Marathon weekend- ONE park- adults only

7KLucky

Mouseketeer
I could plan a trip to Disney for my family and walk away happy, confident, and excited....

My sister and her husband are running the marathon next weekend and want to go to ONE park. Its all they can afford. They have 6 kids at home and want to take a family vacation in the next year or so, but for now its just the two of them.

I've described each park, what my teens love, and what my littles love and just can't settle on advise for her.

IMHO you can't do Disney without a visit to MK, BUT that is probably because I delight in the joy of my babies. I am really thinking she might like HS best.

Advice anyone? They are in their early 30's. My sister has been once when she was 9 and all she remembers is walking through the countries in Epcot and its a Small World.

HELP!

I would do Epcot if I only had to pick one. I'd save MK for the family trip and seeing it for the first time through my children's eyes.

I would do Epcot if I only had to pick one. I'd save MK for the family trip and seeing it for the first time through my children's eyes.

Thank you! Because of Soarin, TT, MS, or what? Just curious

I'm going to say, what is probably a shocking opinion and say, Animal Kingdom.

If they are going to do the family trip later, they will definitely get their fix of MK and Epcot, and AK will probably get shoved to the bottom of the list. But for very first timers, AK shouldn't be too overwhelming, FP+, dining reservations aren't 100% necessary, if you wake up late, you aren't "penalized" too badly. The park shouldn't be too crowded. And I'd put AK's roster of attractions, if you've never seen them before, against any of the parks, and possibly more appealing to adults depending on their interests. They might enjoy watching one of the vet procedures, first thing, that they might just skip if all the kids are there. Safari, rest of the animal exhibits, Flights of Wonder, FOTLK, Nemo show, Dinosaur, Everest are all top notch, the first time you see them.

But if they want the Mickey thing, than do MK. If they want to drink around the world, do Epcot.

I'm going to say, what is probably a shocking opinion and say, Animal Kingdom.

If they are going to do the family trip later, they will definitely get their fix of MK and Epcot, and AK will probably get shoved to the bottom of the list. But for very first timers, AK shouldn't be too overwhelming, FP+, dining reservations aren't 100% necessary, if you wake up late, you aren't "penalized" too badly. The park shouldn't be too crowded. And I'd put AK's roster of attractions, if you've never seen them before, against any of the parks, and possibly more appealing to adults depending on their interests. They might enjoy watching one of the vet procedures, first thing, that they might just skip if all the kids are there. Safari, rest of the animal exhibits, Flights of Wonder, FOTLK, Nemo show, Dinosaur, Everest are all top notch, the first time you see them.

But if they want the Mickey thing, than do MK. If they want to drink around the world, do Epcot.

Very interesting perspective! Thank you :)

MK. Honestly, I wouldn't pay the one-day ticket price for any of the other three. They're only worth about $50 at most for a one-day ticket IMO.

I like the previous advice about going to AK - though how much impact would the avatarland construction have on their first impression of WDW?

From a more practical perspective, MK might be worth a "trial run" on thier own before visiting with their 6 kids - especially if most of the kids are relatively young.

If you are Thrill seekers, do DHS. If you are foodies, do Epcot. Otherwise, MK is the way to go.

I agree with you, in my opinion, you can't do Disney without at least a day at MK. A close second would be Epcot. There are so many rides at MK and it is just so magical! If they want a slower pace and you think they would like meandering around the countries at Epcot and maybe enjoying an adult beverage or two, then I would advise Epcot though.

I personally would not recommend AK.

Hope they enjoy their day! :)

Adults only one day you usually point them over to Epcot mainly for World Showcase and it does have a few good rides in Future World,Test Track and Soarin.AK is the last one people will usually suggest as it's the least Disney of the parks and the shortest hours as it usually closes like at 6pm.MK is obviously the most Disney of the parks,has the latest hours on many days and most attractions.DHS has a great theme and two of the best thrill rides next to each other but this park right now is in transition with attractions closing(Backlot tour,Idol,January 7th the hat starts coming down)as the park will likely be in heavy construction to add new attractions over the next couple of years.Pretty much whenever someone mentions they only have one day for one park the answer is simple,MK or Epcot,they're the two most popular parks with many people considering AK and DHS half day parks,so that's my suggestion MK or Epcot,now just figure out what they want to do,if it's been so long they don't even remember MK then that might be the best option,Epcot's biggest draw is the World Showcase as it is like the adults playground and has great fireworks.

If they are going during Marathon weekend you might want to consult the hours the parks are open, I was surprised to see Ak closing at 6 and DHS closing at 7 this weekend. If I am paying for a 1 day ticket I want to get full use. I don't know what races they are running but that should be considered too.

If they are going during Marathon weekend you might want to consult the hours the parks are open, I was surprised to see Ak closing at 6 and DHS closing at 7 this weekend. If I am paying for a 1 day ticket I want to get full use. I don't know what races they are running but that should be considered too.

I was going to say this too. If MK is open until 2am I would suggest that! I love epcot, but if it closes at 9 and you have one day...that said, I do think it is the best adults only park. Maybe they could have a cocktail at the Poly before going to MK!

Epcot would be my first choice for adults. I would choose MK only if the park is open much later. Also. I may try to extend vacation and go a day after the race to avoid race day crowds. Does the race end at Epcot?

Absolutely 100% Magic Kingdom. This will offer a true full day experience. Do not do Hollywood Studios, this is the weakest of the 4 parks.

Also, crowds during Marathon week were not bad at all this past year, the day of the race traffic is backed up so allow an extra 30-40 the morning of the race.

When I did the marathon in 2013, I bought a one day hopper so I could do MK and Epcot. Then I saw AK had morning EMH so I decided to got there to ride Expedition Everest. I ended up meeting a friend there and we spent the day doing our own park marathon. When we discovered HS had evening EMH, we headed there at the end of the day. So the day after runnig the marathon (me) and Goofy challenge (him) we did four parks from start to finish, had tequila shots, and ran to make the last ride at HS before they closed. I was exhausted but it was a great way to keep moving and keep stiffness away. That would be my suggestion. But if they can only do one park, Epcot would be my choice. Especially if I was going with husband. Strolling around world showcase can be so romantic. Maybe we'all lose the kids somewhere in Epcot this year ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter