Marathon Weekend 2022

Add me to the list of runners who love the new medal design. I'm excited to see what they do for the rest of Marathon Weekend - the shirts, bibs, course décor, etc. I'm especially interested to see if they keep the 2019 version of the full marathon course, or if they tweak it further. Either way, can't wait to see the starting line fireworks from the corrals!

Anyone have experience flying Frontier? Their flights to MCO are very cheap right now. Considering booking my flight this week.

Anyone have experience flying Frontier? Their flights to MCO are very cheap right now. Considering booking my flight this week.
I've flown with them twice down to WDW. Once was 2018 W&D and other than turbulence, which they can't control, I thought it was fine. I made sure to only bring a carry-on to maximize my money savings.

My other experience was not W&D weekend 2020. That one was not so fun because they changed my flight home and I lost the entire last day. Flight changed from leaving MCO at 7 PM to leaving closer to 7 AM (or similar). I could have called them and had it changed at no cost since it was because of their change in schedule, but at the time, my husband and I thought we'd be fine with it. We weren't. This can happen with any airline though I know, it just so happens that that was my worst experience with a flight time change and it was with Frontier.

All in all, I don't think they're terrible. Everything is a little smaller and they charge for whatever they can, but if you know that going in, you should be fine. Although, you're pretty tall, right? The "everything is smaller" might be a bigger issue to you.

I’ve never flown Frontier, but I’ve heard extremely mixed reviews. One person told me they can be “really good, or really bad.”

The very cheap prices are definitely a draw, but the planner in me stops me from taking the chance. I guess it depends on where you’re flying from, but every time I’ve heard of their schedule changes from friends of mine, it resulted in major issues. Flights changed to completely different times of day (like @Desdemona mentioned above) or the following day, and changes being made too late to be able to make a switch to another workable flight or airline. My local airport is small though, so that may not be an issue for others.

However, I’ve heard it can be amazing in terms of prices though, especially if you pack light with just a carry on. People I know who like Frontier say it’s definitely a no frills option, but it’s the cheapest way to fly to MCO.

There are issues with all airlines, but I’m just too paranoid to take the chance with Frontier, especially for a weekend as time-sensitive as a race weekend.

I usually wear the race medal from that day's race in the parks afterward. The day of the last race, I wear the challenge medal but carry the others in my bag for photos. They get scratched up if you wear them together (sadly learned this the hard way). Plus they are HEAVY!
I pack them individually in drink koozie/koozy for carrying around in my bag.

I fly Frontier all the time... they fly out of multiple airports near me to MCO so I have a lot of choice in flight times. I know they get mixed reviews but I have never had a problem. As long as you wrap your mind around paying extra for everything, including choosing a seat, they've been pretty reliable. They do change flight times on me often but in my case it's never been more than a few hours, and it's never been last minute. If that kind of thing bothers you, I would advise against them though because it's likely to happen.

SIL and I were supposed to fly Frontier RT for our Princess weekend in January, and they cancelled our departing flight about a month and a half out. It sucked because I think I had paid $39/ea for those flights, and replacement tickets on a different carrier were a LOT more by that time, but we had no issues with our return flight.

x2 on paying for everything. A carryon is more than a checked bag. If your flight gets cancelled they'll want to give you a credit instead of an actual refund.

I have flown them several times from PA to Colorado without issue, so have my parents.

I have flown Spirit multiple times to MCO and besides having an hour or so delay coming home one time (had to wait for flight crew to arrive from another flight!), I have been happy with them as well. However, I was not stranded anywhere at the beginning of August like many Spirit customers.

One thing I would be careful of is how many flight choices you might have with them. If they only fly your route 1x/day, then if anything goes wrong, e.g. winter weather issues, you may be SOL. At least with a major airline, you may have other routing choices that could be backup. That said. I have flown them once, but it was 7 years ago. It was fine.

One thing I would be careful of is how many flight choices you might have with them. If they only fly your route 1x/day, then if anything goes wrong, e.g. winter weather issues, you may be SOL. At least with a major airline, you may have other routing choices that could be backup. That said. I have flown them once, but it was 7 years ago. It was fine.
This was the issue I've had with them a couple years ago when I flew for work. A minor weather issue at our destination meant we were cancelled and the soonest rebooking was 2 days later. I don't feel like their staff are empowered to deliver good customer service, but it's not too bad.

SAFD: I LOVE the medals. Happy to earn the marathon one. As a big Oswald fan, I'm wishing I was in for Dopey...tempted to upgrade...

I have flown Frontier, but only to Maine and never in winter since they only had two or three flights per week. As long as they had multiple flights per day I’d chance it. It would have been super cheap for me to fly allegiant to Chicago for the marathon, but they only had one flight per day. I opted for Southwest since they had multiple flights.

If you can't run, do you have access to an exercise bike? (Or can you temporarily join a gym to get access to one?) I am currently grounded by my physical therapist, but he is allowing me to bike. I hate biking, but it is better than doing nothing (and binging on my Disney+ watchlist is making it tolerable).

I've said it before and I will say it again - if you can get your doctor to send you for physical therapy AND you can find a PT who is also a runner, you will be golden. They know how to get you back on the road safely. In my case, I've been trying to push through. When I finally gave in, I realized that I wasted so much time and feel so much better now that I'm in the good hands of my PT.
Thank you! I was finally able to see a doctor yesterday and he said I could try cycling and see if it bothers my ankle. So I may give that a try and just hope this heals soon.

Anyone else buy an AP today since they are back on sale? That was painful - the price hike this year is crazy, not to mention what's coming with Genie plus and whatever else Disney is going to get out of me :scared:
But I have at least 3 trips coming up (hoping to add a 4th next year) so with multi-day tickets also going up in price, it made sense but OUCH

Feels good to be starting into the 18 week program leading up to the marathon finally after too long of a break due to race cancellations. I am doing Higdon's plan this year and because of health issues will be run/walking throughout the plan. Previously have done a marathon on run/walk after recovering from stress fracture but this is different.

Question on intervals and achieving the right pace for MP, LR, and easy paces, do you fix the interval and slow down the run pace or does the run interval change as the pace changes? I have been doing a mixture this summer in base build, with the MP interval at 2:15/1:00, LR at 1:30/1:00, then keeping the interval of 1:30/1:00 for easy runs. But now I am thinking going forward that every run will be 2:15/1:00 run-walk interval and I will moderate the run pace to get to my overall goal pace. Thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter