Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: I am hoping that if i write these goals down it will force me to try and follow them. This is important because my goals will be very different for me than usual. I tend to run races all out. I always have time goals even if it is a B or C race or a training race. I tend to finish the race like i gave it all i could on that day. There can be a big reward for that (BQ time in Chicago 2018) but this time i am ditching the time goal. I have said it before but it never happens.

Goals for the Marathon:
1. Enjoy the race and not feel like death at the end. I really want to have fun. I am looking forward to Marathon weekend, but honestly right now i am not really into the training. I know if i have a time goal that means sticking to a tougher training plan. I am mentally not ready for that. I need to be able to not do as much and be ok with that.
2. Survive training with no injuries so i can enjoy the race.
3. Maybe try and meet up with @camaker to run the marathon together for some of it. I tend to run by myself which makes me push hard.

Goals for the 10k:
1. I will have a time goal. While it is not a PB i am looking to go between 50 and 52 minutes.
2. No injuries
3. Have fun.

Goals for the weekend:
1. Go the HH meet up on Friday (sometimes tough because i am working)
2. i am still undecided on DATW. Right now i am not planning to take the day off from work so that makes it tough. However if i do take the day off then i will want to at least enjoy one adult beverage with the DATW group.

SAFD: I am hoping that if i write these goals down it will force me to try and follow them. This is important because my goals will be very different for me than usual. I tend to run races all out. I always have time goals even if it is a B or C race or a training race. I tend to finish the race like i gave it all i could on that day. There can be a big reward for that (BQ time in Chicago 2018) but this time i am ditching the time goal. I have said it before but it never happens.

Goals for the Marathon:
1. Enjoy the race and not feel like death at the end. I really want to have fun. I am looking forward to Marathon weekend, but honestly right now i am not really into the training. I know if i have a time goal that means sticking to a tougher training plan. I am mentally not ready for that. I need to be able to not do as much and be ok with that.
2. Survive training with no injuries so i can enjoy the race.
3. Maybe try and meet up with @camaker to run the marathon together for some of it. I tend to run by myself which makes me push hard.

Goals for the 10k:
1. I will have a time goal. While it is not a PB i am looking to go between 50 and 52 minutes.
2. No injuries
3. Have fun.

Goals for the weekend:
1. Go the HH meet up on Friday (sometimes tough because i am working)
2. i am still undecided on DATW. Right now i am not planning to take the day off from work so that makes it tough. However if i do take the day off then i will want to at least enjoy one adult beverage with the DATW group.

That sounds great! If there’s one thing I can do well, it’s slow a running partner down! :rotfl2:

In all seriousness, that does sound like fun!

SAFD

Running Goofy

Goals:
1. Have fun and savor the 2 races. The Disney ones are always the carrot that help keep me motivated the rest of the year.

2. Not quite running, but race weekend related. Since registration was after the 7 month DVC window, I'm hoping to piece together 5 nights at my home resort. So far 3 down, 2 to go...

SAFD:
  • Make it through my @DopeyBadger training plan successfully and healthy.
  • Cross the finish line for the 5k with my DD happy and healthy.
  • Cross the finish line for the 10k happy and healthy.
  • Cross the finish line of the Half with my DS happy and healthy.
  • Cross the finish line of the Marathon upright and healthy.
Additional goals I will strive for:
  • Keep my pacing under control for all 4 races. No going out too fast and running out of juice.
  • Try not to "Bonk" during the marathon.
  • Figure out and try some of these finish line activities I keep hearing about but never knew were there!
  • Meet-up with some fellow Dis-ers/Liners
  • Actually stop at the front of the castle for the picture. I always have run past it thinking it will negatively impact my time.
  • Maybe take a picture or two with Characters (if they are out). I have never stopped for one during a race.
  • Live in the moment and take it all in during MW.

It's really interesting to me to see how many of us realize that we are letting the fun stuff pass us by in order to get a certain time... and our goals are very similar in that we want to slow down to do those things we tell ourselves we can't do because it will "negatively" impact our times. We all know it will be a challenge to change our mindsets. I keep trying to tell myself "what does a faster time really mean? Nobody really cares how fast I run this race and it's not going to change their opinion of me."

SAFD

Running Goofy

Goals:
1. Have fun and savor the 2 races. The Disney ones are always the carrot that help keep me motivated the rest of the year.

2. Not quite running, but race weekend related. Since registration was after the 7 month DVC window, I'm hoping to piece together 5 nights at my home resort. So far 3 down, 2 to go...
I booked my home resort at the 11 month window “just in case” but I wish I had thought on it again at the 7 month! I’m hoping (and stalking) for a monorail resort for ease of transportation for spectators, if they’re allowed at that point. Fingers crossed for both of us!

SAFD:
Goals for the weekend

1. Finish all my races with a smile because I had fun, stopped for pics, and didn't feel like dying at any point during the course.
2. To accomplish 1, make sure I stick to my training plan drawn up by the amazing @DopeyBadger.
3. Enjoy every moment of my solo vacation- read some books, sit by the pool, take in all the little details in the parks
4. Find everyone at one of the meetups!
5. Try not to be too sad that I'm not running Dopey this year (Team Everything but the Marathon, lol)

Last year, I was hoping to compete for an age group award in either the 10K or half - especially with the reduced field. It doesn’t look like they are doing age group this year so assuming that does not change, my goals will be simple: in person races happen and me and my family are all healthy enough to run and finish all our races. My wife is registered for her first marathon. My daughter and I are both doing our second Dopey.
I tried to compete for an age award in a race, but they would not let me in the 80+ category…
SAFD:

I am running "just" the marathon.

1. Join some version of the Goof Troop
2. Have fun - I'm counting on #1 to help with this! :)
No such thing as “just a marathon”. Just saying…

RE costumes in park post race...
it definitely depends on the costume due to Disney's costume rules that said I remember in 2018 the Sunday of the W&D half the shimmering sips booth was doing BOGO mimosa's with a medal or bib (from any weekend race) and when we were in the park to get our drinks we saw plenty of people in tutus and running attire in the Wonders of Life building

It’s an inside joke about the atmosphere around Marathon Weekend.
I get it. Just trying to be supportive.
In fact, on the monorail after the race my last MW, I congratulated a lady who said it was her first marathon. She was appreciative of the kudos and said that she was from Denver, and the reactions there would be "Just one?" or "What took you so long to run one?"

Seeking experienced opinions about my MW stay. For reference, I'm registered for Goofy, and will more than likely take 6-7hrs to finish the marathon, depending on photo opportunities (if there are any), weather, etc. Currently I/we are NOT planning on renting a car because it's just too expensive.....all of the discount codes I've found are only good through 2021. If prices come down, before Christmas, a car rental is definitely on the table, especially if DH accompanies me.

(Question 1)
DH is adamant about only taking 2 weekdays off from work, regardless if I go solo or if he makes the trip with me.
That means I/we can fly down:
Option A-Thursday evening, and back on Monday morning
Option B-Thursday morning and back on Sunday night (4pm or later flight)
Option C-Wednesday evening and back on Sunday night (4pm or later flight)

Currently it makes sense to fly out of our local airport, which means we would more than likely have a short layover in either Detroit or Chicago O'Hare. I know winter weather is very much something that could throw a wrench into flights above and beyond the current staffing issues (that they will hopefully have addressed by then) and that I MUST pick up my bib from the expo no later than Friday.

(Question 2)
Additionally, assuming I/we fly back on Sunday night (this, unfortunately, is highly likely) would you book your resort for a MONDAY checkout so that you don't have to deal with dropping your luggage at bell services and showering at the pool, and then still have a quiet place to "hang out" until you needed to leave for the airport? Or are those things less of a nuisance than I'm imagining them to be in my head, and I should save that money for the expo?

(Question 3)
I'm also keeping an eye on DVC rental availability. Yesterday there was BRIEFLY some AKL, OKW, and SS availability. It's within about $150 for me to stay at one of those if I can find someone on the boards renting their points out versus my current reservation at ASMo. We have stayed at AKL twice, and in an OKW 2 bedroom (covid-closure upgrade from POR last August) but I'm wondering if any of those would be "more convenient" in any way from a race standpoint?

Seeking experienced opinions about my MW stay. For reference, I'm registered for Goofy, and will more than likely take 6-7hrs to finish the marathon, depending on photo opportunities (if there are any), weather, etc. Currently I/we are NOT planning on renting a car because it's just too expensive.....all of the discount codes I've found are only good through 2021. If prices come down, before Christmas, a car rental is definitely on the table, especially if DH accompanies me.

(Question 1)
DH is adamant about only taking 2 weekdays off from work, regardless if I go solo or if he makes the trip with me.

Currently it makes sense to fly out of our local airport, which means we would more than likely have a short layover in either Detroit or Chicago O'Hare. I know winter weather is very much something that could throw a wrench into flights above and beyond the current staffing issues (that they will hopefully have addressed by then) and that I MUST pick up my bib from the expo no later than Friday.

(Question 2)
Additionally, assuming I/we fly back on Sunday night (this, unfortunately, is highly likely) would you book your resort for a MONDAY checkout so that you don't have to deal with dropping your luggage at bell services and showering at the pool, and then still have a quiet place to "hang out" until you needed to leave for the airport? Or are those things less of a nuisance than I'm imagining them to be in my head, and I should save that money for the expo?

(Question 3)
I'm also keeping an eye on DVC rental availability. Yesterday there was BRIEFLY some AKL, OKW, and SS availability. It's within about $150 for me to stay at one of those if I can find someone on the boards renting their points out versus my current reservation at ASMo. We have stayed at AKL twice, and in an OKW 2 bedroom (covid-closure upgrade from POR last August) but I'm wondering if any of those would be "more convenient" in any way from a race standpoint?
I have zero marathon experience, but I’ll share my thoughts/experiences from Princess:

Question 1 - I’d probably pick option A. Even better if there was a Monday afternoon/early evening option, but I know flight times seem to be slim pickings in some areas lately! My second choice would probably be option B if weather is the concern.

Question 2 - I’m totally team Monday night checkout. I know it’s technically a waste of money, but I’ve done it the past couple Princess weekends and I haven’t regretted it at all. It was nice to have the room to go back to, and not have to rush to take a shower and get my things together. We always do some time in the parks, come back and get our things together, and then relax in the room right before checking out. I always tell the desk right before we leave so they can start on that room earlier. They usually tell me I can’t get a refund even though I’ve never asked lol. My first race weekend I ran the 10K and checked out the day of the race. It wasn’t terrible at all, but for my personal comfort level, having the extra hours in the room is worth the extra cost.

I don’t have an answer to question 3, but good luck with your decisions! I’m in a similar boat, but trying to only take off 1 day. Right now I’m planning to fly either Friday evening or Saturday morning (Friday evening flights seem to be nonexistent lately), expo Saturday, marathon Sunday, and fly home Monday. It’s risky, but I’d rather be off Monday than Friday.

(Edit to add: I’ve also never had a rental car for a race weekend, so my answers are based on my reliance on DME and Disney race transportation.)

Caveat: I've done MW once (10K and full) but lots of other rD races.

(Question 1)

All these options get you in town with at least a day to spare for the Expo, so I wouldn't fret too much over the outgoing. I would personally not want to fly back home the same day as a full marathon. If you can swing Monday, do it.

(Question 2)

I'm also a 6-7 hour marathoner at Disney, and if you're also starting in a later corral, taking post-race photos and waiting for a bus, you realistically might not be back to the hotel before 3pm or so. I just wouldn't want to be stressed about getting to the airport during the race. I'd book for Monday checkout for sure.

(Question 3)

In my experience, all resorts are pretty equally convenient with the bus transportation. If you end up with a car and plan to drive to the races, OKW/SS would be slightly closer.

@HerdingCats

--If it was me, I would just not want to deal with flying back Sunday after doing the marathon, so would definitely book Monday at the earliest (and the afternoon--but I can fly NS to DTW). But I get that it may work best for your schedule. I always try to maximize park time within my stay, but that may not be important to you. If so, I would do Wed-Sun.....but now onto checkout.

--I don't know how much use you'd actually get out of a Mon checkout room, but if you are willing to spend the money and it makes your post-race life easier, then go for it. In which case, I would use probably sacrifice Wed night for the Mon checkout.

--All resorts are pretty much comparable in terms of race logistics (with the possible exception of monorail resorts), although I have always had a car and have never used the bus to the expo. I have used buses or driven from Pop, AKL, OKW, POR, WL, BCV and while there usually are hiccups (mostly related to clueless bus drivers), I don't ascribe them to a specific resort.

(Question 1)

(Question 2)

(Question 3)

1) Fly out Monday. This gives your body a chance to recover from the marathon

2) Pay for the Sunday night stay and checkout early if you decide to fly back Sunday. As previously stated it will be early afternoon before you are finished and back at the hotel. Having a room means you can shower and finish packing without being in a pool changing room (and hoping it is open and not closed due to weather or renovations). It also means you are not trying to bell check luggage and checkout of the resort at 3 am; that would be one more layer of stress that morning.

3) AKL has the best scenery for chilling, but it felt like I spent a long time on the bus on race days. That said, I would also stay there again on race weekend.

First and foremost, just get there and have this happen. I’ll double mask, wear a face shield and gloves, shoot up pfizer every week, bathe in hand sanitizer and get a covid test up the nose before each race. I don’t care. I’ll do whatever it takes.

I'm with you on this one!

SAFD: This will be my first Dopey. My adult DD and DW will be doing the marathon. We had to miss 2020 for my nephew's wedding, so we are all real excited to go down for the races. Typically we have arrived on Friday, gone to expo, and then done the Marathon. It's the only race my family has done. So going earlier, I think we will feel even more a part of race weekend.

Goals:

Enjoy all 4 races
Maybe pick 1 race to run for time
Love every minute of the Marathon running with wife and daughter... I ran 2018 with daughter and 2019 with wife, but the 3 of us have never run together.
Stay positive all week, regardless of event & race changes/omissions, etc. and just be grateful for the opportunity to experience runDisney again in some fashion with my loved ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter