Marathon Weekend 2023

I just took a spin through there. Someone literally came up behind me and put his vibrating massage thing on my back and stated massaging me as I was walking by. I mean I get it, he needs to sell vibrating massage things and it’s a festive vibe, but I thought it was a little much.

Same thing happened at W&D to me. Not a great vibe to have some random dude start massaging my shoulders. Yuck.

Hot tip…I’ve had success in the past with asking if there any expo returns at your hotel gift shop (if staying onsite). A lot of people have buyers remorse and you can return items to any shop…I’ve scored a pin and magnets at Pop Century this way so it’s worth asking throughout the weekend!
what is the window for returns at the hotel gift shop...asking for future reference

What's the best way to try to figure out Disney transportation and getting from place to place,? Is there a way on the app? I'm need to get from the expo to Disney springs and I m not very familiar with wdw

I'm avoiding crowds at the parks by going to the expo.

Expo update:

Still here: ears, rundisney hat, magnets (except Dopey and weekend), medal pins (except Dopey and Goofy), what I think is the weekend spirit jersey (black center, light blue arms) sizes up to XL

Gone: Mugs, weekend themed tank tops, weekend ornament

Dopey and Goofy are out doing character photos.

Last edited:
What's the best way to try to figure out Disney transportation and getting from place to place,? Is there a way on the app? I'm need to get from the expo to Disney springs and I m not very familiar with wdw
You can either 1) take a bus to any resort, then get the Disney Springs bus 2) Take a bus to Saratoga Springs and walk 3) Take a bus to Saratoga Springs, Old Key West or one of the Port Orleans and take a boat or, most efficient method 4) take an uber/lyft

Is anyone going to the expo today who can report back on what dopey merch they see?

By the time my VQ time was called yesterday the merch was already picked over. Specifically crossing my fingers for a hat or the grey sweatshirt, but that kind of feels like a Hail Mary
I saw 4 of the grey Dopey sweatshirts in small. The only hat I saw was the generic rundisney.

Meetup in morning is the orange dot... By the big light pole..well one of the first big light poles right by gear check area

Great meeting everyone this morning too. If anyone new is coming tomorrow just look for the 6’6” giant standing with a group of people by the light pole. You’ll find us then.

I had to run to Target today so I picked up bright colored card stock and a Sharpie! I'll make a sign that says "DIS" and make the tall guy - aka @surfde22 hold it. (I got enough to make one for each race so nobody gets stuck carrying it.)

I just know that I have been bitterly disappointed that neither Jake from State Farm nor Patrick Mahomes have put in an Expo or pre-race hosting appearance as representatives of the primary race weekend sponsor. Maybe they’re saving them for the marathon!

As a lifelong Chiefs fan, I'm all for this! They should be fresh off a win in Vegas, so Mahomes could take a direct flight. Maybe bring Kelce and Big Red along too??

Last edited:
Does anyone know if disney sells After Hour tickets day of on a sold out night? I know sometimes they do for party nights.

The conventional wisdom is “no they don’t sell day of, but you might be able to add 1 person to a party that already has tickets“.

We had to xfer our Xmas Party tickets to the MK AH on Monday because our flights were canceled due to Hurricane Nicole in November. I do think they ended up selling day of tickets on that night, because certainly there were probably a TON of people who had to cancel/postpone.

Good luck! It can’t hurt to try.

Some additional encouragement for the remaining races:
1. You can do it.
2. If you pulled or injured something but can walk, or are feeling under the weather, go do the race (assuming you won't do further harm to yourself). A good walking pace is sub-16 minute miles, and a brisk walking pace is sub-15 minute. In other words, plenty fast enough to stay ahead of the balloon ladies.
3. Pace yourself. Better to finish and get that medal than to over-exert and not finish. Set the PR somewhere else.
4. You can do this.
5. Even if you finish last, you are way ahead of all the people who didn't train and aren't out there. Plus you get your own fireworks at the finish line.... (yeah, the thought has occurred to me to sandbag just for that).

So were the lines stupid long for all the characters during the race?
Idk if anyone else experienced this but I felt like the lines got longer as the race went on instead of shorter. I know the 5K lines are typically very long (which is why I have entirely skipped 5K character photos on many occasions), but I thought that they’d get shorter as we got further into the race and that just didn’t happen. Moral of the story, if it’s the 5K, you like the character, and you want the photo, just stop and wait for it!

Are there characters on the second day at the expo?
I went back this evening and was surprised to see Goofy and Dopey still taking photos. I think the board said they’d be there until 6:30 tonight.

I know in the past dtech on demand at springs has phone cases, magnets and in past years magic bands you can get with race branding if the expo is a lost cause
The dtech magnets are more expensive than the expo ones, and are a different design, but they’re a good alternate. I ended up buying a couple from a Disney Springs during Springtime Surprise last year when the regular ones sold out. Another tip (this might be common knowledge but I had no idea until today) you can also get dtech on demand items made at the big top souvenir shop in MK (across from Dumbo).

Idk if anyone else experienced this but I felt like the lines got longer as the race went on instead of shorter. I know the 5K lines are typically very long (which is why I have entirely skipped 5K character photos on many occasions), but I thought that they’d get shorter as we got further into the race and that just didn’t happen. Moral of the story, if it’s the 5K, you like the character, and you want the photo, just stop and wait for it!

I went back this evening and was surprised to see Goofy and Dopey still taking photos. I think the board said they’d be there until 6:30 tonight.

The dtech magnets are more expensive than the expo ones, and are a different design, but they’re a good alternate. I ended up buying a couple from a Disney Springs during Springtime Surprise last year when the regular ones sold out. Another tip (this might be common knowledge but I had no idea until today) you can also get dtech on demand items made at the big top souvenir shop in MK (across from Dumbo).
Good to know about the MK one… I wanted the DTech Magic band for W&D 18 and was told it was only at studios (despite friends getting Dark Side print on demand items that year in studios)

Holy moly are my feet shot tonight. Currently soaking them in an epsom salt bath, taking Motrin, and I’m going to stay off them as much as possible tomorrow (the race, HH, and a 5:00 dinner are our only plans tomorrow.) Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who clearly overdid things on Tuesday, overdid it just a little on Wednesday, and is paying for it today?

Thinking I might sleep in my compression socks tonight too…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter