Marathon Weekend 2023

Ok, well I see a lot of thumbs up on facilitating SAFD this year. So I will follow Lee’s lead and send out the first question on Sunday. If you have any ideas for questions please send my way. Apologizing now for my grammar!
Thanks for volunteering to keep this going - you might just convince me to register for a race again next year!

I am new to the forum , just registered. We moved to Palm Bay, Fl recently and since we are so close to Orlando, I decided to run the half marathons at Disney. I understand that Disney will start the registration for the January Disney Marathon Weekend about 8 months in advance. From your previous experience, when exactly they will announce the registration date? Thank you for all help.

I am new to the forum , just registered. We moved to Palm Bay, Fl recently and since we are so close to Orlando, I decided to run the half marathons at Disney. I understand that Disney will start the registration for the January Disney Marathon Weekend about 8 months in advance. From your previous experience, when exactly they will announce the registration date? Thank you for all help.
I would just keep an eye here. They ran into issues with the latest race weekend registration and although I’m optimistic that it won’t happen again, you never know. I don’t expect a registration announcement until Feb or March though.

The 5k/10k seemed a bit more mixed and I don't have a good read on the system they used
For the Dopey runners, did anyone get a different corral on their 5k/10k bib from what they had on their half/full bib? I never saw anybody mention that this was the case which begs two questions:
  • During Dopey registration, why do they even ask for your anticipated pace for the 5k & 10k if they are going to ignore it?
  • Why provide two separate bibs for Dopey if you will be in the same corral for all four races? (I guess it could just be for bib wear and tear issues)
I really feel they just determined the proper full marathon placement for Dopey runners, then put you in the same corral for the 5k/10k that they put you in for the half/full. Probably the easiest solution for them vs. two placements for the Dopey runners using the anticipated 5k/10k pace for the 5k/10k bib and PoT or anticipated marathon time for the half/full bib. In any case, it definitely puts certain Dopey runners at a disadvantage on the 5k & 10k vs. rD placing them based on their entered anticipated paces for the 5k & 10k.

I probably wouldn’t have even noticed or thought of this discrepancy if not for the fact that I registered my daughter for both the 5k and 10k with an anticipated pace of “Under 8 Minutes” for each registration, and she was put in s1 for both races. Since I was doing Dopey, I entered my PoT for the full (which put me in the appropriate s2 corral), but I also put “Under 8 Minutes” for the 5k/10k anticipated pace on my Dopey registration and was put in s2 for those races (so same anticipated 5k/10k pace as my daughter but put in different corrals). For us, it wasn’t a big deal as we were not going all-out on these races, so she just moved back to s2 such that we could run together. In the end, this actually worked out quite well as we were able to hang out with/run near Jack Sparrow each morning. pirate:

I put in that same pace (10-12mm) for 5/10 and my anticipated marathon finish was 5:01-5:30. I got S5 on both bibs.
I had 4:30 to 5 for the marathon (which would be my pace without photo stops - or accidents!) so it does sound like that‘s all they used.

For DVC owners, because I know a little bit, but am in no way well-versed in it, how much of a unicorn would an AK value studio be for marathon weekend? As in Tuesday-Sunday? And how much of a unicorn to find an owner with correct UY (what month/year should I even be looking for?) that owns at AK? DH isn't ready to think about a trip next year, but if I can put together some numbers I might be able to get a sort-of-yes out of him. It looks like studios at nearly every other resort (minus OWK?) are the same number of points per night.

For DVC owners, because I know a little bit, but am in no way well-versed in it, how much of a unicorn would an AK value studio be for marathon weekend? As in Tuesday-Sunday? And how much of a unicorn to find an owner with correct UY (what month/year should I even be looking for?) that owns at AK? DH isn't ready to think about a trip next year, but if I can put together some numbers I might be able to get a sort-of-yes out of him. It looks like studios at nearly every other resort (minus OWK?) are the same number of points per night.
I’m a fairly newer DVC owner so I don’t know a ton, but I’ve heard it can be close to impossible to get an AK value studio if you don’t own there and book at exactly 11 months. I don’t think UY would matter, because that just determines when your new allocation of points begins and what date you need to bank your current points. I guess it would matter if they’re using banked/borrowed points to book it. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong!

I started running in 2013 because I was excited about doing a Disneyland RunDisney event. By the time I was able to do a half marathon they stopped doing them so I waited until I could run a marathon. NOW, I truly believe that I can do Dopey--assuming I can get a bib for it in an anniversary year.

As a newbie to RunDisney though, I have a few logistical questions:
1) On Expo Day I've noticed that some people wait in very lengthy lines. I had assumed I'd do the expo day as a park day as well but this seems like it may be impractical since some of the best park hours would be spent out of the park in a long line. I'd really like to at least pick up some basic merch (maybe a spirit jersey and a mickey 48.6 magnet for the car). Thoughts?

2) I am going to try to stay at the Dolphin or Swan - is it practical to just walk over to the races that start at Epcot (usually I think one of them does?) so I can get a little more sleep on that day?

3) Anything else I should know to make this dream come true? Or is it all LUCK when it comes to registering.

1) On Expo Day I've noticed that some people wait in very lengthy lines. I had assumed I'd do the expo day as a park day as well but this seems like it may be impractical since some of the best park hours would be spent out of the park in a long line. I'd really like to at least pick up some basic merch (maybe a spirit jersey and a mickey 48.6 magnet for the car). Thoughts?

2) I am going to try to stay at the Dolphin or Swan - is it practical to just walk over to the races that start at Epcot (usually I think one of them does?) so I can get a little more sleep on that day?

3) Anything else I should know to make this dream come true? Or is it all LUCK when it comes to registering.

The worst lines at the expo are for merch first thing. The magnet could be pre-ordered but not the spirit jersey, and those are super popular so you would need to be in line early to get that.

I stay at Boardwalk, and you can't walk to the start line as the park isn't open. For the races that end after the park is open, if you have a park ticket and reservation, you could walk back, but the buses are easy and plentiful. Just take the bus.

Registration does involve some luck but if you're logged in and ready when the races go on sale, you should be ok. Good luck and see you there!

I’m a fairly newer DVC owner so I don’t know a ton, but I’ve heard it can be close to impossible to get an AK value studio if you don’t own there and book at exactly 11 months. I don’t think UY would matter, because that just determines when your new allocation of points begins and what date you need to bank your current points. I guess it would matter if they’re using banked/borrowed points to book it. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong!

You got it. Use year won't matter unless you end up canceling. And yes, you'd want to find someone to book at exactly 11 months.

For the Dopey runners, did anyone get a different corral on their 5k/10k bib from what they had on their half/full bib? I never saw anybody mention that this was the case which begs two questions:
  • During Dopey registration, why do they even ask for your anticipated pace for the 5k & 10k if they are going to ignore it?
  • Why provide two separate bibs for Dopey if you will be in the same corral for all four races? (I guess it could just be for bib wear and tear issues)
I really feel they just determined the proper full marathon placement for Dopey runners, then put you in the same corral for the 5k/10k that they put you in for the half/full. Probably the easiest solution for them vs. two placements for the Dopey runners using the anticipated 5k/10k pace for the 5k/10k bib and PoT or anticipated marathon time for the half/full bib. In any case, it definitely puts certain Dopey runners at a disadvantage on the 5k & 10k vs. rD placing them based on their entered anticipated paces for the 5k & 10k.

I probably wouldn’t have even noticed or thought of this discrepancy if not for the fact that I registered my daughter for both the 5k and 10k with an anticipated pace of “Under 8 Minutes” for each registration, and she was put in s1 for both races. Since I was doing Dopey, I entered my PoT for the full (which put me in the appropriate s2 corral), but I also put “Under 8 Minutes” for the 5k/10k anticipated pace on my Dopey registration and was put in s2 for those races (so same anticipated 5k/10k pace as my daughter but put in different corrals). For us, it wasn’t a big deal as we were not going all-out on these races, so she just moved back to s2 such that we could run together. In the end, this actually worked out quite well as we were able to hang out with/run near Jack Sparrow each morning. pirate:

In every year I participated in Dopey from 2014-2018 your 5k/10k assignment was not the same assignment as your HM/M. I agree that from the evidence I've seen they kept the assignments the same for Dopey's this year and it didn't make a ton of sense to me.

Fwiw Re dopey placement I wonder if the fact that all races had the same number of start groups vs longer races in the past having more corals that caused the same start placement for all distances regardless of your 5k/10k projection

My suggestion would be to use the DVC Store DVC Resales - Disney Vacation Club Resale Listings - DVC ...https://www.dvcstore.com.
I've sold our points and booked trips to rent through them and they are very good at what they do. Start checking around 2/1/22+ because of the 11 month window. You would be surprised at how many people want to unload points or reservations. You can also check out the rent/trade thread on the DVC forum to see what's happening there and maybe something will come.
And it was nice talking to you at HH on 1/7! Good luck with your planning and training!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter