Marathon Weekend 2022

They updated the Marathon Weekend portion of the website:
  • Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race on a USATF certified course reflecting results between January 1, 2019, and September 30, 2021, and must be one of the below listed distances.

SON-OF-A-!!!!! Okay... back to the drawing board. I'll have to find something in the heat of September then.

EDIT:
Well, here's a kicker. I had what might be an A corral time at Rival Run in 2019 (1:40 and change), so all good... Except the results for the Rival Run are not in the rD/Track Shack system. Great. I wonder if they'll take Athlinks.

Last edited:
Notice that they having awards for top 3 runners in each age/sex group. Since I did the 1/2 marathon for princess in 2020, I thought we had awards for the 5 top runners. Did the marathon weekend races in previous years had 3 or 5 top finishers awards?

It will be interesting to see what the character "meets" look like this year since the race info page says:
"Beloved Disney Character sightings and entertainment throughout the race" (emphasis mine)

Notice that they having awards for top 3 runners in each age/sex group. Since I did the 1/2 marathon for princess in 2020, I thought we had awards for the 5 top runners. Did the marathon weekend races in previous years had 3 or 5 top finishers awards?

Good question. I thought they changed to 3 for the other weekends before they went away, but I'm not sure. Oddly, there is nothing about awards in the current W&D information.

SON-OF-A-!!!!! Okay... back to the drawing board. I'll have to find something in the heat of September then.

EDIT:
Well, here's a kicker. I had what might be an A corral time at Rival Run in 2019 (1:40 and change), so all good... Except the results for the Rival Run are not in the rD/Track Shack system. Great. I wonder if they'll take Athlinks.

https://www.trackshackresults.com/disneysports/results/swds/swrr19/index.php

It used to be Top 5 age group for HM and M runners, and it was Top 3 age group for the 10k. It does appear everything is now Top 3 OVERALL though. It does not appear that there are age group awards anymore.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 5.24.08 PM.png

Okay, how did you know to split the 'swds' and 'swrr'?? I tried just about everything but that. 😵

I just googled "Star Wars Rival Run 2019 results" and it was the first choice. So still on the web, but not on runDisney's active site it would appear.

Wow. I mean, why not. How much money are they going to save? Seems petty.

No clue, but a minor amount of money and headaches with mailing out awards. It's a bummer because I was planning on going for a double AG award during Princess. I've got a near zero chance for a Top 3 half marathon. Based on the past four years I've got an outside chance at Top 3 for the 10k, but it'll be moreso dependent on who else shows up.

It will be interesting to see what the character "meets" look like this year since the race info page says:
"Beloved Disney Character sightings and entertainment throughout the race" (emphasis mine)
Would guess they’re playing it safe since meets aren’t happening in the parks at all right now. Once those return, I would guess they’ll also be available for the marathon weekend?

My guess, based on what I saw at DLP in 2018, is that characters will be up on a platform of some type. If they are right along the course, and have photopass photographers with the characters, the photo would be of the character behind the runner. DLP did that with the Evil Queen during the half marathon. The 2019 MW 10k did have a character sighting: Mary Poppins was on a portable stage and visible (sort of) to the runners on then road from where she was on the overpass and talking with them.

Boy, they threw those designs together fast. The Wine and Dine art is much more intricate.

Boy, they threw those designs together fast. The Wine and Dine art is much more intricate.
Is that because it’s mostly the same as last year’s (since it’s the same characters at different distances)? I admittedly haven’t compared this years wd designs with last years, so I’m just speculating.

I just googled "Star Wars Rival Run 2019 results" and it was the first choice. So still on the web, but not on runDisney's active site it would appear.

🤦‍♂️ (Well, sometimes duck duck go just doesn’t cut it I guess.)

And yeah, losing the age group awards is a major blow. Less and less and less.

Looking at the designs, I kind of hope they get a little more intricate as they have a little more time to work on them. They all have some “earidescent” colors on them though, so they would appear to be more than just mock ups since that would tie into the 50th Anniversary celebration. The other hope is that it pops a little more on the finished designs and is actually iridescent and not the blended solid color approximation in the current images.

As for the 10k, it’s a bummer to me because I remember when the race was added along with the Dopey Challenge in 2014 when the Weekend took its current form. It was such a huge deal that it was Minnie getting her own race and was marketed heavily as such. Personally, I thought it was much more progressive having Minnie with her own race vs. retconning her and Daisy into events that have existed for 20+ years without them. I understand the possible bad optics of having the shorter race being hosted by the female character, but I thought the Weekend had a much more natural feel when it was the Fab 5 with Dopey as a coincidental, conveniently named outlier. It’s nothing against Oswald and it’s not nostalgia for the bygone era of 2014 :tongue:; the whole transition just feels unnecessary, overthought and clumsy imo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter