Marathon Weekend 2023

I’m curious to hear more about why you thought the full was harder than Dopey. I did the full in 2020, and am debating, but intimidated by Dopey - so would love to hear more!

2020 was my first full ever and I really felt confident and trained until the weather forecasts started to show that heat. My absolute worst nightmare was that, so I went into that day just mad about it. I banked miles until the sun came up and walked the rest, got caught behind the course cut... it was brutal and I felt ripped off by the experience. I vowed a do-over and then decided to just jump to Dopey.

I didn't physically train as well, but mentally I was in a far better head space. I set myself up well by focusing the whole week on the races, taking the time adjustment more seriously, and making sure I was connected to the group for support.

I made a plan and stuck to it... in bed by 7 every night, up with plenty of time to get ready and on the first bus, make the meet ups for that boost. Then I held back and walked the 5K and 10K entirely. For the Half, I ran to the castle for pics in the dark, then took the rest easy. Whatever was left was for the full. I'm not going to say it was easy, but knowing I endured and finished my worst nightmare conditions in 2020, I knew I could get through it. I'm also super grateful for finding a runner at my pace with similar goals ( @Herding_Cats ) to hang with for all those long boring stretches and to keep me doing intervals when I just wanted to walk.

So, ymmv (literally) but being here and doing the other races helped me mentally prepare gradually for the full. I just felt ready in a way I definitely didn't for my first.

Last edited:
Looking at staying at the swan or dolphin for 2023. Can you walk back from the finish line? How far of a walk is that?

Looking at staying at the swan or dolphin for 2023. Can you walk back from the finish line? How far of a walk is that?

You can walk through EPCOT after finishing only if A) the park is open and B) you have a park ticket. The walk appears to be about 1.6 miles from the finish line area to the hotel:

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 2.25.49 PM.png

2020 was my first full ever and I really felt confident and trained until the weather forecasts started to show that heat. My absolute worst nightmare was that, so I went into that day just mad about it. I banked miles until the sun came up and walked the rest, got caught behind the course cut... it was brutal and I felt ripped off by the experience. I vowed a do-over and then decided to just jump to Dopey.

I didn't physically train as well, but mentally I was in a far better head space. I set myself up well by focusing the whole week on the races, taking the time adjustment more seriously, and making sure I was connected to the group for support.

I made a plan and stuck to it... in bed by 7 every night, up with plenty of time to get ready and on the first bus, make the meet ups for that boost. Then I held back and walked the 5K and 10K entirely. For the Half, I ran to the castle for pics in the dark, then took the rest easy. Whatever was left was for the full. I'm not going to say it was easy, but knowing I endured and finished my worst nightmare conditions in 2020, I knew I could get through it. I'm also super grateful for finding a runner at my pace with similar goals ( @Herding_Cats ) to hang with for all those long boring stretches and to keep me doing intervals when I just wanted to walk.

So, ymmv (literally) but being here and doing the other races helped me mentally prepare gradually for the full. I just felt ready in a way I definitely didn't for my first.

Thank you so much for this! So much of it resonates- and lots of ponder. But super helpful, and really encouraging!

Cautionary advice: take the bus! We stay at BCV for the longer Marathon Weekend races, and for our last Dopey it was a breeze to walk back to our room. Well yesterday it took almost two hours to get back to the room as the CMs seemed to be struggling to manage the cross throughs (they definitely need lessons from the DLR CMs who did it so efficiently). It was a mess! Anyhow, my husband said never again, and we’ll just take the bus from now on after the Marathon. Also, Swan/Dolphin get dropped off before Yacht Club, Beach Club, and then Boardwalk, so that’s a bonus!

Cautionary advice: take the bus! We stay at BCV for the longer Marathon Weekend races, and for our last Dopey it was a breeze to walk back to our room. Well yesterday it took almost two hours to get back to the room as the CMs seemed to be struggling to manage the cross throughs (they definitely need lessons from the DLR CMs who did it so efficiently). It was a mess! Anyhow, my husband said never again, and we’ll just take the bus from now on after the Marathon. Also, Swan/Dolphin get dropped off before Yacht Club, Beach Club, and then Boardwalk, so that’s a bonus!

The bus drop-off order was the opposite for the 5K and 10K. I stayed at Boardwalk and we were first those days last the others.

Last edited:
The bus drop-off order was the opposite for the 5K and 10K. I stayed at Boardwalk and we were first those days last the others.

That’s bizarre. We bussed to/ from CCV for the 5K, but our 10k bus to BCV was the normal order with Boardwalk last…. Perhaps your driver got confused. 🤔 Our half driver completely skipped Yacht Club on Saturday 😳

That’s bizarre. We bussed to/ from CCV for the 5K, but our 10k bus to BCV was the normal order with Boardwalk last…. Perhaps your driver got confused. 🤔 Our half driver completely skipped Yacht Club on Saturday 😳

Someone asked the driver about the change in the order during drop off after the half and he said they were told to switch that day from BW first to BW last. Not sure the logic or why, but sounds like driver communication was not consistent either. 🙄

How is it different would you say? I’ve only done MW.

I agree with some of the comments before me. I've only done MW and W&D at WDW but I really sense a difference. MW feels like you have runners everywhere and the whole weekend is for the runners. If I wasn't running W&D I could see not knowing it was going on other than some road closures. Epcot on Sunday felt like it was a park full of runners where I never got that feeling during F&W. You will see some people in the shirts and with the medals but it is really only during the after party that it feels like the race is the star.

Of course that all being said I do prefer W&D because I love F&W.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter