Marathon Weekend 2022

Anyone else drive themselves crazy planning on what to wear each day for the Dopey? Been picking up shorts and singlets and then stopped because never know what the weather will be. It's not me to sit back and wait until the last minute to plan things out. But I guess in this case I will need to wait and see what the weather forecast is as it gets closer.
As a Floridian, I HIGHLY recommend the Bring It All And Check Weather The Night Before And Again When You Get Up method for Marathon Weekend. I always have a loose idea of what I'd like to wear per race - a certain shirt and/or headwear, usually - and then layer/unlayer around that. To be fair, I drive, so I can bring as much as I feel like hauling, and I rent a place with a washer and dryer, which makes it easy to reuse things like tights and jackets. But with a starting point of a singlet and shorts as your base, you can then add sleeves, or tights, or a long sleeve shirt, or a jacket, or a hat, or gloves, or all of the above! Plus throwaway layers, of course. $3 fleece blankets from Walmart are great, cheap knit gloves, old sweatshirts/fleece jackets/PJ bottoms. I've come home from race weekends with nearly all of my "throwaway" gear that wasn't needed, but I've never, EVER regretted having plenty of options available; I've definitely regretted not having enough.

As a former baseball player and the dad of a current high school/travel baseball player, the #1 rule when flying with baseball gear is never pack your absolute essentials and things hard to replace in your checked luggage. So my son always packs his numerous baseball gloves in his carry on. If those were lost, it would be very tough to replace and have broken in right away. Going the same route with my running shoes for that week. Those running shoes will be going in my carry on. Clothes you can go grab somewhere on a whim. Breaking in new shoes in a day would be tough.

As a former baseball player and the dad of a current high school/travel baseball player, the #1 rule when flying with baseball gear is never pack your absolute essentials and things hard to replace in your checked luggage. So my son always packs his numerous baseball gloves in his carry on. If those were lost, it would be very tough to replace and have broken in right away. Going the same route with my running shoes for that week. Those running shoes will be going in my carry on. Clothes you can go grab somewhere on a whim. Breaking in new shoes in a day would be tough.
That’s exactly my plan for Princess Weekend. All shoes, socks, and basic running gear will be in my possession the whole time. Costume accessories and regular clothes can be delayed/lost, but if I don’t have shoes and gear, I’m not running. Yay for Southwest and not nickel and dime-ing people out of bringing carry-ons.

Common misconception: You need 4 outfits for Dopey.

Reality: You need to pack 12 outfits for Dopey. 4 for good temperatures, 4 for ice skating temperatures and 4 to wear on the surface of the sun. Oh, and make sure you have accessories to support running in the rain under any of those conditions.

While watching the weather forecast can be an entertaining sport on its own merits leading up to the race weekend, I advise not relying on it too much more than 12-24 hours before the race. The weather down there can and does change with very little notice and it pays to be ready for all conditions.
Newbie here! I’m currently training for my first half marathon (Disney Princess Half) and I’ve realized I need a better solution to my phone holding situation. I have been running with it shoved in my shirt but it’s not working now that my distances are getting longer. Do people use the things that strap on to your arm? Thanks for any advice!

Correct! And if you are already an "overpacker", then prepare to pay overweight baggage fees. Yes, that was me. :rotfl:

Going the same route with my running shoes for that week. Those running shoes will be going in my carry on.

Totally agree! We always pack shoes and running costumes in carry-on. We work too hard on them to risk them getting lost!

I wish we could shrink our sneakers, but it does help to pack several pairs of socks in them to save space in your suitcase

I've done this exact thing. You can cram a lot into a couple pairs of shoes!

Any packing cube recommendations?
We have a few different versions. Brand is probably not super important. Go for a set with a variety of sizes. It's easier to tetris your suitcase together without wasted space.
Our family also has different colors for each person so when we take big trips with multiple suitcases, it is easy to know whose clothes are whose. Then we mix the cubes into different suitcases so that if 1 bag gets lost, no one is without everything. Everyone may lose something but at least we have some clothes to put on each body in the meantime.

Absolutely! I’m packing my running gear and layers, plus a couple items for every day clothes. If I go the checked luggage route, everything else goes in there. I figure I can bring my TENS and Epsom salts with that, plus a small fan for white noise. I can at least try to have everything like at home before a race.

Correct! And if you are already an "overpacker", then prepare to pay overweight baggage fees. Yes, that was me. :rotfl:

when DH and I travel, we cram as much as we can into our carryons and “personal item” backpacks, and then pack a suitcase inside our biggest suitcase so we have an entire bag to bring back stuff, but we only have to pay for one suitcase down, and 2 back (instead of 2 each way.) Or in the case of our anniversary trip a little over a year ago: go to TJ Max the day before we leave and buy an extra suitcase because we couldn’t make everything fit. 😂

I know this is a little off topic for this thread but I can't find any discussions about it and our trip revolves around MW 2022, so.... has it been discussed anywhere when the parks might require vaccinations like the cruise line? 5-11 year olds were just approved in Canada today and the roll out could cause it to take longer for them to be fully vaccinated than the January 13 date given for the cruise line. It could be unfortunate for international visitors if the parks followed suit and had such a close deadline basing it all off the approval in the US.

I know this is a little off topic for this thread but I can't find any discussions about it and our trip revolves around MW 2022, so.... has it been discussed anywhere when the parks might require vaccinations like the cruise line? 5-11 year olds were just approved in Canada today and the roll out could cause it to take longer for them to be fully vaccinated than the January 13 date given for the cruise line. It could be unfortunate for international visitors if the parks followed suit and had such a close deadline basing it all off the approval in the US.
If the parks were going to be requiring vaccinations, they'd have done so already. Also in Florida, the governor put out an executive order (I think that's what it was) banning business from requiring vaccines for customers.

If the parks were going to be requiring vaccinations, they'd have done so already. Also in Florida, the governor put out an executive order (I think that's what it was) banning business from requiring vaccines for customers.
Oh right, I always forget about the governors stance on it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter