Marathon Weekend 2024

First marathon, first Dopey and a sub 6 finish time :)

Despite all of the setbacks this season, the hours of physical therapy have finally paid off and I finished and beat my goal. I was legitimately trying not to cry as I crossed the finish line, I really didn’t think I’d be able to do it.

So is this a good time to ask about how it went with volunteers/staffing? Haven’t heard any complaints, which I’m guessing is good?
I thought they were amazing! No running out of bananas or Biofreeze for the slower runners this year (which I know is more of a supply issue). They were upbeat and eager and there were TONS of them. I got so I’d wait until towards the end of the Powerade/water stations so I could take one from a volunteer at the end, since there were so many of them that most runners had what they needed by the end of the line.

I felt bad at one point because I took my Powerade and was trying to get it down quickly before I got to the water station. I choked and wasn’t able to thank the nice young man who handed me my water.

The medic volunteers were very friendly and helpful too. I had to slather most of my accessible body in Biofreeze. That stuff is awesome.

Even those intimidating guys on bicycles at the end were super nice about kindly “suggesting” that I might be more comfortable taking a bus back to the finish rather than struggle unsuccessfully to keep up with the balloon ladies, and those ladies themselves were charming and encouraging—for next time, haha.

And the people on the bus looking after us on the “ride of shame” back to Epcot were upbeat and supportive.

In spite of not finishing I thought it was a great year. Except for the rain. I had it all the way into MK and I couldn’t see through my glasses and it really slowed me down. And then my wet clothes chafed pretty badly. But I can’t blame my DNF on the rain at all, that was all me!

@GADisneyDad14 Races will always be there. Sometimes life circumstances are more important. It’s always so hard when you have to make that decision.

Agreed! Even when I’m tired and dying I appreciate it- but the death face may be stronger at the moment!
I got a lot of those faces 😂
First marathon, first Dopey and a sub 6 finish time :)
CONGRATS!

Anyone going at 2pm to DATW? I’ll have to hop over from MK.

Finished! ✅ @Mr_Incr3dible caught up with me at around the Poly and we finished the race together. Thanks for being my running buddy today!

I was not expecting/prepared for rain this morning and ducked into the Gaston bathrooms to check the radar. Once I saw it was going to be a quick hit, I decided that I would stop at the med tent backstage and grab some Vaseline. Slathered up my feet, wrung out my socks, and got back to it. Other than that, the race went how I figured it would for me…..I got through the first 10 well, mile 15 ok, and then “just finished” the rest. This may have been a Disney marathon PR for me? I’m not sure. Andrew had us really power walking when I usually just stroll along. And I’m really bad at stopping my watch at the finish line 😂

Everest was standby/single rider when we came through and the CM said both were 30min, so we didn’t wait. By the time we got to HS stopping for a ride was going to be a terrible idea because I’m not sure I would have stood back up.

If we join DATW it will be at 2:00 for us as well; MK medal pics are getting priority. Please post an update in here for that if we do make it over!

Eta: it looks like I did pick up some small blisters on the tips of a few toes, but nothing that appears serious and no chafing.

Last edited:
I finished!!! Third time’s the charm. It was fun & I felt good almost the entire time. I kept up my 2:1 intervals through the end with exceptions for walking the ramps (the one at 22 was rough) and some food breaks. My legs and feet are definitely feeling it now though.

I tried to ride Everest but they wouldn’t let us in the standby line. I met a donkey though so that was awesome. And I have a great castle photo.

IMG_5594.jpeg

So here's a strange question. I believe I've stumbled upon someone who had a Dopey bib but did not herself run all 4 races. It looks like she ran the 10k and the half, but a different woman used her bib for the 5k and a man used her bib for the marathon. Whoever wore the bib for the marathon did not finish, tracking last shows them at mile 20. Is there someone I should report my suspicions to?

So is this a good time to ask about how it went with volunteers/staffing? Haven’t heard any complaints, which I’m guessing is good?
On course I thought was great, especially given the weather. It seems each stop pushed the most positive dude they had to the front as a hype man, Nice touch.

Off course, OTOH, DW had to deal with some guy who was apparently the stroller police, trying to tell her she couldn’t strap in our 18 month old on an empty patch of grass, and wanted her to move (with a unstrapped toddler) to a pathway with people walking about? 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, she ignored him. Those folks are always about and are just part of it.

The announcers on Saturday ignored all the people running about to get their miles in. They did the same thing in 2017 (even joking nobody ran) when the half was cancelled, and tons of people got their half in on their own. Protecting the sensibilities of people who didn’t? I don’t know, but it rubs me the wrong way.

But those are my only complaints for race weekend, which is pretty good! (Merch/expo is a permanent complaint, so that doesn’t count.)

So here's a strange question. I believe I've stumbled upon someone who had a Dopey bib but did not herself run all 4 races. It looks like she ran the 10k and the half, but a different woman used her bib for the 5k and a man used her bib for the marathon. Whoever wore the bib for the marathon did not finish, tracking last shows them at mile 20. Is there someone I should report my suspicions to?
I’m not sure they would care, but the main email is the only way to really contact them I think.

Bib swapping, bib mules, bandits, and course cutting are a perennial scourge of any marathon. It certainly violates the terms of rundisney, and you could always send an email to them. There’s a website called marathon investigation that publicly shames cheaters.

The announcers on Saturday ignored all the people running about to get their miles in. They did the same thing in 2017 (even joking nobody ran) when the half was cancelled, and tons of people got their half in on their own. Protecting the sensibilities of people who didn’t? I don’t know, but it rubs me the wrong way.
I'd guess they didn't want to be seen as liable for people unofficially running outside the designated course.

Congratulations to all today’s runners! Reading all the posts definitely has me looking forward to running the marathon again next year! I spent some time spectating at DHS before heading to the airport.

I hope everyone who’s doing DATW enjoys it! I’m adding this to my 2025 goals after finally making it to HH this year!

Safe travels home and/ or to Disneyland for those of you doing those races!

@DopeyBadger I think I forgot to confirm that I was in B for the half with Bib# 410XX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter