Marathon Weekend 2024

SAFD: Running the marathon during Dopey this year. It holds two places in my heart.

1. It was the official completion of Dopey for me. My first attempt was in 2017 when the half was cancelled.
2. Most importantly, I finally broke 4 hours in the marathon. I had trained through a pretty brutal MN winter and felt more ready than I ever had. I settled into a pace early that was a bit faster than I had been training for, and was a little worried about maintaining it through the whole race. To my surprise the pace never really slowed and each mile was pretty consistent. Coming out of HS I realized I was going to do it and it was a struggle holding back the tears the rest of the way to the finish. Then I saw my wife and kids as I made the last turn for the finish, and as much as I wanted to kick hard to the finish, the legs told me know. But I was well under the 4 hour mark at that point so just cruised in for a 3:50 finish!

SAFD: A lot to choose from over 5 MWs but I'm going to pick this years HM where my oldest son completed the half on his 16th birthday and got a shout out from the announcers as we cross the finish line.

Honorable mention because it has become a funny story in our family. My first marathon in 2018 I had some stomach issues starting around mile 6 but cleared up when I got to real bathrooms in AK. Second half was great. We make a point to take a picture near those bathrooms each time we visit AK. BTW, I blame making bad choices the day before at Beaches and Creams.

For a second I was like, "Wait, is today Tuesday???" But no, still Monday. Don't panic 🤣
lf

SAFD: So many years of MW, so many memories! I will just say my top 3:
- Back in the days of lights on the castle, busting it to get to MK while it was still dark and rounding the corner onto Main Street to see the castle all sparkly and lit up was incredible
- In 2018, on the way to HS from WWoS they were blasting "Sweet Caroline", and everyone was singing at the top of their lungs - such a great moment!
- This year I ran the 5K with my youngest and the half with my oldest and that was pretty darn special!

I'm sure this exists somewhere already but I'm having trouble finding it - do we have a play by play on registration and what information you need?

Also separate note last year I made a mistake and used the wrong e-mail when I signed up for the race (i.e. not the e-mail address that is also my e-mail I use for my Disney Experience) and it ended up causing a miss match which I had to fix in person at the EXPO.

Is Disney IT ready for tomorrow. Although I have a DW annual pass, I noticed that DL annual passes were going on sale tomorrow. Can they handle two concurrent registrations? We shall see......

The only redeeming (maybe?) feature is that the DL passes are going on sale no earlier than noon ET. One would hope that the MW registrations will mostly (or completely) be done by then.

SAFD: It's been 6 MW trips (so far), and they've all been great in their own way, but 2018 has to be the most memorable. Between friends and family, our group numbered 17 people, spread out over two OKW studios and a grand villa, which served as HQ and party central. Among various "firsts" we celebrated, it was a first Dopey for me, a first Goofy for a running club friend, a first half for my mom (at age 76!) and a sister-in-law, and a first full for my son, wife, and a brother-in-law. Getting to finish races alongside friends and family made it so much more memorable. Definitely my favorite Marathon Weekend.

5k: 34min
10k: 51min
Half: 40 min
Full: 58min
Goofy: 63min
Dopey: 47min

SAFD: I’ve only done one marathon weekend, but the best part was seeing my husband with my kids as I got to the last corner before crossing the finish line of the full. The photopass photographers got a picture of me blowing my boys kisses, and it’s probably one of my favourite pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter