• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

I forgot to check in as we are still at Disney!

Finished in 4:47 with a bunch of picture stops (about 20)! My Disney PR is 4:43 with like three stops, so I felt good about it! And 8 minutes faster than my bombed Wineglass Marathon in October!

I wanted to get as far as possible before the sun came up, so I did 9:30-10:00 (not including pics) min/miles until mile 16ish and then allowed myself take walk breaks as necessary. Still ran lower 10:00s after that when not walking. Still felt soreness starting around mile 17/18 which shouldn't be happening but it is what it is.

Overall felt great (mostly) and had some good interaction on the course. Most of all, I was happy and relaxed the whole time. I just don't think I can do non-Disney marathons anymore or run a marathon for time. Nothing else compares (even with the crappy part after AK) and it is just plain more fun without worrying about time.

@lhermiston. Thank you for being the beating heart (and soaked liver!) of the Good Troop Roving Road Party, and for keeping us entertained and informed with SAFD. Will miss your dad humor and awesome photographs, not to mention your "easiness to spot" in a running crowd.

Good luck with your new running adventures. And , ya know, you could pop in on the Running 2022 thread once in a while.

If you missed DATW on Monday, you missed a couple of things:

- First, a very loud and very crude in-person Sundays (Mondays) are for Disney. There were shots. There was cursing. I'm sorry for any embarrassment I caused.

- Second, my retirement from Disney/runDisney.

Even typing this all out feels kind of narcissistic, but I know some folks have grown accustomed to SAFD posts and whatnot, so this is to let everyone know what's up. My kids are getting older. I'm getting older. Disney is getting more expensive and the experience isn't rising with the costs.

So, I'm stepping away from all things Disney in order to better focus my time and resources on other destinations and other races. I'm also stepping away from the boards, which means no more SAFD (at least from me). It's been a good run, but it's time for something different.

I have described Marathon Weekend like a high school reunion. Once a year, a bunch of us come in from around the world to run and gripe about the weather, but mostly laugh, drink and eat. With many of you, it has come to feel more like a family reunion. I genuinely enjoy your company and look forward to seeing you.

This will likely be a Roger Clemens-like retirement. Even with all of the hassles and the costs, runDisney is something I have loved very deeply. I'll likely be back one day, but it's going to be a minute or two this time. Until then, I hope you all stay healthy, keep running and keep these marathon threads going strong.

Goof Troop forever.

I can't say I disagree with this post, especially the bolded. I'm part of the problem because I still go, and likely will for a while since my son is young and loves it, but the trips are becoming different. We stay offsite or at the Swan/Dolphin/Swan Reserve more than we used to, we build in more non-park and non-Disney days, and we are no longer considering DVC because we don't want to be tied to a vacation that is decreasing in value.

Thanks for all the time you put into the SAFD posts. I know how hard it can be to keep coming up with interesting topics.

Currently sitting in the airport waiting for my flight so I finally have enough time to pop in and say thank you and congratulations!

Thanks everyone for helping build the excitement for the weekend and being a helpful resource to answer questions.

Three cheers 👏🍻🙌 to everyone for completing their training and making it through marathon weekend. I know a few of you had to pivot on your plans and it's been another trying year. However, we've all made it to live another day and hopefully run another race.

Currently sitting in the airport waiting for my flight so I finally have enough time to pop in and say thank you and congratulations!

Thanks everyone for helping build the excitement for the weekend and being a helpful resource to answer questions.

Three cheers 👏🍻🙌 to everyone for completing their training and making it through marathon weekend. I know a few of you had to pivot on your plans and it's been another trying year. However, we've all made it to live another day and hopefully run another race.

I just recently started visiting the runDisney board and was just starting to get to "know" people here. This was my first marathon, and I can feel myself being lured in. Not so much because I love running (haha) but because of the energy and the positivity and the humor of this board and the vibe off the event itself. I've never felt more alive and half dead at the same time in my life than I did running that race on Sunday. It was wonderful and terrible and it was something I want to do again. So I'll be sticking around this board, but I get the feeling that we're losing something rare with the departure of @lhermiston. I never posted in a SAFD, in fact I had just recently figured out what the letters stand for, but I enjoyed reading it and I'll miss it. It sort of feels like I'm coming in at the end of an era.

Ok be honest. Who has already checked flight calendars to see when flights for next January will be available?

I can also tell you that swan and dolphin won’t let you book online past 12-31-22 yet.

I just recently started visiting the runDisney board and.... I can feel myself being lured in. Not so much because I love running (haha) but because of the energy and the positivity and the humor of this board

They’re all a bunch of enablers, but in the best way. 😂 I could have written this a year and a half-ish ago.

They’re all a bunch of enablers, but in the best way. 😂 I could have written this a year and a half-ish ago.
This so true! Now that you’re here @1GoldenSun , just accept that reading other people’s posts will make you think you can do things you thought were insane before. In my case, I came here last July thinking about running 5Ks, maaaybe stretching toward a 10K, and now I’m signed up for everything for the Princess and Springtime Surprise Weekends, and I have a trip booked for W&D22.

I just ordered some of those socks, but they were delayed and since I did not get to try them on a long run I opted not to wear them for the race. I don’t know if they will help though because my blisters are on the soles of my feet, not my toes. And I have one on my heel now, too, which has never happened before.
I have/had horrible problems with blistering. I finally got it under control with injinji and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SQ1DQY2/.

What a great weekend!
Turns out I beat my previous Dopey times in all four races with a total of 7:28:42 and a bunch of great photos. Avg pace ~9:14/mile

Pushed even harder on the drive home ~1260 miles, 18 hrs 37 min including 5 stops for some combination of walking, stretching, fuel, or restrooms. Avg speed ~68 mph

I was pleasantly surprised in that I feel pretty good at work today and even walked a couple miles. Planning on running maybe Saturday...

How is everyone else doing? Hopefully recovery is going well for all.
Congrats Dopey2020!

99.9% sure I have it as well. Testing out here in So Cal is bonkers, and we waited in a 1 1/2 hour line yesterday (my youngest was exposed at school) to get tested. No clue when we’ll get results. Feeling so guilty that I was likely contagious during the Marathon and my flight home on Monday. 😔 Thankfully wore my more protective mask on the plane. We knew we were taking a risk, but it just doesn’t seem worth it now. Not so excited for Springtime races at this point…
Ya’ll are not alone. My DH and I are headed home tomorrow with each of having a case. Kind of expected it, but was hoping to avoid it. Still-wouldn’t trade the Dopey experience for anything!!!

The research is mixed and I don't believe there is a consensus on the methodology of drinking fluids during a marathon. One of the most common suggestions is to drink to thirst. Ultimately, I think it's a mix of do what you did in training, learn what your individual needs are, and then be willing to adjust on race day.

For anecdotal information, here is my consumption rate on an hourly basis for a Marathon (including carbs, electrolyte, and caffeine information):

15 min prior to start: 17oz of Maurten 320
Per hr consumption:
Water = 40oz/hr (estimated 3 oz per cup and 13 cups if racing)
Calories = 373/hr
Sodium = 646mg/hr
Carbs = 93g/hr
Potassium = 145mg/hr
Magnesium = 14mg/hr
Calcium = 40mg/hr
Caffiene = 66mg/hr

So in a 3 hour marathon, I estimated I drink about 137oz of water. That's about 1.07 gallons or 4.05 liters. I tend to be on the high side of things.

I definitely think there's a fine balance. Like @camaker said, "Corral jumping" is always going to exist. How much cheating on POT occurs is an unknown, but I would venture to guess it's quite low. So it simply comes down to whether runDisney wants to collect more submissions of POT, but never really check them (what I had always assumed was the case pre-2022) or go with the idea of collecting a smaller number of POT submissions because of tougher standards, and then actually check them. For me, why not a little of both?

I have been an advocate that the POT standards be lessened instead of strengthened. I'd personally like to see them move the standards from a 2:45 to a 3:00 or 3:15 HM, instead of a 2:00 HM (or in the case of the M instead of 4hrs I'd do 6 hrs). In that case, you'll get more submissions. I think you say you'll check them, and if they're falsified, you go to the back. But in reality, you still only check the sub-2 submissions to ensure the first one or two corrals have a majority of appropriately placed runners. I believe the vast majority of runners won't submit falsified data when there's the threat of being put in the last corral. When it comes to an estimated drop-down method where there is no verification, then people are more willing to choose something that may be potentially faster than they'd ever be able to do. Because with the simple drop-down there is no information to prove otherwise. I personally don't see it as the same level of false information.

Now, the flip side is the new runners that don't yet have a POT for even a 3:00-3:15 HM. In a normal year, race registration is 8 months in advance of the race. It would seem to me that it's not unreasonable to do a 10k within that time period if you have a strong desire not to be in the last corral as a new runner. Certainly there will be those who are unable to do it within that time period, but I would think the vast majority of runners that want to, could. Same goes for a M. It's not an unreasonable expectation to do a 10 mile or HM before a M. Maybe even lessen the standard to a 10k if you felt strong enough (potentially with a massive hit on the race equivalency calculator).

There were two factors that would make the 2022 M course seem more congested than a normal year. First, they released the entire field in about half the time. So that means in essence the density of the runners doubled. At times it would feel like a field of 32,000 runners instead of a field of 16,000 runners. So for every open space that would have been there in a rate release over 60 min, you now have a person in that spot. So new POT standards or not, that's going to make things way way more congested.

Second, 2022 was a clear outlier in terms of distribution of runners across the corrals than the three previous races when the POT standard was 5:30.

View attachment 637895

From 2018-2020, about 42-45% had a POT of 5:30 or faster. That means 55-58% of the field did not have a POT, and where seeded in the last three corrals. In what was the 4:00-4:30 corral in 2018-2020 (Corral C) there was about 10-12% of the field.

Compare that to 2022. A total of 70% of the field submitted a 5:30 or faster (compared to the previous 42-45%). Only 30% of the field chose 5:30 or slower. In what was the 4:00-4:30 corral in 2018-2020 (Corral C), but was s3 for 2022 there was about 27% of the field. The 2022 numbers are rough and based on some assumptions, so don't take them as completely fact. But they're generally close to reality.

So the runners were overall released in a more dense manner (30 min release time) and there was clearly an influx of runners in the top corrals based on estimated finish times.

I think two things will actually drive it as an opposite effect. Similar to what we saw when comparing 2018 to 2019. You can see in the data that F, G, and H were reasonably even in 2018. But in 2019 and 2020 there was a huge swing towards submitting a 5:30 estimate. Presumably for more time on the course. Because moving from having 10% less of the field ahead of you means an extra six minutes of start time (roughly) versus the balloon ladies. You could gain as much as 10-15 min or so depending on placement within the corral.

So after people's experience in 2022, I think you'll see more runners say, "Well in 2022 I put the appropriate time of a 5:30, but then I was seeded in s6 behind 70% of the field when in 2018-2020 I was closer to the top 45% of the field if I started at the front of the corral. So I'm just going to fudge my estimate just like what seems like everyone else is doing." Just a hunch though based on past rD data.

Second, if a person who was suppose to have a 30 min buffer being the 50th percentile starter, goes to a 15 min buffer as the 50th percentile starter, I don't think they'll be inclined to put a more accurate estimate and put an even slower submission. That would mean they'd now have a smaller buffer than the 15 min they saw in 2022. They're more likely to put an even faster submission to increase their buffer time.

Just as a comment on getting a PoT...

If you're like me who lives in Florida, it's actually really difficult. There are almost zero running events in the summer due to the heat, and 10k's are not very common from what I've seen in the relative area, and often times, they're not until the fall, or early winter. In fact, most of the half marathons are held then as well. So really, if you don't have a valid race from the previous year already under your belt, you don't have much, if any chance, of finding a race to run that will be accepted. I ran a half marathon in Iceland this year (my best half ever mind you), and I couldn't submit it because it wasn't a US accredited race. Registration for Dopey wasn't until July of this year, and PoT I think was required by October or so, so it was nearly impossible (for me at least) to find a reasonably close race to run to get one. In the end it didn't affect me, but still. It's an issue for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter