Marathon Weekend 2024

Mmmm, that is definitely something to consider. We are staying at the Yacht club for MW and from what I have seen on the boards, the EPCOT resort area buses seem to be the ones people have the most issues with so that could be a good alternative. Thanks!
A little more data, a couple of other times I stayed at the Swan and at the Swan Reserve. Both times the Swan was the first stop for the buses (so there was no danger of a full bus passing your stop by). And the Swan is just a short walk from the Yacht Club (although it might seem farther after a half or full marathon!).

Having a rental car for MW is so nice. You can sleep in a little longer and then when you get to Epcot, you can relax in your car for a little bit before heading to the corral. Then using the rental car to go to the parks. I used to be a bus only guy. Then one trip I used the rental car to go to the parks. From that point on, we now only drive to the parks.
Having a car is sooooo convenient. And for some resorts it's borderline necessary with how long the walk to the bus stop can be or how long a shuttle bus can take. We always rent a car, and always drive to the parks (except for MK...that one we bus) but it really is a different experience than taking the race busses to/from the start/finish area.

The walk to the car after the race is rough, though. :D
YES. I pack something I can sit on in my gear check bag because the lines for the busses post race can be long, especially if you're on a bus shared by multiple resorts (like OKW and SSR.) But walking another mile back to the car? No. I was going to get pics with all of my dopey medals at that golden mickey statue after the marathon and that was definitely out of the question once the race was done.
Has anyone had experience with being dropped off via car by a family member? Do they have a drop-off area? Did you find it less stressful than the buses?
I don't think it's any more or less stressful than bussing. DH dropped me off for the half and the full this past MW, and it was really easy since you just follow the signs for ride-share pickups and drop offs. The trick is having someone willing to get up that early to drop you off. DH went back to the room and was able to go back to sleep which is unusual for him.

SAFD: I am staying at Yacht Club this year. It will be my second time at the resort (although first for MW). I stayed at Beach Club last year and loved it. My one complaint is the bus situation to the races. Beach Club is the third stop for a bus route shared with BW and YC and for the half marathon three busses in a row pulled up with like 10 seats left on each of them. Hopefully being at YC will make that a little less frustrating.

I just cannot seem to get away from the Epcot resorts. Nothing beats a 3-minute walk into IG at Epcot and a short boat ride or walk to HS. I also love the Boardwalk area. I do really want to try a monorail resort on MW someday, ideally Poly. I just always seem to gravitate back to the Epcot resorts. I am staying at CBR for Wine & Dine and I am excited to try something new. Having at least skyliner or monorail would be my baseline. I don't like the idea of only riding busses to get to the parks.

I don't think it's any more or less stressful than bussing. DH dropped me off for the half and the full this past MW, and it was really easy since you just follow the signs for ride-share pickups and drop offs. The trick is having someone willing to get up that early to drop you off. DH went back to the room and was able to go back to sleep which is unusual for him.

I'm the Designated Driver during the races, which lets my DW concentrate on her running.

I'll actually participate in the 5k with her 😊

For the 10k, I'll hang around the food trucks and merch tent before moseying my way to the finish line.

For the half, I'll go to MK, try to find her, usually fail miserably, and then go back to Epcot to the finish.

For the full, I'll kiss her off by gear check, go back to the car, and go take a nap in the vehicle for a couple of hours, before waking up and trying to figure out where in The World she is.

SAFD:

Good Morning runDIsney All-Stars! It is time for Sunday’s Are For DIsney and here is today’s question: With it being summer time how do you deal with running in the heat?

My Answer: I do not do well, heat has always been a huge challenge to me. I try to avoid the heat by getting up early, or running late in the evening. I do slow down and make sure to drink water. I just spent a week down in Florida, always a bit sad to leave MK, but the summer heat was absolutely killer so that made it a bit easier. It was a good reminder of how mid-Michigan summer heat could be so much more challenging! Seriously, how do you runners in the South deal with the heat and humidity!?! Back in the cooler weather up here I had to change my “Days to Disney” from 1 to 177… The wait begins again! Hope everyone has a good week!

SAFD: I also don’t do well in heat. I’m quite thankful runDisney starts as early as they do. It may be warm but the sun makes it worse!
I’ve been getting outside at 6:30am Sundays this summer, and so far I’ve been able to finish all my runs outside. I have a treadmill so I know I can move inside if I need to. I try to do as much as I can outside though.

SAFD: Treadmill

We are currently headed home after a staycation at Fort Wilderness. I ran three times while I was there and cut two of my runs short. It was absolutely disgusting outside even before the sun was up 👎 My shoes were wet and it was not from stepping in puddles! I opted to do today’s long run on my treadmill in the AC when I get home.

SAFD: I run in the morning, around 7 am. Now that I am in marathon training mode, I am actually following the prescribed paces, which are slower than I seem to run when just out running. So that is helpful. I do consult the T+D chart, but pretty much fail in adjusting downward. So far the worst T+D has been in 140 range.

SAFD: I'm having a very hard time with the heat and humidity this summer. It seems like as I get older I get less tolerant of it. I've had to bail out of a number of long runs this summer, walking during the second half of them. At times I wonder if I'm really having that much harder a time with the conditions or if my will to push through them is flagging.

One thing I need to get better at is getting out the door early on the weekends before the morning cloud cover burns off. I get seduced into a false sense of security that the T+D is just going up by 6 or 7 degrees between dawn and when I'd like to start my run. It doesn't feel so bad getting started, but then the clouds dissipate and the T+D spikes with full sun beating down on me. The same heat and humidity under clouds is very different than in full sun.

ETA: Still a big no to the treadmill, though.

SAFD: you are all making me feel better. I am struggling much more with the heat this year than I normally do. I don’t think it is exceptionally hotter than usual but my body is not liking it at all. I run early in the morning between 6:30 and 7. lower sun seems to help but this year am struggling. i am blaming it on menopause symptoms, so thought it was only me but that is not @camaker excuse 🤣. my next race is a half in Augusta as part of an IM 70.3. i have taken all pacing and chucked it but I still try.

SAFD: I suck it up as I don’t have a choice. :P I always bring a handheld water bottle with me. My neighborhood has a community pool and I’ve been stopping there midway during my runs to rinse off my arms/face and also fill up my bottle. I do run/walk most of the time, and switched to :15 second run intervals just to keep my heart rate down over the summer. For continuous runs, I go on the treadmill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter