buzz" at the parks during those events. Then a couple of years later she got FOMO. She ended up doing several 5Ks and 10Ks during our trips to both WDW and DL.

tl;dr:
Spite. That's what motivates me to run.

SAFD: What motivates me to run now is to get away from my kids! :rotfl2:Running is my "me time" activity. I love being alone with my podcast/audiobook/music and enjoying the outdoors. When I first started running I had just moved to a new city, so it was a way to make friends and have a hobby. I've since decided that I much prefer to go it alone, but I don't think I would have stuck with it initially if I didn't have a group.

SAFD: I did not start running until my late 40s. I was always thin but I think that was mostly due to a bad coffee and smoking habit. I also work too much. One of our early Disney races was Star Wars Light Side. It sparked a renewal in my love for Star Wars, especially after a really fantastic night at Disneyland the Sunday after the race. After running Dopey for the second time, I expanded my goals into ultras. If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would be running 100 mile races in under 24 hours, I would have been a wee bit skeptical.

I have learned that I really enjoy moving myself through space and time under my own power. It is a fantastic way for me to decompress after working too long in a somewhat healthy way. It is also something that I can do with my wife and I have made a ton of friends.

SAFD: What motivates me to run now is to get away from my kids! :rotfl2:Running is my "me time" activity. I love being alone with my podcast/audiobook/music and enjoying the outdoors. When I first started running I had just moved to a new city, so it was a way to make friends and have a hobby. I've since decided that I much prefer to go it alone, but I don't think I would have stuck with it initially if I didn't have a group.
SAFD: Similar reasons here. I started last year to get back into shape and have a healthier outlet during the shutdown than :drinking1. Kept with it because it made me feel a lot better, and gives me some "me time" away from work and family and friends.

SAFD: most of you have already hit the main reasons I run... i.e. physical and mental benefits - regulate weight, stress relief, "my time," allows me to eat/drink whatever I want, gives me pride, etc.

I also run, though, because when you run, you have that hard-to-explain great feeling for the rest of the day (sort of like your healthy heart has a little more pep as it beats along happily).

Unlike many of you, however, I do not run for the travel/bling. In fact, the vast majority of the races I have run over the past 33 years or so of running have been local races (with the exception of a few marathons and a few half/full Ironman races... and now two Star Wars weekends). And my bling, well, much of it goes in the trash eventually. For the bigger races and rD bling, I do keep the medals, but they all end up at the bottom of a dresser drawer and seldom see the light of day.

Interestingly enough, though, many of the benefits we have been talking about here could be achieved via many other sports (swimming, cycling, tennis, soccer, basketball, etc.). So why running specifically? Well, for me, I think it is due to the ease of running. I can run anytime/anywhere, and it requires very limited gear. This was very beneficial when I used to travel a lot for work. In addition, running is the best way to get the lay of the land in a new city when you haven't been there before.

Interestingly enough, though, many of the benefits we have been talking about here could be achieved via many other sports (swimming, cycling, tennis, soccer, basketball, etc.). So why running specifically? Well, for me, I think it is due to the ease of running. I can run anytime/anywhere, and it requires very limited gear. This was very beneficial when I used to travel a lot for work. In addition, running is the best way to get the lay of the land in a new city when you haven't been there before.
That's an interesting point and I largely agree; I think there's also the fact that running is infinitely measurable (further, faster, longer) that gives a stronger sense of accomplishment, at least for me, than any other sport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter