Marathon Weekend 2022

Not sure if anyone else saw this? 🤯🤯🤯🤯 (hoping the link works)

TLDR; “
Brittany Charboneau set a marathon record on Sunday, and she did it dressed as her favorite Disney characters.
Charboneau swept all four of the Walt Disney World Marathon weekend races, becoming the first person to top the 5K, 10K, half marathon and marathon finishers in the event’s 29-year history. That’s a combined 48.6 miles of running on consecutive days known as the “Dopey Challenge.””

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...735g45k7slxuqoloo4m-story.html?outputType=amp

Random question: Does anyone not get hungry when doing all these runs? I wasn't terribly interested in eating the night after running the half, and didn't even want to eat after the marathon. I did eat anyways, and the food went down fine, but even today I'm not terribly famished.

I wasn’t hungry at all after the marathon, but I’m pretty sure I had a mild degree of heat stroke or some heat-and-dehydration-related malady. I had a terrible headache, was mildly nauseous, and had chills. I drank a Powerade and a water at every single water station but I guess it wasn’t enough. I have white stuff on my running clothes that I’m pretty sure is salt that I must have sweated out. Is that even possible? I can’t think what else it could be.

Funny thing is that I was super hungry DURING the run! I ate ALL the bananas (including one someone left on the side of a bridge and one that another runner took but didn’t want) and all the stingers and I was disappointed at the sponge station because from a distance those yellow sponges looked like more bananas. I thought I was going to get so many Disney treats after the run. But as soon as I sat down on the bus to head back to my resort for a shower, I started feeling sick. I managed to eat the applesauce pouch out of the race box and tried to eat the chips for some salt, but couldn’t get them down.

But I sure was hungry this morning!

Random question: Does anyone not get hungry when doing all these runs? I wasn't terribly interested in eating the night after running the half, and didn't even want to eat after the marathon. I did eat anyways, and the food went down fine, but even today I'm not terribly famished.

I was starved after i got done. I immediately demolished the after race box. Then my son went and got me a pizza cone from the food truck in the meet up area. Grabbed a beer before heading out. Then after I got cleaned up and back to Epcot, I had one of the big donuts, cheeseburger and onion rings. But even then I started feeling crappy later in the afternoon like my body was still craving more food to restore what I lost. Headed back to Riverside and grabbed a big bowl of pasta and meatballs. Much better after that.

never hungry after anything 13+, it’s a real battle to wrap my head around that vs how important proper refueling is long term.
After I ran my first full, I ate in the car on the way home (within 30min of finishing the race) amd had no trouble going back for thirds at the wedding reception we attended that night

I waited an hour, probably more like 2, after the half (on Saturday) to eat anything and was forcing myself to eat food later that night, when all food sounded disgusting. And lunch was a chef art smiths, which is a huge favorite of mine and I could barely eat. It was rough and I knew I would need all of those calories for the next morning but it was a battle to convince myself to eat.

I checked a bag for the full mainly so I could have food (a PBJ) immediately after the race. Of course, I’m slow, so my body also very much needs food after 6 hours (or 7, in the case of Sunday) of exerting itself and only fueling with gels and gummies. Plus all that time waiting in the corrals. Ugh. I definitely had more of an appetite on Sunday afternoon though compared to Saturday. I had a pool bar bacon cheeseburger a few hours after finishing (2ish?) and was still hungry enough to actually eat dinner at 6.

so what this tells me is that I NEED to eat right away after long races. Some people don’t, but apparently I do.

Not sure if anyone else saw this? 🤯🤯🤯🤯 (hoping the link works)

TLDR; “
Brittany Charboneau set a marathon record on Sunday, and she did it dressed as her favorite Disney characters.
Charboneau swept all four of the Walt Disney World Marathon weekend races, becoming the first person to top the 5K, 10K, half marathon and marathon finishers in the event’s 29-year history. That’s a combined 48.6 miles of running on consecutive days known as the “Dopey Challenge.””

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...735g45k7slxuqoloo4m-story.html?outputType=amp
I love that she did this in costume!
I'm guessing she didn't stop for any pictures. That's a bummer. More pace, more problems. :D

After I ran my first full, I ate in the car on the way home (within 30min of finishing the race) amd had no trouble going back for thirds at the wedding reception we attended that night

I waited an hour, probably more like 2, after the half (on Saturday) to eat anything and was forcing myself to eat food later that night, when all food sounded disgusting. And lunch was a chef art smiths, which is a huge favorite of mine and I could barely eat. It was rough and I knew I would need all of those calories for the next morning but it was a battle to convince myself to eat.

I checked a bag for the full mainly so I could have food (a PBJ) immediately after the race. Of course, I’m slow, so my body also very much needs food after 6 hours (or 7, in the case of Sunday) of exerting itself and only fueling with gels and gummies. Plus all that time waiting in the corrals. Ugh. I definitely had more of an appetite on Sunday afternoon though compared to Saturday. I had a pool bar bacon cheeseburger a few hours after finishing (2ish?) and was still hungry enough to actually eat dinner at 6.

so what this tells me is that I NEED to eat right away after long races. Some people don’t, but apparently I do.
Me too. If I wait, then my appetite is trashed. If I eat something right away, I can continue to eat. Probably a blood sugar thing, once you get too low, you're sick from it.
Incidentally the guy right in front of me in the corral Sunday had a gallon-sized baggie with 2 peanut butter sandwiches in it. Just kind of jammed into his fuel belt. That was some galaxy-brain stuff and I was very jealous. Not that I'm doing this again, but if I did, I'd rely less on gels and more on real food, it seems to agree with me better. DH and DS met me outside HS on Sunday with a croissant and it was exactly what I needed at that point.

Me too. If I wait, then my appetite is trashed. If I eat something right away, I can continue to eat. Probably a blood sugar thing, once you get too low, you're sick from it.
Incidentally the guy right in front of me in the corral Sunday had a gallon-sized baggie with 2 peanut butter sandwiches in it. Just kind of jammed into his fuel belt. That was some galaxy-brain stuff and I was very jealous. Not that I'm doing this again, but if I did, I'd rely less on gels and more on real food, it seems to agree with me better. DH and DS met me outside HS on Sunday with a croissant and it was exactly what I needed at that point.
I am a fan of peanut butter! For runs over 4 hours, I've been using a combo of Gu and peanut butter; i bought single serving peanut butter packets, and they're as convenient as gels.

I am a fan of peanut butter! For runs over 4 hours, I've been using a combo of Gu and peanut butter; i bought single serving peanut butter packets, and they're as convenient as gels.
Actually I had brought a little snack baggie with peanut butter-filled pretzels so I had a less cool version of the pb sandwiches. Those were good and provided salt as well.

I wasn’t hungry at all after the marathon, but I’m pretty sure I had a mild degree of heat stroke or some heat-and-dehydration-related malady. I had a terrible headache, was mildly nauseous, and had chills. I drank a Powerade and a water at every single water station but I guess it wasn’t enough. I have white stuff on my running clothes that I’m pretty sure is salt that I must have sweated out. Is that even possible? I can’t think what else it could be.

But I sure was hungry this morning!

Yes, you were on the verge of having big problems. Chills when it is hot out is a unambiguous warning sign. And you definitely sweated out a lot of salt. If you're planning to do long races in the future, you'll have to try to plan better for this. You may be a particularly heavy sweater or saltier sweater, or perhaps not as heat acclimated.

Glad you are OK now and you finished!

Thanks all for the fun meet ups over the past few days and the Goof Troop marathon!! It was good to see everyone, and I look forward to more adventures in the future!

ETA: hope the DATW crew is still standing at this point.

TSA check lines at MCO were still pretty long this afternoon… it took my daughter about 45 minutes to get through (only about 5 minutes for me in the Pre-Check line)

If anyone is flying out this morning out of MCO, the line for security in the A/B gate is backed up all the way to the C gate. I have never seen it like this before.
MCO is a horrible airport experience. If I lived south of the Mason Dixon Line we would not be flying.

I flew out last night- flight was originally at 9:15pm but was delayed until nearly 12:30am. We had boarded at 8:45 and I immediately fell asleep. I woke up an hour later and we were still at the jet bridge. People next to me said that one of the flight attendants was drunk and sent home. So we didn’t have enough crew to fly. We had to de-plane and wait for a replacement to come in. 3ish hour flight later and an hour drive and I finally got him early this morning. I slept 2 hours and my baby woke up and here I am. I’m not as sore as I’d imagined I’d be but going downstairs is a challenge on my right knee. I had such a great time and can’t wait for Dopey next year!

Also, maybe TMI but useful for the future moms out there- I ran the marathon while still a breastfeeding mama. Since husband and baby were back home, I pumped before the race, pumped once during, and immediately after. It wasn’t glamorous and I sure don’t want to do that again, but it is doable!!

I’m looking forward to catching up here when I have more than a phone to read on!

For now, I’m happy to say Dopey number four and marathon number six are complete! I had a really good marathon, despite the warm weather, and had possibly my most fun marathon weekend overall. It feels like a really good way to say goodbye to Dopey! I’m looking forward to less mileage and more time for other things next year.

Also, maybe TMI but useful for the future moms out there- I ran the marathon while still a breastfeeding mama. Since husband and baby were back home, I pumped before the race, pumped once during, and immediately after. It wasn’t glamorous and I sure don’t want to do that again, but it is doable!!

Major props and respect to you! That is amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter