• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marriott Vacation Club

CanadaDisney05

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I've heard about Marriott Vacation Club and was wondering if there is any good sources of information. I'd really like to look at the options around Disney World/Land, and understand the cost comparison to DVC.

Edit: Any opinions on any other point based timeshare system for someone who will primarily visit Disney, but may also use elsewhere?

Last edited:
The TUG boards are a pretty good resource for non DVC timeshares https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/marriott-vacation-club.29/

Personally I wouldn't ever buy into a timeshare other than DVC. It's easy to rent those timeshares though, I know lots of folks rent at Bonnet Creek. I readily admit I don't have a good understanding of other timeshare programs though. Some folks really seem to get a lot of value out of them. They're not for me though as we like to mix up our non WDW vacations.

Yes, TUG is a good place to get started.

I have a small DVC contract and a 2BR nonbranded timeshare in the mountains of NC. I can break apart my 2BR into 2 1BR deposits each year and easily pull most Marriotts and Sheratons in the WDW area for trades. Not sure I recommend owning in Orlando even if that is where you want to stay...

Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I've heard about Marriott Vacation Club and was wondering if there is any good sources of information. I'd really like to look at the options around Disney World/Land, and understand the cost comparison to DVC.

Edit: Any opinions on any other point based timeshare system for someone who will primarily visit Disney, but may also use elsewhere?
We love our Marriott. The Royal, Imperial and Sabal Palms are 2 and 3 bedroom. No lock-off just one large condo. We have owned for 11 years and used our points for tours, cruises and condo rentals all over the country. We purchased direct and resale to build our portfolio. I have never wasted a week or a point because I plan ahead.

You could also check into Hilton Grand Vacations Club resales. Don't buy direct. HGVC has four resorts in the Lake Buena Vista/Orlando area.

I'd really like to look at the options around Disney World/Land...

Noticed you mentioned Disneyland. I have stayed at the Marriott Newport Coast resort. It was great for exploring Southern California but it was a bit far from Disneyland if that is your focus.

DVC only has 1 tiny resort near Disneyland so you would need to own there and book early if you wanted to stay there consistently.

I have seen the Marriott near Paris, France pop up as a possible trade but I have yet to try it. It's very close to Disneyland Paris but a bit of a train ride into the city.

Personally, I prefer the weeks system but if you have a strong preference for the points system, others can explain it.

I've stayed at several Mariott properties around Disney. They are all very beautiful and honestly bigger/better than DVC. I think Mariotte is good as well as Wyndham as far as being able to go other places if you want. It's best to get a time share where you can trade within their system for multiple properties vs. relying on RCI or Interval for trading.

We've taken some great trips with my parents Wyndham owndership (smoky mountains, Aneheim, Myrtle Beach, Willaimsburg etc.) I think Mariott has a similar trading system as Wyndham.

As others have said buy resale! You can get those properties for pennies on the dollar and sometimes mostly free.

We own a timeshare out of Vegas. It's its own entity and can only trade through Interval or RCI. Worst decision ever. We can't even give it away.

We love our Marriott. The Royal, Imperial and Sabal Palms are 2 and 3 bedroom. No lock-off just one large condo. We have owned for 11 years and used our points for tours, cruises and condo rentals all over the country. We purchased direct and resale to build our portfolio. I have never wasted a week or a point because I plan ahead.

I see you joined today.

*** Welcome !!! ***

Check the https://www.fidelityresales.com/ resale site and you can see resale pricing on Marriott properties and others. It really is pennies on the dollar.
As far as I know there is no expiration date, so you are on the hook for ever increasing maintenance fees in perpetuity.

Last edited:
As far as I know there is no expiration date, so you are on the hook for ever increasing maintenance fees in perpetuity.

Doing some research yesterday, this seems to be the one key thing that is very scary. Even if Marriott is a brand with a strong reputation, in 75 years that may no longer be the case. Don't want my kids to be stuck with something that they cannot afford.

Doesn't seem like there are a lot of other options other than disney that have expiry dates.

Doing some research yesterday, this seems to be the one key thing that is very scary. Even if Marriott is a brand with a strong reputation, in 75 years that may no longer be the case. Don't want my kids to be stuck with something that they cannot afford.

Doesn't seem like there are a lot of other options other than disney that have expiry dates.
The kids do NOT have to inherit an estate asset. They may choose to decline it. The timeshare would be yours for YOUR life to either use or rehome.

The kids do NOT have to inherit an estate asset. They may choose to decline it. The timeshare would be yours for YOUR life to either use or rehome.

Thanks. Rules may be different here in Canada. From my understanding, in Canada you get to choose to inherit/decline the entire estate. You don't get to pick and choose.

Thanks. Rules may be different here in Canada. From my understanding, in Canada you get to choose to inherit/decline the entire estate. You don't get to pick and choose.
Oh, ugh. Even if the asset (resort) is in the U.S.?

When closing my parent's estate, we asked the Attorney to write a letter declining my parent's New Orleans timeshare. Easy peasy. However, all involved were U.S.: parent's citizenship/residence, trust, resort, children, etc.

Oh, ugh. Even if the asset (resort) is in the U.S.?

When closing my parent's estate, we asked the Attorney to write a letter declining my parent's New Orleans timeshare. Easy peasy. However, all involved were U.S.: parent's citizenship/residence, trust, resort, children, etc.

I'm not a lawyer. I have been an executor to my dad's estate and there was no asset we would like to have declined. But from all of my readings, it's an all or nothing. Of course, if the estate has a negative net worth, you can decline the estate and not be held liable for the debts.

The fact that the asset is in the US may change things. I would need to have that clarified with a lawyer.

We own at DVC and at the Marriott love them both and use them to their fullest every year

Go over to tugbbs and look around. All the major brands of timeshares are covered at the Tug site (even DVC). Besides our DVC points, we really like our resale Wyndham points. Wyndham has resorts all over (even around Disneyland). We have stayed at Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk, Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bonnet Creek (sits close to Disney’s Carribean Beach), and Wyndham Smoky Mountains.

We used to own a Marriott week but just recently sold it as we have enough with our DVC points, Wyndham points, and independent week we own at Lake Lure North Carolina (which gives us access to the Marriott brand through the exchange company Interval International).

Good luck with your research. Tug has a newbie survey you can take on what to buy. Take your time. I studied for 6 months before I ever bought anything else besides DVC points.

Another plug here for TUG for helping to sort out the various timeshare systems but more importantly to help you figure out whether buying/owning a timeshare is right for your family at this time. Lots of opportunities to rent timeshare units too.

We have friends who own both DVC and Marriott and have stayed at their Marriott in Hilton Head. Way better units than at DVC Hilton Head. JMO.

We have friends who own both DVC and Marriott and have stayed at their Marriott in Hilton Head. Way better units than at DVC Hilton Head. JMO.

I appreciate the recommendation to go to the TUG site for information. We have owned DVC for almost 20 years and have used and very much enjoyed our membership. Now that our kids are older (and we have more vacation time) we're thinking of adding another timeshare. We've stayed at one of the Marriott timeshare resorts in Hilton Head and one in Maui and both were beautiful top notch facilities. I just don't know anyone who has purchased Marriott recently who can comment on whether it's better to buy resale or directly from Marriott in order to get all the benefits of membership.

I appreciate the recommendation to go to the TUG site for information. We have owned DVC for almost 20 years and have used and very much enjoyed our membership. Now that our kids are older (and we have more vacation time) we're thinking of adding another timeshare. We've stayed at one of the Marriott timeshare resorts in Hilton Head and one in Maui and both were beautiful top notch facilities. I just don't know anyone who has purchased Marriott recently who can comment on whether it's better to buy resale or directly from Marriott in order to get all the benefits of membership.
Buy resale. Whether you buy Hilton, Marriott, any of them, buy resale. You should have gotten that from the TUG site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter