Marathon Weekend 2023

I first ran the marathon in 2018 and vowed to come back for it in 5 years so 2023 is the plan. I'm debating goofy but not totally sold. Definitely not interested in Dopey, the extra vacation days, early mornings and expense just don't make it worth it for me.

I ran the full at MW2022, and have done 5k and 10k during Star Wars runDisney races. So, that just leave the Half . . . which is actually my favorite distance to race! So I'm thinking just the Half for MW2023, and maybe the 10k if I just can't resist, because I am a HUGE fan of Oswald (did the virtual 10k in 2021 just to get that beautiful medal).

During MW week, how quickly do various races sell out?
I’m trying to decide my sign up strategy for the 5k, 10k, and half.
Do you think the 10k would sell out first, followed by the 5k, then 1/2?
I’m not ready for the full, so the others don’t concern me as much.
I got shafted for SS this year and the 5k sold out as I was mid-process in signing up for the challenge....

So I've got a question for the number crunchers on here. Now that this year's races are complete, what was the criteria needed to get in each corral? I know @DopeyBadger puts together those really cool spreadsheets that show what time you'd need in be in a specific corral, but I'm not sure if he created a new one based on where people ended up.

I had a 1:51 half POT and was in corral 2 for Dopey. That was perfect and I'd really like to be in corral 2 again, but I'm betting my 1:51 will expire and my next fastest POT is 1:59. Would that place me in corral 2 or 3 or higher? I really liked corral 2 and would love to be back there.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

So I've got a question for the number crunchers on here. Now that this year's races are complete, what was the criteria needed to get in each corral? I know @DopeyBadger puts together those really cool spreadsheets that show what time you'd need in be in a specific corral, but I'm not sure if he created a new one based on where people ended up.

I had a 1:51 half POT and was in corral 2 for Dopey. That was perfect and I'd really like to be in corral 2 again, but I'm betting my 1:51 will expire and my next fastest POT is 1:59. Would that place me in corral 2 or 3 or higher? I really liked corral 2 and would love to be back there.

I do think he updated the POT thread about where it looks like people got placed based on submitted POTs. So I would check there. Not down to the specific runners, but where it appeared the time cutoffs ended up being for POT and then estimated finish times.

It's Dopey's anniversary, so it must also be the 10K's anniversary, right? Because there was no official Dopey until they added the 10K? So it's possible the 10K will sell out before the half... unless a lot more people get excited about a half... Ugh! IDK which I should go for first. The half is more important to me, but what if the 10K sells out faster?! It all makes Dopey look a lot easier, lolol!

This is what I compiled using people's estimated times and actual bib assignments. I believe it is close to reality, but there have been small anecdotal things to point else wise.

Unofficially.

For the M/Goofy/Dopey runners, it appeared to be (although I did see some anecdotal counter evidence on Facebook that I didn't dig into):
s1 = POT of 3:40 M or less
s2 = POT of 3:40 M to 4:00 M, and Platinum Club rD
s3 = 4:00-4:30 estimate
s4 = 4:30-5:00 estimate
s5 = 5:00-5:30 estimate
s6 = 5:30-6:00, 6:00-6:30, and 6:30-7:00 estimate

For the HM, it appeared to be (although I did see some anecdotal counter evidence on Facebook that I didn't dig into):
s1 = POT of 2:00 HM or less
s2 = 2:00-2:15 estimate
s3 = 2:15-2:30 estimate
s4 = 2:30-2:45 estimate
s5 = 2:45-3:00 estimate
s6 = 3:00-3:15 and 3:15-3:30 estimate

The 5k/10k seemed a bit more mixed and I don't have a good read on the system they used.

As a M/Goofy/Dopey runner, the s1 cutoff is a 1:44:08 HM or so. The s2 cutoff is a 1:53:45 HM or so (although I did see someone say they had a 1:53:50 and got s2, also saw someone with a hair over 1:24:30 10 miler and not get s2).

If you're a HM solo event runner, then s1 is a 2:00:00 HM or less.

So specific to you:

1:51 HM = M/Goofy/Dopey s2, or a HM solo s1
1:59 HM = M/Goofy/Dopey s3 (non-POT corral), or a HM solo s1

Okay hearing it’s the 10k anniversary… I could take the 5-8 off work when I’m already taking the 16-20 off right?

This is what I compiled using people's estimated times and actual bib assignments. I believe it is close to reality, but there have been small anecdotal things to point else wise.

Unofficially.

For the M/Goofy/Dopey runners, it appeared to be (although I did see some anecdotal counter evidence on Facebook that I didn't dig into):
s1 = POT of 3:40 M or less
s2 = POT of 3:40 M to 4:00 M, and Platinum Club rD
s3 = 4:00-4:30 estimate
s4 = 4:30-5:00 estimate
s5 = 5:00-5:30 estimate
s6 = 5:30-6:00, 6:00-6:30, and 6:30-7:00 estimate

For the HM, it appeared to be (although I did see some anecdotal counter evidence on Facebook that I didn't dig into):
s1 = POT of 2:00 HM or less
s2 = 2:00-2:15 estimate
s3 = 2:15-2:30 estimate
s4 = 2:30-2:45 estimate
s5 = 2:45-3:00 estimate
s6 = 3:00-3:15 and 3:15-3:30 estimate

The 5k/10k seemed a bit more mixed and I don't have a good read on the system they used.

As a M/Goofy/Dopey runner, the s1 cutoff is a 1:44:08 HM or so. The s2 cutoff is a 1:53:45 HM or so (although I did see someone say they had a 1:53:50 and got s2, also saw someone with a hair over 1:24:30 10 miler and not get s2).

If you're a HM solo event runner, then s1 is a 2:00:00 HM or less.

So specific to you:

1:51 HM = M/Goofy/Dopey s2, or a HM solo s1
1:59 HM = M/Goofy/Dopey s3 (non-POT corral), or a HM solo s1

Great this is exactly the information I needed. Thank you, and also thank you for all the work you do on these boards throughout the year helping everyone prep for the races!!!

With Lee stepping away from the SAFD weekly question I am wondering if the folks on here would like to continue that tradition? The yearly MW Thread has hosted a weekly question for several years. I really enjoy responding and, even more, reading all your responses!

Given this if we do want to continue it, we need a new organizer. I do not measure up to Lee - literally, the guy is very tall! But I would be willing to take on the challenge for this year if ppl want to do it. Thoughts?

With Lee stepping away from the SAFD weekly question I am wondering if the folks on here would like to continue that tradition? The yearly MW Thread has hosted a weekly question for several years. I really enjoy responding and, even more, reading all your responses!

Given this if we do want to continue it, we need a new organizer. I do not measure up to Lee - literally, the guy is very tall! But I would be willing to take on the challenge for this year if ppl want to do it. Thoughts?
It's really nice of you to offer to take it on. I also really enjoy SAFD and would love if you want to continue the tradition.

Random question. Say if I sign up for the Dopey Challenge and because of work I end up not being able to come until say Friday and miss out on the Dopey Challenge, but with signing up for the Dopey can still run the half and the full for the Goofy Challenege.

Essentially, would I be able to still pickup my Dopey Challenge bib on Friday (with the challenge already started) but still intend on running the half and full? Just in case work or any other emergencies happen.

@Goofy2015 i have not done this personally but for MW 2022, i went to the Expo on Thursday (was running the 10k and Marathon). I saw a sign that said Dopey pick up was at runner relations. It makes me think you still can pick everything up and still run on Sat and Sun.

@Goofy2015 i have not done this personally but for MW 2022, i went to the Expo on Thursday (was running the 10k and Marathon). I saw a sign that said Dopey pick up was at runner relations. It makes me think you still can pick everything up and still run on Sat and Sun.

I figured you'd still be able to because technically you are paying to run all 4 runs.

I think that would be great! It helps keep this thread active, and keeps the excitement up for race weekend!

Yeah this came up in the 2022 thread, people were worried about missing out on Wednesday due to flight issues, I'm guessing there was even more activity at runner relations than usual. To add to this, you actually get two bibs, one for the first two races and another for the half and full. They'll prob give you both even if you end up missing the 5k and 10k.

Random question. Say if I sign up for the Dopey Challenge and because of work I end up not being able to come until say Friday and miss out on the Dopey Challenge, but with signing up for the Dopey can still run the half and the full for the Goofy Challenege.

Essentially, would I be able to still pickup my Dopey Challenge bib on Friday (with the challenge already started) but still intend on running the half and full? Just in case work or any other emergencies happen.

In 2020 they took you picture at packet pickup and had computers at the end of the marathon to verify challenge medals. This year they did not take your picture and only checked that you had a Dopey bib before getting the challenge medals. Not sure if that will continue, but if so, it seems like as long as you finished the marathon with a Dopey bib, you would get those three medals (obviously you wouldn't have the 5k, 10k, or half if you didn't finish).

Would be great to see the tradition continue. Always fun to help keep the excitement level up during the year. Appreciate you volunteering.

However, I will say you missed your chance as you could have waited, asked this question on Sunday and then you would have had your first SAFD question done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter