• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2024

Who needs a food court when you have Sanaa in walking distance from your room lol.
Our family is more of a burgers/fries, pizza, chicken fingers, pasta, etc. That is why we had to go to the quick service place at Jambo so much. LOL. Getting adventurous with our dining is the mash potatoes getting mixed in with the other food on the plate. LOL. So the food court food is right up our alley. LOL.

Our family is more of a burgers/fries, pizza, chicken fingers, pasta, etc. That is why we had to go to the quick service place at Jambo so much. LOL. Getting adventurous with our dining is the mash potatoes getting mixed in with the other food on the plate. LOL. So the food court food is right up our alley. LOL.
I am not adventurous myself. Sanaa may seem extra adventurous but overall it really isn't. I will go just for the bread service which is worth it in itself.

We stayed at Kidani this year for MW. Of course our room was in the very back of the resort. There were a few other runners back there also. It was funny bumping into them making the walk back and forth to the lobby. It was a slow walk. LOL.

While it was a really nice resort and having the animals outside our window was awesome, the distance between the lobby and our room was a killer. Also, I missed having a true food court as an option. We drove over to Jambo a couple of times to hit the quick service food place by the pool. After the marathon, I decided to go back to my room late afternoon. I had zero desire to drive back over to Jambo again and make that walk through to the restaurant. I ended up buying frozen burritos from the lobby gift shop and cooking them in the microwave in my room. LOL. I think for 2024 we are going to try for Port Orleans Riverside again. It worked out so well in 2022. Close to Epcot and good food court.
My DH and I stayed there for MW 2022 (first Dopey) and it was amazing. Food choices are limited (but that is everywhere unless you want sit-down), but it is quiet which is what we were after with 4 early mornings!! Also, we had a car and it was super-easy to get to Epcot and have great parking.

We’re looking at renting some points for a savannah room at Kidani - Anyone have experience with taking the bus from Kidani/Jambo to the races? After Princess 2022 I’m a little paranoid about bus services with multiple stops LOL
I stayed there a few years ago. No bus issues. I agree with the food situation though. Not the best for me. Especially as a solo traveler I don't like doing that much sit down. If that doesn't bother you, it's a great resort choice for a race weekend. Very relaxing.

Signing up today, so I don't forget it. (10K). Sub 55 or die trying.

Pam is still on board to be the dam dog sitter.
Oh good I was going to ask about that again. I did not want to lock Whisky up for so long. It will be about a 2 hour drive out, but at 5 am might be 90 minutes. It is still waking up later than a Disney race. I am also signed up for PTRR but I only had POT from PTRR in 2021 so i think i will be in coral g, maybe f. Bert is NOT running PTRR so he will be out with Whisky cheering.

The FOMO is real though. I get it. Iron Man runs through our town every year. When I am out on my lunch run, I see the Iron Man competitors training/working out. I tell myself I could do one and start the wheels rolling in my head. But then seeing the cost and really thinking about it, I usually talk myself out of it. LOL. One of these days I am just going to do it without thinking.
I get FOMO being an IM spectator and I don’t bike or swim 😂 those athletes are incredible. My husband has done two and at the time we thought it was so expensive but now I have him beat with all my rD events.

if not I'm sure I'll meet people and make new friends! Looks like there's a lot of solo travellers here!
I always travel solo MW! I miss my husband and kids but it’s also nice to be on my own schedule. You’ll meet lots of people! As the weekend gets closer we could always see if anyone wants to meet up for things like meals on top of pre-race meet ups and HH.

I stayed at Jambo in a very far from the lobby DVC studio for MW this year and enjoyed it. I was nearly as far as you could be from the lobby and it was a 4-5 minute walk, it’s not that bad. I always used the stairs down since it’s just two flights, faster than the elevator. A friend drove me to the races from Jambo which was very quick, we left the lobby around 2:55-3AM every morning and I ALWAYS saw race busses waiting, so I recommend catching an early bus. The expo buses were plentiful as well, never waited much if at all. It’s only 5 minutes between Kidani and Jambo so you have a 5 minute longer ride one way both not both ways (I forget the order). I took the bus from the races to AKL and the line always seemed shorter than at other resorts, and buses were never full. Never waited outside for a bus a single time going back, I always walked on. Had one bus snafu coming back from the HM (driver was confused) but all other trips were smooth and under 15 minutes back to Jambo.

I am trying Riviera next year because I enjoy having early dinner in the parks and would prefer the IG entrance for Epcot and being closer to Disney Springs. But I would still go back to AKL for a race weekend, renting points is such a good deal. I ate at Boma and Sanaa and the Mara and loved those options.

I get FOMO being an IM spectator and I don’t bike or swim 😂 those athletes are incredible. My husband has done two and at the time we thought it was so expensive but now I have him beat with all my rD events.

I always travel solo MW! I miss my husband and kids but it’s also nice to be on my own schedule. You’ll meet lots of people! As the weekend gets closer we could always see if anyone wants to meet up for things like meals on top of pre-race meet ups and HH.
The solo runDisney trips are great! I meet people and just do my own thing. I just sent my family off to MCO while I stay behind for Springtime Surprise! The family vacation was great but now it's me time!

We’re looking at renting some points for a savannah room at Kidani - Anyone have experience with taking the bus from Kidani/Jambo to the races? After Princess 2022 I’m a little paranoid about bus services with multiple stops LOL

Just echoing others - totally fine for buses. However, I would highly recommend you ask the DVC owner to make a room request facing the Sunset Savanna near the Rafiki or Timon elevators. They may do it, they may not, and of course DVC room requests are never guaranteed by the hotel either, but this is your best shot to avoid a ridiculously long walk back to your room.

During a normal stay, the long walk is fine. For Princess weekend 2020, I was in a standard view Kidani and requested a room near the Pumba elevator because those are some of the very few standard view Kidani rooms that have a partial/obstructed savanna view. Well, I got it. What a dumb idea that was. I was walking/partially limping after my very first half marathon over a half mile down an endless hallway. It actually made me giggle how absurdly long those hallways are!

Anyway, yeah - request Rafiki or Timon elevators if your DVC owner is willing to do it.

Depending on what room you would like, I would not wait long on securing something ASAP. I could be wrong here, but the Value Studios have very few rooms while I think the Studios have a lot more options and going up in room category would probably have some options as well. For personal research, if you dont mind, let me know when you end up booking and what you end up with. TIA!

Depending on what room you would like, I would not wait long on securing something ASAP. I could be wrong here, but the Value Studios have very few rooms while I think the Studios have a lot more options and going up in room category would probably have some options as well. For personal research, if you dont mind, let me know when you end up booking and what you end up with. TIA!

OP mentioned Kidani and the Value rooms are Jambo-only, so that's not an issue. But yes, you are correct - as I recall there are only 18 Value studios at Jambo. They go insanely fast.

If you're planning on renting DVC for MW, go do it ASAP unless you want to stay at OKW or Saratoga (both of which I enjoyed a ton because being further from the parks makes me feel less like I'm missing out on "Disney" and it's so close to DS and all of the food options there.)

We booked our stay late last week, and it was already down to pretty much only SS, OKW, and savanna studios at AK, and who knows what's left now that registration is done.

Last edited:
Oh good I was going to ask about that again. I did not want to lock Whisky up for so long. It will be about a 2 hour drive out, but at 5 am might be 90 minutes. It is still waking up later than a Disney race. I am also signed up for PTRR but I only had POT from PTRR in 2021 so i think i will be in coral g, maybe f. Bert is NOT running PTRR so he will be out with Whisky cheering.
Signed up for the dam run. Sub 55 is probably a dream for me.

Also signed up for PTRR. I will be running with my Bro. E-F for us? We'll make plans to say Hi at the finish.

What's the likelihood that I could do the Keys to the Kingdom tour on the same day as the 5k?

Last corral should be out by 5:45, so, provided you don't dwaddle too long, you should be done by 6:35 at the latest.

Maybe if you decide to forego cleaning up after 🦨, or shouldn't be a problem. If you get done sooner, you should be able to go back to the room and clean up a little.

If you're planning on renting DVC for MW, go do it ASAP unless you want to stay at OKW or Saratoga (both of which I enjoyed a ton because being further from the parks makes me feel less like I'm missing out on "Disney" and it's so close to DS and all of the food options there.)

We booked our stay late last week, and it was already down to pretty much only SS, OKW, and savanna studios at AK, and who knows what's left now that registration is done.
I took no chances. I asked a friend of mine to look for an AKV 1BR-Value before this past Halloween. She started walking it around Thanksgiving. Yeah, she walked it for 2 1/2 months. The sad part was she needed a month to even squeeze in to start the walk.

However, I would highly recommend you ask the DVC owner to make a room request facing the Sunset Savanna near the Rafiki or Timon elevators. They may do it, they may not, and of course DVC room requests are never guaranteed by the hotel either, but this is your best shot to avoid a ridiculously long walk back to your room.
This. While the room requests are not guaranteed, I've had good luck either getting what I requested, or stopping by the front desk and seeing if something else is available.

So as we've established I'm a complete newbie to all this but so overwhelmed and excited!

I'm travelling from the UK so flying in and trying to work out WHEN to fly in?! I'm guessing I'll be completely shattered after the Sunday 26.2 and will just want to crash will my legs even work the next day to walk around the parks?! So I was thinking of going Thursday - Monday or Friday - Tuesday.

Also - accommodation for travelling solo - do you find a disboard buddy to bunk with?! I am so in over my head, aren't I?! :duck:I don't have DVC membership... oh god haha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter